Latest FZ8 Pics!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i'm looking forward to the specs being released. at this point i'd be one of those to say that if i was going to move up i might just get the fz1. especially if it's the same size bike. if on the other hand it's lighter and more nimble, then i might would think about it. too bad they didn't do the undertail exhaust. that is the single feature that caused me to first notice the fz6. never really like the pointy sportbike tails.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
This bike was built to compete with the Speed Triple, the Aprilia Shiver, etc... all the 700 - 800 cc bikes. Yamaha needed a middle-man to fill a gap where sales are increasing for other manufacturers.

I considered the Shiver as an option to the FZ6 (and other 600cc bikes). It's power/torque numbers are in line with a 600cc 4cyl (as are most V-Twin bikes in that size range). The Triple is closer to what the FZ8 class wise. If they actually bring the naked version to the US it would be more viable competition for those to bikes in particular.

Availability also comes into play. I live near the 4th largest city in the US. We have ONE Aprilia dealership. I think we have FOUR (one of them keeps such a low stock they barely count) Triumph dealers. Yamaha dealers, we have at least 10 with similar numbers of the rest of the Big Three. Real world shoppers will be looking at and comparing what is available near them. It's competition in most showrooms will be it's big brother, in multi-brand dealers what will it be up against?

It's really a difference of how much HP you want to use on the road. If you want the FZ1 motor, you'd just buy the FZ1. ;)

Again, let's be realistic. Not counting the small number of forum members and newbie riders with actual commen sense, people will always have that bigger is better mentality. I mean, have you been keeping tabs on the big twin cruisers? My god!! Do we really need car sized engines in our bikes? Nope. But the demand is there because in the good 'ol USA we have to have the biggest and baddest.

That is why, IMO, the FZ8 (at least here in the US) will get overlooked in favor of the FZ1. I mean the styling and the size are just to close to the FZ1 for it to be different enough for people to look at it as an alternative.

Last edited:

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
yamaha_fz8.jpg

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is the new FZ8 is going to replace BOTH the FZ6 and FZ1. With mfgrs trying to trim their lines this seems like the smart move. Why have both an 800 and 1000 version of, what is essentially, the same bike?

Tim

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is the new FZ8 is going to replace BOTH the FZ6 and FZ1. With mfgrs trying to trim their lines this seems like the smart move. Why have both an 800 and 1000 version of, what is essentially, the same bike?

Tim

This makes sense from a Yamaha perspective. Similarly, they seem to be positioning the Star 950 to replace the 650 and 1100 in there cruiser lineup. At least that's what most seem to think. Not very logical thing to do looking at it from the outside, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Your name says it all, OMG WTF!!! :D

The faired version is f-ugly. I prefer the naked look with this model. The least they could have done if they are going to offer the faired version is put a full fairing on it!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Your name says it all, OMG WTF!!! :D

The faired version is f-ugly. I prefer the naked look with this model. The least they could have done if they are going to offer the faired version is put a full fairing on it!

Haha yeah I am not displeased with the look, but not overly impressed by it.
If you just want looks, buy a Ducati !!
Hopefully Yamaha will blow us away with some other innovative features.
I'll hold judgment until the engine specs and full feature list comes out.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
u see, no centerstand too. Which means they are going for sportier look in the same way they did with the Gen II FZ1. And that looks like the same FZ1 tank which means 4.75 gallon capacity compared to the fz6 5.1. But FZ6 doesn't give that good mpg for me. 40-50. whereas FZ1 33-50

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
u see, no centerstand too. Which means they are going for sportier look in the same way they did with the Gen II FZ1. And that looks like the same FZ1 tank which means 4.75 gallon capacity compared to the fz6 5.1. But FZ6 doesn't give that good mpg for me. 40-50. whereas FZ1 33-50

um... the FZ1 comes with a center stand.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
I'll miss the dual underseat exhaust, however at least it'll be cheaper to get a can for this one, as opposed to cans. :)

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking forward to seeing the FZ8 but am a little dissapointed! Meh! It doesn't really look like a bike for 2010 but more.. 2005. I don't think its unattractive but its just a bit... safe? and that exhaust is fuggly. Not to mention the tail looks like it would be more at home on a sporty scooter. I still prefer the FZ1 looks for now and I know when I come to upgrade, which I'm hoping is sooner than later... I'll give both a try - but am 80% sure my vote will land with the FZ1 from what I've seen so far. (Unless the tank range is a whole lot better)

The other side of me is now thinking... hmm.. why fix want aint broke? It does look similarish to the FZ1 which has been proven to sell well so maybe thats why they played safe.

*shrugs*

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking forward to seeing the FZ8 but am a little dissapointed! Meh! It doesn't really look like a bike for 2010 but more.. 2005. I don't think its unattractive but its just a bit... safe? and that exhaust is fuggly. Not to mention the tail looks like it would be more at home on a sporty scooter. I still prefer the FZ1 looks for now and I know when I come to upgrade, which I'm hoping is sooner than later... I'll give both a try - but am 80% sure my vote will land with the FZ1 from what I've seen so far. (Unless the tank range is a whole lot better)

The other side of me is now thinking... hmm.. why fix want aint broke? It does look similarish to the FZ1 which has been proven to sell well so maybe thats why they played safe.

*shrugs*

+1 In this economy playing safe is best bet and I think the FZ1/R1 engine if sleeved down will have good torque but it remains to see how much they modified it when they bored it in.

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Not feeling that bike at all. Someone please tell me why Yamaha continues to make those ugly exhausts!

Very happy that I already put money down on a Street Triple R!!!!!!!!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive decided i like it.. the naked at least.

that scooter exhaust would have to go and i reckon an fe kit would look awsome, but the package overall looks ok..for me, the only factor is price.oh and the occasional Series 1 gremlins.

What we need to do is get over the fact that FZ6 is now obsolete and accept the 8 for what it is..some are saying it looks too much like an FZ1..i think its staying true to the FZ series..anything else would just make it a different bike altogether..i guess what im saying is ,you cant please all the people all the time.BUT i'd like to think it will be a success

would i buy it..NO!! i'd buy an FZ1 ..however i will be booking a test ride as soon as it hit the showroom floor...so many contradictions

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
shame about losing the undertail exhaust

but they should now make the FZ1 into a 1200cc machine.