how hard/long is it to do a valve clearance check?

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
bike is getting close to 40k km so time to start thinking about a valve check. Any of you guys do it at home? Is it a reasonable job or should I take it to a shop? You think it could be done in a day?

I've taken off the front fairing, tank, airbox/battery box before, and I did the spark plugs myself (that was a pain...) From the owners manual, only big items left would be the rad (not a big deal), throttle bodies (same), rocker cover (with the above removed, is it still a tight squeeze?) How is access to the valves once you have it all apart?

Basically my bottom line concern is if it's going to be a huge PITA though probable doable, I might just fork over the money and save myself the swearing

S

Shamus McFeeley

It is too easy to do yourself. I did it in about 4 hours. It took me 1 1/2 hour to get the bike torn down, 1 hour to measure and replace the one shim that needed it. Then another 1 1/2 hour to build it back up. Keep in mind that you'll save a lot of time if you don't have to make any adjustments. If you have to adjust, it will take longer because you have to take the cam and holder assy off.

Tips:

Make sure you have a good set of feeler guages

Write EVERYTHING down (measurement and position)

Make sure to tighten the valve cover bolts down to spec, one of mine loosened up (caught it in time)

Check and double check the cam position when you get them back in.

The cam adjuster can be a pain, I used a small flat tip to hold it in place.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, good luck. Don't pay a dealer for what you can do yourself, always trust your own work.