How much have you spent servicing your bike at the dealership?

How much have you spent getting your bike serviced or repaired at the dealership?

• $ 0.00 bike was still under warranty or I had no repairs or servicing needed.

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • Under $250.00 USD

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • $250 - $500 USD

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • $500 - $1,000 USD

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • $1,000 - and up

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife makes Mojitos when I work on the bike. The problem is they are so damn strong I often stop what I'm doing so I don't screw it up! Whewwww!!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Hellgate: How do you like the Corbin seat and how does the lady like the passenger backrest?

I wish I had a Corbin! I traded my Yamaha Comfort with oldfast007 on the N.E. Meet for a portion of the ride. WOW!!!! As he stated though, he'd like to send it back to have it modded to move the backrest for the rider forward as well as raise the front of the pillion area so she doesn't slide forward into him with the significant slope it currently has. If you order it this way up front though!!!! . . . . ;)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first service cost me $186 australian, next one will be 20,000km's and without looking at my owners manual, i think that is valve clearance check time...so that will be a little more expensive. Dont have the tools, or confidence (skills) to do engine stuff to the bike myself.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I try and do as much as I can myself,the only thing I haven't and wont try are the valve clearances .The first check on the valves isn't really important I don't think,I have yet to have a bike that has needed adjustment till the third check.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had two services done now, less oil/filter changes which I did, to the tune of about $250USD. Needed some free warrantee work on the speedo too. But getting the bike to and from the dealer was a hassle, and being without the bike for days was no fun. So this time I did the service (8K) myself. Took my time, bought a couple of tools (didn't realize a spark plug wrench was in the tool kit), actually enjoyed it. Detailed the bike while I was at it.

Now I just ordered a Battlax BT-021 rear tire that I intend on mounting and balancing myself. Dealership wanted $70. It will be my first time. Looking forward to it.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at a little over 6k miles. Just had new tires ("tyres" for those speaking the Queen's anguish) put on at $20/wheel. I'd love to be able to do that, too, but live in a small apartment with no parking or garage-type of space -- and what space I have in my apartment is filled with (8, yes i have a problem) bicycles.

I do my oil changes and regular cleaning, etc. in the alley behind the building with the homeless people and dumpster for company... wah, wah, wah...

I'll probably do the valve adjust myself if I can find a better spot to work on it.

As Hellgate mentioned, most stuff is exposed and easy to get to. If you are even slightly mechanically-inclined, read the manual, get good tools, search this forum before you start, and take your time, you should be able to do most of the work on your bike. ymmv, of course. :eek:)

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
i just picked up my bike from its first service today. i have always let the dealership do the first service work on my car/bike so that if there are any manufacturer defects or errors, the dealership would be able to pick up on it beforehand and better than i could being as they are at the time more knowledgeable and more aware of the vehicle. afterwards, i do all the services and everything else myself. not to mention some other circumstances such as having a close relationship with the owner of the bike dealership and wanting them to check out something i first thought was wrong with the bike. Total came out to $252 for the first service.

otherwise, there is no need to exclude your local dealership. in most cases they are well more knowledgeable in the field and or particular vehicle. however, it is also very beneficial for you to familiarize with your own vehicle in order to do as much and what you can.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't that steep? I paid $106 for my 600 M service, without the oil/filter change. I agree about letting them do a good once-over.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't that steep? I paid $106 for my 600 M service, without the oil/filter change. I agree about letting them do a good once-over.

they charge an arm and a leg in labor rates here in new jersey (totaled to $190. its a $90/hr. rate). but yeah, i got the oil/filter changed as well though.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC my dealer charges $75/hr; could be wrong about that though. The first filter, I bought there @ $17. Blew me away. Now I use $6 Pure Ones, and I understand they're better. I'm in southern NY, probably not too far from you. I bought my bike new down near Atlantic City.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The dealer's here are about the same rates, money well saved for future mods in my opinion.

The only major issue with people doing their own work is the lack of proper tools, specifically the torque wrench. The end result is always an over-tightened and stripped set of threads and a big "OH CRAP!" look.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't vote because none fit my situation.

I've spent zero at the dealership. I do all my service work at home.

Wait... I might have gotten the first one done at the dealer. Ok, I'll vote <$250.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done all the maintenance myself other than tires which i have a friend of mine do for free. i am making up plans for a home made bead breaker and buying some tire spoons so i can do that myself too :)

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm one of the few who don't do it myself. I know it's a good idea; you can save money and learn more about your bike. But, I have no place to work on it, lost all my tools in my divorce, I'm not that mechanically inclined and want it done right, lol!

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had all of my servicing done at a dealership, however, it's all been for nick's, cos I am the service advisor at the dealership and whack my bike up onto a workbench as soon as I see one of the mechanics idle ;-).

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Unfortunately I can't change my vote, but I hit $0 before I saw tire changes in there. I have paid them for that, but I just took the wheels to them, not the whole bike. I bought the tires from them as well. I don't remember which tires, I think it was the Conti Road Attacks they hooked me up on.