Just got over 7k RPM for the first time... WOW!

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there,
I'm a new guy but I've heard the rumors of how the bike transforms over 7k RPM. I just wanted to say that they're all true!

I was accelerating today in 2nd and saw that I was heading toward the magic mark. Being a pretty new rider, I generally try to keep it under 6k, but I decided to go for it and kept on the throttle. It's truly amazing how the bike goes from "touring" to "sport"- Acceleration becomes smoother and the whole bike just feels different.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that kickass experience. As a sidenote, I'm still trying to figure out whether it's better to start from a rest in 1st or 2nd. I've found 1st to be a bit too touchy but 2nd is difficult, especially on hills. Any thoughts from the seasoned riders? Thanks for the input!

-John

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually shift at 6 to 7K. It makes the transition much smoother than at lower RPM's. And yea, 10-12K is where you hit max HP. I love it up there, that's where the bike was meant to be at.

MORTI !

M.A.MEMBER
Reaction score
WWW.KOBO.CO.UK
always first.....then just ring it's neck all the way to the red in as many gears as you can get through in as short a possible time......then check the expression on your face....

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty crazy huh! once you get past 13k there isn't much left. Start in 1st. You'll get used to it. Also, when shifting from 1st to 2nd try and preload the shifter a little so its not as clunky til you get it down good

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also start in first and you will get smother with the clutch, I promise. the bike is a ton of fun in the higher revs!

S

sportrider

:D start in first, save your clutch. beside the 1st to second power wheelies are fun!!!:thumbup:

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
400kms to go until I can explore the post 7k rpm goodness! After reading this thread, I can't wait now! Just wish it would stop raining so damn much so I get the mileage done... :)

F

formula154

When I first got mine the cluch lever had no play in it at all. It had to be let out almost completely to start moving. I put some play in the cluch lever so that the engine engaged closer to the handle bar. It made it a lot eaiser to be smoth. Try it, you'll like it.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
400kms to go until I can explore the post 7k rpm goodness! After reading this thread, I can't wait now! Just wish it would stop raining so damn much so I get the mileage done... :)

Why can't you explore it now? Break your wrist or something? Seriously, check your manual... all it says no prolonged operation above 7000rpm during breakin... You should take the bike up to redline here and there during breakin to properly seat/mate the parts. Trust me, it won't hurt the bike... in fact it will run better. I pretty much redlined nearly every bike I have own just pulling out of the dealership....:thumbup:

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate all the input! Sounds like 12k is the next frontier.

I practiced my 1st gear starts today and have found that it works much better when you're not pansy-footing it. Just give it gas, ease out the clutch and don't even try to go slow!

That's the big thing that I had to discover about this bike- it doesn't like to go slow. Anyway, I'm going to try to get a few more miles on it before Gustav comes to town. I'll let you know how 12k and beyond feels! -John

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Why can't you explore it now? Break your wrist or something? Seriously, check your manual... all it says no prolonged operation above 7000rpm during breakin... You should take the bike up to redline here and there during breakin to properly seat/mate the parts. Trust me, it won't hurt the bike... in fact it will run better. I pretty much redlined nearly every bike I have own just pulling out of the dealership....:thumbup:

Thanks for the info, this kind of confirms what I have heard from lots of places... looks like for the last 400km, I'll ride like 'normal' and start stretching it's legs :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate all the input! Sounds like 12k is the next frontier.

I practiced my 1st gear starts today and have found that it works much better when you're not pansy-footing it. Just give it gas, ease out the clutch and don't even try to go slow!

That's the big thing that I had to discover about this bike- it doesn't like to go slow. Anyway, I'm going to try to get a few more miles on it before Gustav comes to town. I'll let you know how 12k and beyond feels! -John

12000rpm is all she wrote, if you look at a Dyno graph of the FZ6 power curve, it all stops dead at just over 12000rpm, that's when the rev limiter cuts in.

Stimson

Reaction score
Visit site
something to look forward to then, new to the road riding thing, got myself a 2008 version and haven't managed much past 6k yet..... still running the motor in

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
12000rpm is all she wrote, if you look at a Dyno graph of the FZ6 power curve, it all stops dead at just over 12000rpm, that's when the rev limiter cuts in.

12,000rpm? My rev limiter doesn't interrupt the party until 14,000~ rpm (into redline)... Maybe you got the a further detuned version...;)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
12,000rpm? My rev limiter doesn't interrupt the party until 14,000~ rpm (into redline)... Maybe you got the a further detuned version...;)

Same here....my rev limiter blows the whistle on the fun at just a smidgen over 14,000 rpm. It's not really an issue for me if the HP and Torque reach a plateau between 12,000 rpm and 14,000 rpm.....my Scorpions make it worthwhile to visit that plateau and visit it often. :thumbup: