Increasing FZ6 Top Speed

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted about a year ago and i was talking about buying an FZ6. Well i did! I got an 07 with about 2000 miles on it for right under 4,000. Well here is my dilemma and its not a big one. My cousin has a 2009-2010 Kawasaki ZX6r I am curious if there is a way i can get the same get up and go has he has. He said he has around 110 hp (I know its probably closer to 102) and we got into a roll on race. I pulled up to about 125 and he came past me at 140. Is there anything i can do to get a higher top speed out of the FZ6. I love this bike and it is super fast. Could you make it go 170 with a taller rear end ratio? I live in ohio so right now is down time and a great time to work on the bike.

Also i was curious if the 14,000 rpm limit is just for safety or would a port and polish to the heads help you pick up some power and help it breath better up top?

Thanks in advance!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking you'd need a new engine to get it faster than his... When it comes to top speed, a bikes HP is what keeps acceleration going... you'd have to add probably 15 horsepower to even be in contention plus you have to remember they tuned the fz for more mid range power.... you're talking rebuilding internals and messing with gearing in order to stay with him...

I think it would probably be less of a pain in the arse if you just bought an r6, or an fz1 tbh :D

Just my .02

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Go naked, go on a diet (loose 50lb) wide open exhaust and a pc3 dyno tune for top end power and you might be able to hit the revlimiter, I have hit it before with stock gear but yamahas stock gearing will give you the best top end for what this motor is capable of safely

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that you'd have to spend considerable money and time, at the expense of reliability, to make your FZ6 comparable to your cousin's ZX-6R.

Is 125 mph not fast enough for you? Excepting the very rare freeway full-tilt blasts, when are you really going to have occasion to wind it up to full speed anyway?

You should definitely look at the -1 front sprocket and possibly +1 or +2 rear, that will really make a difference in the off-the-line torque, but it will eat away at your ultimate top speed because of the gear ratio change.

I'll take more bottom end torque every day over any top-end gain, because I ride on the street only on the FZ6. I'd rather have a little more oomph to smoke people off the line, or at slow speed roll-ons, than try to get my bike into triple digit MPHs where you're just going to get a ticket or killed.

Try the gearing changes! You'll definitely leave your cousin behind ... at first!

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys its been a great year of riding and its just that if i could keep up to around 120 i think i would be happy and i think i might have him up to 60 because of the gearing of the FZ6. And yes! 125 is PLENTY just curious if it could be done. I looked into the FZ1 but even that doesn't have the top speed of the ZX6 i really don't want to go that fast because well i ride for pleasure not for speed (most of the time). Just so you know i pulled ahead from 60-110 then he blew past me. I also weigh a little more than 230 so i know that a 50lbs drop would help a lot. Does anyone know what the maximum power you coax out of these engines is. I've heard around 115 hp at the crank.

One more thing, if i pulled the head off and had them worked over would the internals be able to handle more revs? Or are the internals inferior to the R6.

Thanks for the quick responses!

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is some info from Motorcycle Consumer News for the 2004 FZ6. It was in the 2004 shootout of 600 cc standard motorcycles.

Measured top speed ......136.0 mph
0–1/4 mile ..................11.32 sec. @ 118.01 mph
0–60 mph ....................3.44 sec.
0–100mph ..................8.05sec.
60–0 mph ........................116.5'
Power to Weight Ratio ........1:5.36
Speed @ 65 mph indicated ....59.5

They have a graph that shows the peak SAE corrected rear wheel horsepower as 85.8 hp at 12k rpm. I would guess that 86 rear wheel hp is about 93 or so at the crank.

Here is their comment on the engine:
The FZ6 makes the most power in the “naked” 600cc class, and will run like a scalded cat if revved high, but it is surprisingly torquey and responsive at much lower engine speeds. Vibration makes itself felt at 6000–7500 rpm but is still tolerable.

FZ6 is a fast 600cc standard, but it's not intended to be a race bike like the R6. Hope this helps.

1/2%normal

Motorcycle Tech
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a bunch of internal mods and theres really nothing you can do (over winter) to get the stuff your looking for. maybe a dry shot of NOS but then youre lookin at blowing seals and maybe the rings cause the pressure as well as it reving higher then its limited to causing valve float. over rev+valve float=piston hitting valves=major damage aka sucking valves and needing a new cylinder&top end. just go buy a 1000cc or a 750cc and you can smoke him all day any day

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for the help. I'm sure over a winter i could over haul the motor if i needed to but not something i want to do. I think you guys are right. I just was curious. So do you guys think that 100 at the tires might be do-able with a dyno tune and exhaust?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Not from just those 2 alone, maybe add the air box mod, k&n filter, r6 cams, and while you mentioned it a good port job that might hit 100whp

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
From about 86 rwhp to 100 rwhp is a lot to ask. You may be able to do it with enough mods, but I don't know if that's a cost effective route. Good luck.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand you, mustangman, but really, if you'd wanted a super-sports bike, you should have bought an R6.

Love the bike for what it is, a much more tractable, comfortable bike for the 95% of the ride, when you're not doing insane speeds.

Sure, he might be faster, but at those speeds, he is more than likely well beyond his ability to emergency stop/avoid etc.

I have done the big speeds (when the CBR Blackbird came out, I took it to 250kms+ (155mi/hr) on a public road) - an incredibly stupid thing to do, and I realise how lucky I was not to die or kill someone else)

But, can you REALLY say you're enjoying the bike at those speeds?

No, you're enjoying the rush that comes from insanity.

So, if you can't be with the one you love (bike)
Love the bike you're with!

Cheers,
Rick

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all i really am happy with the bike as it stands...and it is so comfortable! I wanted to do an r6 cam swap but honestly i think its fast enough and yes i agree i'm glad i don't do that very much because it was very dangerous. Though we did do it at like 2am when no one was around. I enjoy this bike so much. It gets pretty good gas mileage and it is a hoot to drive. I would like a bit more stiffness from the front supsension but i hope to lose some weight :D. Thanks guys for all the help...i can't help but wonder...mmm turbo FZ6....lol

D

Dave.TX

I would like a bit more stiffness from the front supsension but i hope to lose some weight :D.

I can say I'm roughly 35lbs lighter. I understand these bikes are set up for a 150lb rider. You can change the oil in the front suspension or go ahead and get some Racetech or similar springs set up for your weight. I'm waiting on Hyperpro springs, they're taking forever to deliver (it's been over 14 weeks since I ordered them).

I've gone on a ride with sportbikes, 750's and 1000's, and they left me behind on a straight where they hit over 150mph (so they said). They waited for me at the next intersection. All I could muster was 140 indicated which was 131 according to the GPS. Did that for all of about 5 seconds then slowed down. These bikes just aren't meant to compete with supersports. In the twisties they hold their own with ultra-basic suspension.

Enjoy it for what it is. If you wanted to spend the money to make it something it isn't you should get another bike because it'll cost you a small fortune. In Europe these bikes are used a lot for touring. They're standards and are probably the best standard you can get.

mustangmanv6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya it is awesome for what it is. I thought about maybe doing the sprocket swap but i was afraid that it would lower the top speed but actually it sounds like it might raise it since it can't achieve the "geared" top speed anyway

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
thought this had been resolved. Redline in 6th with stock gearing is like 170 mph and simply not possible on the stock FZ6. Perhaps you should count the teeth on your sprockets.

I actually did count my teeth after you had mentioned it before and I do have stock gears and I did some research after that and apparently the way it's geared stock 155mph should be top speed rpm restricted I can't remember exactly what my speedo said I think it read like 16?mph so far I've only been able to do it twice I guess the conditions have to be perfect and every other time that I've had a camera its like the motor just didnt have anything left after 13.25k. So I guess without proof I can't prove anything but I promise I've hit redline in 6th with stock gears

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, it's a never ending lose-lose cycle.... you buy say a r6, a buddy gets a cbr1000, you get a zx10, he gets a busa... never ends :(

Good news is you've bought yourself a good mount, even tho she isn't the fastest out there i bet she's one of the best all rounders... hell, theres lots of bikes that are faster than mine but i bet there's only a select few that are as fun, the FZ being one of them :rolleyes:

Have fun with it, maybe you and your buddy should hit a track day, skill erases whp, google some track days, couple out there where a Versys (sry bout the bike plug :rolleyes:) is tearing up liter bikes because the kid is much more comfortable riding it... theres straight line speed then there's cornering...

In my eyes somone who can shred through corners has much much more skill than somone who can hit a 1/4 mile in sub 10's ...

Either way i know a track day is in my future :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
could just be me, but straight line speed doesn't quite do it for me, i'd much rather go around a corner at 70mph, than go 140 in a straight line

that said i've just watched simon crafars video and coming out of a corner with a perfect line, getting the bike upright enough to grip, putting all your weight forwards and then giving it maximum throttle does sound like a lot of fun :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I posted about a year ago and i was talking about buying an FZ6. Well i did! I got an 07 with about 2000 miles on it for right under 4,000. Well here is my dilemma and its not a big one. My cousin has a 2009-2010 Kawasaki ZX6r I am curious if there is a way i can get the same get up and go has he has. He said he has around 110 hp (I know its probably closer to 102) and we got into a roll on race. I pulled up to about 125 and he came past me at 140. Is there anything i can do to get a higher top speed out of the FZ6. I love this bike and it is super fast. Could you make it go 170 with a taller rear end ratio? I live in ohio so right now is down time and a great time to work on the bike.

Also i was curious if the 14,000 rpm limit is just for safety or would a port and polish to the heads help you pick up some power and help it breath better up top?

Thanks in advance!

Buy an R6!

Sorry, but the FZ6 isn't a fair comparison to the ZX6R. Different types of bikes. Enjoy what you have. You can always tweak your baby but you gotta love her for what she is, and she is pretty good!

Try going down 1 or 2 on the front sprocket (speedo healer will also be required). That's a pretty cheap, good and easy way to get off the line more easily :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk