2007 FZ6 display issues (incorrect speed and rpm)

Gusti

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! I recently bought a FZ6 and both the RPM and speed show incorrect values. For example when I'm driving at 70 km/h (the bike has an external additional speedometer that shows the actual speed) the display shows well over 200 km/h and the RPM seems to indicate much higher numbers than what it sounds like. For example when idling it sounds normal but shows 3-4k and when I'm driving at and cruising along in a high gear the rpm shows 8-9k, which it doesn't sound like at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar issue or have any ideas on what it could be?

Since I have the additional speedometer it works just fine, but I would like to fix it if it's possible and not to much of a hassle to fix :)

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this additional speedometer tapped into the speed sensor on / in the transmission?
First thing I'm thinking is that is going.
Second thing I'm thinking is if someone changed the gearing if that is possible, or something along those lines. I don't know if the engine or gears can be swapped from an R6 for instance.
I also don't know if the speedo could be or need reprogrammed or calibrated.

Gusti

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for replying! The speedometer is completely external with it's own sensor at the front wheel (is looks like a simple "regular" bike computer), you can see it attached to the front suspension. I don't think the engine or gearing has been replaced, but since it's 16 years old and has gone through a couple of owners I don't know what has been done to it unfortunately. It does however seem to be down-tuned because it's registered with only 77hp and not 98hp for some reason, but it's my first bike and I'm a new rider so I figured it's probably more than enough to start with anyway :)

Thanks for the tip on reprogramming or calibrating the speedo, I'll see if I can find anything on that!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The indicator can not be recalibrated.

I can not think of a situation that would cause the indiactor to read high (for both speed and rpm), other than a failed indicator.

Reaction score
Visit site
If the tach sensors are sending bad information to the computer, then the calculations of speed would be off despite the transmission sensor, yes?
I think I saw threads on here about something called the speedo healer, some aftermarket device plugged in somewhere. I think it's intent is when people change to different sprockets or something. I caught wind of it when my VSS went.
The 77 vs. 98hp has something to do with a bracket on the throttle. I think there is a thread or so on here for that as well.
As for if it's more than enough, you'll find out how much you can stomach. I meet people with years of riding (not certain what that translates to in actual miles for many of them) who are still afraid to go over 60, and others who have months that go for the gusto.
Nice touch on the regular bike speedo install.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Speedohealer is plug and play. You figure your speed shown vs actual speed.
Then, adjust the unit until you get the correct output on the speedometer.

As noted, there is no factory/Yamaha adjustment of the speedometer...

They make cheap, very small tachometers that the wire wraps around a spark plug wire.
Their fairly accurate and will take the guess work out of your situation..

A higher end electronic tach I use for mostly small engines:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a CPU within the stock instrument cluster. The CPU gets its related information through a single data line that comes from the ECM on the bike. If the engine is running normaly the CPU within the cluster is likely electronically compromised.