Minor issues solved, without realising?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently I've done two minor maintenance/tuning tasks and I seem to have cured issues I didn't know I had.

The first was a new battery. It let me down at work last week, I assumed because I'd been teaching my 2 year old to start the bike, flatted the battery and killed off that crucial last cell to keep it viable. Now I can't believe the aggression it has on start up. One quick click of the start button and she roars into life. I hadn't noticed the extra moments getting longer and longer with each start. Even the fuel pump sounds healthier at priming for ignition on.

The second was to reset my idle speed. Again, I just hadn't noticed that it had slipped, and it was only at a petrol station, scrolling through the dash functions, trying to remember how to reset the time that I noticed it was down to 1000-1200 rpm. With that bumped up to 1400-1450 rpm, the throttle response is intense. That lag rolling on from a closed throttle (that I also hadn't noticed after growing accustomed to it) is totally gone, the snap of 2nd/3rd/4th gear roll ons through twisties is nicely aggressive and the engine brake is crisp. And the noise! I hadn't realised how quiet it had become.

Anyone else rejuvenated a bike with something simple they didn't even realise it needed?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced my battery last week which I knew was failing. The dash would go out completly ONLY while cranking. Voltage would drop to as low as 8 volts but always started.

As I've had a new battery waiting to be filled and charged for year, I figured it was time as I don't want to get stuck and have to push start.

As you noted, it spins over considerably faster, the dash doesn't go out any more either.

I keep my idle at 1,100 as it doesn't seem to clunk as bad into first, its a little smoother and I like the additional engine braking. BTW, even with the BD43 mod, I'm still just above 13 volts at idle. :thumbup: