Increasing FZ6 Top Speed

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry but 170? If you want to go that fast(assuming on a track and you're not dumb enough to do this on a public road), you're gonna need a liter bike.

The FZ6 with stock power and stock gearing can barely hit 140. There just simply isn't enough power. With hearing changes, you can hit redline in 6th, but it'll drop your top speed.

By the way redline in 6th with -1/+2 is around 136MPH GPS verified.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
this guy got to 165 mph
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzSVR-iiZjI]FZ6 chasing CBR 600RR ( top speed 265 Km/h ) - YouTube[/ame]

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
Laza no that is not me haha. This bike is great and i love it for what it is i just can't understand how his 600 can hit those crazy speeds and ours is like 30mph short. Even with a gear change up its still not going to make it there. I mean i'm only like 7hp down on him. I love how this thing feels its just i wanted to know is it just power?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the way the FZ's engine is tuned, power is whats holding it back... Difference between the FZ and your buddys ZX6 is the Kawi is a SuperSport wheras the FZ is a standard, Re-tuned for more real world usefullness. What you lose in performance (very little) you gain in comfort, take a 300+ mile trip with your buddy and i'd be willing to bet money he's begging you to let him ride the FZ :D

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
No doubt he is just nuts on a bike and i don't mind being slower its just it sucks to say i have basically the same power maybe a bit less and he can pull on me all day lol but its ok i know i'm way more comfortable and it is very much more usable on a daily basis.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
is it me or does that not look like he's going that fast

It doesn't to me either... although more worryingly i think they shoulda named that vid "FZ6 Riding very poorly and making an arse of himself" or perhaps "How not to ride a motorcycle" :rolleyes:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on changing your gearing slighly.

A turbo or super charger would probably get you there.

I actually did count my teeth after you had mentioned it before and I do have stock gears and I did some research after that and apparently the way it's geared stock 155mph should be top speed rpm restricted I can't remember exactly what my speedo said I think it read like 16?mph so far I've only been able to do it twice I guess the conditions have to be perfect and every other time that I've had a camera its like the motor just didnt have anything left after 13.25k. So I guess without proof I can't prove anything but I promise I've hit redline in 6th with stock gears

Please post the research. Everyone that I have seen post the math calculated high 160s actual at redline w/ stock everything, that is worlds apart from 155.

I'm guessing the two times you did it you were actually in 5th gear :D Stock gearing is 16/46

Not trying to be annoying, I just think you're missing something. :Flip: But what do I know...

EDIT -- posts 29 and 35 refer to the math/physics

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/15146-1-front-sprocket-qs-2.html#post432890

this guy got to 165 mph

Just to clarify, 165 indicated (as opposed to actual)

Last edited:

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the help. Its great learning about this bike even though i might have to sell it to fund a new car :( but i will try my hardest to not sell it because it is awesome!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
this guy got to 165 mph

but that guy was also insane....

now that I have the 17t front and a few other things I would bet that with my 120lbs on it that the FZ could possibly get close to 170??
but im not about to get the camera and go prove it :D its not worth it just to say i can

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
He said he has around 110 hp (I know its probably closer to 102) and we got into a roll on race.

I love this bike and it is super fast. Could you make it go 170 with a taller rear end ratio? I live in ohio so right now is down time and a great time to work on the bike.

Also i was curious if the 14,000 rpm limit is just for safety or would a port and polish to the heads help you pick up some power and help it breath better up top?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not gonna tell you to get an R6 or why you should be happy with what you have. IMHO: That's kinda off topic and doesn't address your original questions :thumbup:

The best you're gonna do without major internal engine mods (I would even call these prerequisites to internal engine mods) is basically the same as you can do with pretty-much any bike:

1)get a full exhaust system
2)Airbox mod, with high flow filter
3)remove secondary throttle plates or replace with trimmed ones.
4)EFI management module (PCIII, PCV etc. etc.)
5)To get the Nth degree of performance from the above, The #1 must-do is a custom dyno tune from a reputable tuner.

6) -1 on the front sprocket. Theoretically, it will decrease your top speed "potential" but the bike will get there easier and quicker. Of coarse you can do + teeth on the rear instead, or in addition to, which will have the same effect (Increase the final drive ratio (shorter gear)). FWIW: Most bikes don't have the power to hit the rev limiter in top gear, so increasing the ratio will actually result in a higher top speed. I know it's kinda counter intuitive, but that's the way it works out (With a lot of bikes!)

I've seen people on this forum (and elsewhere) reporting anywhere from low to high 90's dyno tested RWHP after the above mods 1 thru 5 or combinations of. I've probably left out a couple performance tweaks but you get the idea.

That will definitely close the gap between the two bikes (EDIT: I gues I was misunderstood, so let me make it clearer. I'm not saying the bike will be equal in performance to the ZX6, just saying it will help close the gap "some" and is going to be the best that you can do without internal mods, and even then, it won't be a ZX6)(IMHO, it'll be better then the ZX6!! but not as fast or as quick or handle as good :) ). The problem still remains, that if he has done any of the above to his ZX6, he's that much ahead of you anyway.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry but even doing all those mods is not going to get you 30 more mph, you'll be lucky to get 5-10. I'm fairly sure Wolf has put like 15k into his bike and i'm fairly sure we'd have heard about it if his top speed had increased that dramatically.

Speed costs money, and speed comes in all different packages, it's gonna be cheaper to add a liter bike to your stable than it will be to make the engine do something that it was not intended to do.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site

If you look at his Spedo he is running in KPH so it is more like 102mph. I will say on my 04 FZ6 I have topped her out at 159mph. Now with that being said I have talked to a tech and discussed what it would take to get her higher which really was not to much. When I get a camera I will top her out again to prove that it is possible to go well over 120mph on a FZ6. Remember from 04-06 the FZ6 came stock with the fallowing ratings 72 kW (98 PS) (97 HP) @ 12,000 rpm and 63.1 N·m (46.5 lbf·ft) @ 10,000 rpm VS the 07 and up (non S2) 57 kW (77 PS) (76 HP) @ 11,500 rpm and 51.7 N·m (38.1 lbf·ft) @ 10,000 rpm.

Now you are talking 97hp on a bike that weighs in at 423 lbs stock. Power to Weight Ratio is 1:5.36 which is not the best but still not shabby.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at his Spedo he is running in KPH so it is more like 102mph. I will say on my 04 FZ6 I have topped her out at 159mph. Now with that being said I have talked to a tech and discussed what it would take to get her higher which really was not to much. When I get a camera I will top her out again to prove that it is possible to go well over 120mph on a FZ6. Remember from 04-06 the FZ6 came stock with the fallowing ratings 72 kW (98 PS) (97 HP) @ 12,000 rpm and 63.1 N·m (46.5 lbf·ft) @ 10,000 rpm VS the 07 and up (non S2) 57 kW (77 PS) (76 HP) @ 11,500 rpm and 51.7 N·m (38.1 lbf·ft) @ 10,000 rpm.

Now you are talking 97hp on a bike that weighs in at 423 lbs stock. Power to Weight Ratio is 1:5.36 which is not the best but still not shabby.

265 kph is 165 mph, not 105 mph... :thumbup:

and can you give a source for the 07 having less hp? Pretty sure my 07 is 98.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a 3 year old thread guys geeze lol.

The fz6 can reach 170+. You just have to put the bike on the center stand, put it in 6th and bang it out.

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!?!?!???

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
When I get a camera I will top her out again to prove that it is possible to go well over 120mph on a FZ6.

of course it can do well over 120.... I know of an anonymous individual who sat at over 120 for 10+ miles the other night... and with the 17t it runs out of power at 153... the R1 however, does not run out of power lol

this thread is officially ALIVE again. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He said the non S2 is less...I believe all of the Euro ones are running less.

I believe S-1 and S-2 series FZ6 were 97 crank H.P. In 07 European models had the horse power reduced. Don't know how the reduction was accomplished. Possibly a mechanical throttle limit?

Keep in mind you speedo has error that averages around 4-5 mph. when you're at about 60 mph. This error is not linear and the error becomes greater the faster you go.

I had a professionally dyno tuned FZ6, K&N filter, Two Brothers slip-ons and Power Commander. I wanted to keep the motor with a healthy A:F ratio. The bike made an honest 98 rear wheel H.P.

Important things to remember: Over 100 mph. is really just a number to any motorcycle 250cc and up.

When reading the following be assured I know what the thrill is all about.

If I were to assess my well being only, without anyone else involved, I have to accept what the possibilities are in a crash. I have had more serious injuries in crashes so I'm not just guessing, I have experience and I'm ATGATT. Assessing my responsibility to others that love me as well as innocent people that may become involved is very important.

Please be safe and don't worry about a few mph at the top of the spectrum that most all bikes are close to and concentrate on skills in turns and longevity in motorcycling. :)

Last edited: