FZ6 S2 - Acceleration issue when riding in the rain

carcrusher

Reaction score
Visit site
Apologies if this isn't in the right place. I've recently been on a longer trip and I got caught in the rain a few times for long period of time. When this happened I'd have an issue with the acceleration.
From around 4-4.5k rpm the bike would accelerate very slowly, so the revs would slowly go up and when it hit 6k rpm I'd get a jolt and the bike would finally accelerate normally.

Some other details:
- the bike is a 2008 FZ6 S2 with almost 40k miles on the clock
- this happened only while cruising on the motorway (it was constantly raining, nothing torrential but just enough to cause a lot of water spray on the road)
- in the dry I had absolutely zero issues with the bike
- the bike has been serviced fairly regularly
- after I got back home I opened up the air filter box and found a lot of oil in it, not sure it's related but maybe worth mentioning (https://i.imgur.com/WDSqt68.jpg)
- I checked the error codes and it's showing error 33 Malfunction detected in the primary wire of the ignition coil (#1, #4).

I'm not really sure what's going on, my guess is that somehow water got into the engine and mixed with the air/fuel but why would that happen?

Update: I'm guessing based on that error that water is getting in somewhere and causing misfires?

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I'm guessing based on that error that water is getting in somewhere and causing misfires?

More than likely one of the ignition/sparkplug wires is getting water past the connector. With 40,000 miles you might consider new cables. In any event, I would make sure the wire/connector is tight and then use a zip tie to keep it from walking out.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the coil is bad. This have anti theft? Before pulling apart; start it, let it warm and take water mister bottle and spray the plug wires. No listen for misfire.

It may not miss under such light load so rev it slightly. Still if no misfire after spraying you will want to pull the coil for that code and look it over for cracks.

It sounds like the coil is leaking energy under load.

Just because the wires being wet don't induce a miss the coil could be leaking... You'll want some light and magnification. Let us know what you find. Should inspect both, all 4 wires, and pull the plugs too.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but you might want to take a look at the last posts of this thread: https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6...on-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps-6.html

I did the Coil Over Plug mod and it works GREAT. I purchased 4 FZ07 coils, 4 connectors and some 14ga wire. Total cost of the mod was less than $80 US, far less than replacing with new FZ6 coils (approx $ 180.00 for the 2 needed). The real advantage is that it eliminates the plug wires and caps, a MAJOR source of vibration.

carcrusher

Reaction score
Visit site
So I took a multi-meter and measured the resistance of both ignition coils, primary one looks good and within the specified range but the secondary one showed 35 ohms when the manual says it's suppose to be between 12 and 18. So I'm guessing this is the culprit?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It could be but what you need to know you can't test for. High voltage arc over. It is the coil or wires that literally pass your spark energy to ground instead of the spark plug tip.

Did you ever inspect the run stop switch?

At this point swap power wires and see if the error follows the coil.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't but I'll give that a try as well

What do you mean exactly? My knowledge of figuring out electrical stuff is somewhat limited.

Connect the coil output wires as they were. Swap the input wires....