How to do it guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If like me you dont have the confidence you have to pay out loads of your hard earned dosh. Well all thats gona change now.
There are some excellent articles here with colour photographs. They cover all of the simple maintainence jobs that we should all be able to do. I have just rececked the link, sadly they have removed the how to guides. There is still some great bike content though. Nelly
Ride Triangles - Bike
I adjusted my rear shoch today and took pictures.
I removed the left hand side panel as I was unable to get a good purchase on the adjuster.
attach the extension bar to the spanner.
Insert spanner and twist to required number 1 = soft 3 = medium 7 = firm.

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The first 600 mile Break-In Service

If like me you dont have the confidence you have to pay out loads of your hard earned dosh. Well all thats gona change now.
There are some excellent articles here with colour photographs. They cover all of the simple maintainence jobs that we should all be able to do.
Ride Triangles - Bike

Thanks for the links MATE!
My bike has only 200 miles on it. But I am looking forward to the 600 mile Break-In Tune Up. Should I bring the bike to the shop for service or do it myself? If I can do it myself, do you have any links specific to the 600 mile Break-In tune up?

Cheers

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always have had the dealership do the 600 mile checkup but i am not going to this time, if you look at the owners manual that came with the bike it has a maintenance checklist that shows you what is done and what to check,

Read it and i bet most of the stuff is on that site.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always have had the dealership do the 600 mile checkup but i am not going to this time, if you look at the owners manual that came with the bike it has a maintenance checklist that shows you what is done and what to check,

Read it and i bet most of the stuff is on that site.
I am going to do my own servicing from now to. I will let the shop do the valve timming though.

W

wrightme43

In my opinion it is a super extra good idea to do your 600 mile service at 150-200 miles.
Get that junk out of the oil sooner, and get in some clean oil, then do it again at 1000-1200 miles.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion it is a super extra good idea to do your 600 mile service at 150-200 miles.
Get that junk out of the oil sooner, and get in some clean oil, then do it again at 1000-1200 miles.

Right, you can't change your oil too often.

And don't be afraid to go with a full synthetic right off the bat.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: Its RiDE magazine mate, are they affiliated with BIKE? Either way thanks for the thanks.

Nelly

W

wrightme43

You folk over the big pond have a whole lot better bunch of magazines than we do.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You folk over the big pond have a whole lot better bunch of magazines than we do.
Hi Steve,

Some are good some are great and the remainder are poor. You can subscribe on line to most these days. I personally like RiDE as its not a knee down sports orientated mag.
Happy 4th Mate

Nelly

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Noob question alert... :confused:

What are some good tips/recommendations on suspension settings? I've never adjusted mine so it's still at the factory setting but curious about it. How does it effect your riding? I'm 68" tall and weight about 160 lbs so would I want a softer suspension? Thanks..

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any idea how difficult it is?

Trying to find one of those HAYNES FZ6 manuals? I've had to go on a "Neverending Story" quest, just to find only the 1st page!!

When I get it...OOoooo when I get it....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any idea how difficult it is?

Trying to find one of those HAYNES FZ6 manuals? I've had to go on a "Neverending Story" quest, just to find only the 1st page!!

When I get it...OOoooo when I get it....
Hi Elm,

I have tried recently to get a Haynes manual and they are still not in print.

Nelly

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I am probably just missing something very obvious (happens all the time) but the link that I click just takes me to the magazine homepage where it asks me to subscribe. I don't see any section with how-to articles?

What am I missing here?

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
In ref to the 1st 600 mile service...

Does the factory manual say to adjust the valve lash at that interval [ I don't have the original owners manual,lost somewhere,but the dealer is getting me one A.S.A.P. ].I assume even this modern motor has adjustable lifters.If not at 600 miles,then when ? Thanks, westmask

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wrightme43,I'm curious about your pre-600 oil change idea.20 years ago,I would have thought,like you,the sooner,the better with new motors. Please correct me if I'm mis-informed,but I thought new engine oil has properties that accentuate break-in & should be used to the extent through the initial period until the 1st oil change.I was told this in referance to my last new aout [ a bottom line,stripped Chevy work truck ].Does Yamaha not use special break-in oil from the factory ?If they don't,then heck ya,get it out early & often.Just tryin to learn this "new age" of engine technology. Thanks, westmask

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Haynes manuals

To be honest with you guys, the modern Haynes manuals are not worth the paper they're printed on!!

Since they started making stupid stuff like the Baby manual etc, the quality and detail of the content has gone right out of the window.

The first one I ever had was for a '88 Vauxhall Nova, which was awesome, did a complete engine rebuild using that book, after that, it was a '00 Vauxhall corsa, which wasnt too bad, then the Kwak VN750, which had limited and sometimes even conflicting information in, Now i just bought a newly published one for the '01 volvo s40 I have and its useless!! the only good thing i can say about it is that the paper is so thin, it will make great kindling material to get the bbq going!!!

If you can, try and get hold of a yamaha shop manual, you can buy them from the stealership, but they're costly, but if you're considering doing an engine strip, or even more advanced servicing procedures, it will pay you back in the long run!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.