Got Pulled Over By A Cop!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Around 11:30 tonight, got pulled over by a cruiser (car) for having............................................ ..........loud pipes!

I just came out of a red light next to the cop and accelerated ahead of him. Came to the next red light, where I stopped and took a right hand turn. Started accelerating again and I had no idea he was behind me and he lit me up! While I'm pulling over, I couldn't figure out why he was pulling me over? I wasn't speeding, okay maybe 5 over indicated. Maybe I didn't completely stop at the red light before I took that right turn? I usually never put my foot down when I come to a stop, so maybe this time I didn't come to a complete stop? But I doubt it, after all I'm a pro.

He came up to me and asked if I just got the bike? I laughed and asked him why? "Did I look like a Rookie?" I said I currently have over 41,000 miles on this bike and showed him my odometer.

He asked for my driver's license so I told him I would be reaching into my riding pants to grab my wallet. (reminding everyone I ride with full gear)I decided that I wasn't going to take the risk of receiving another ticket like a couple of years ago, so I decided to identify myself as a Motorcycle Safety Instructor. So I gave him my license along with my Instructors License from the Nevada DPS & MSF, plus my insurance card.

He ran a check and said I was good. He said he rides too and he's curious who he is going to pull over. He also mentioned that most bikes end up running away from him and he was very thankful that I stopped. He is told not to chase the bikes for a simple traffic violation. Interesting I thought.

I told him we get a lot of cops taking the BRC and I have graduated my fair share and he knew that. I also told him that about 65% of the riders here in Las Vegas are riding dirty so chances are, he would get lucky finding some sort of violation. He was kind of surprised with that stat, but it's the truth.

So I told him he did the right thing by pulling me over. He just got unlucky! But I encouraged him to continue to do so even for the most minor violation.

So the point is.......You better be riding legal!

By the way, a very nice young officer, we are very lucky to have him to protect & serve our community. Only regret I had, never got his name.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait you told a cop to keep pulling bikes over cause the odds are he'll find a violation sooner of later???!!

Dude your an *******

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
nope actually I even carry ins when it's not required in Mt. Just don't believe in endorsing gov't fund raisers, and useless screwing with people just cause they can.

I do, however, endorse getting unlicensed / untrained mc riders off the road. So, if it means I get pulled over once in a blue moon for doing 8 over or something, then... (shrug). Better that than squid kids going around the system that's there for their protection, and mine.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
nope actually I even carry ins when it's not required in Mt. Just don't believe in endorsing gov't fund raisers, and useless screwing with people just cause they can.

I had an CHP officer for a co-worker for a while in the mid 1980's..... he had worked the central Oakland area for a number of years. He described establishing probable cause for a traffic stop as an almost effortless process.

"All you have to do is follow a driver for 3 or 4 blocks...... they'll do something in that time, that is in violation of the driving code."

If they want to pull you over, they will. If you think you can avoid that, you're probably wrong. Attitude at the point of interaction will have some degree of effect on the outcome; sometimes, the LEO is just not going to be impressed, no matter what. Maybe he dropped his donut.... If he's in a cruddy mood, and you fire off with attitude, bad things will ensue.

I guess my point is that these guys do some incredibly dangerous stuff, day in and day out. Their attitudes get pushed into negativity by the vast majority of the antisocial bozos they have to deal with. It used to be said that cops marry hookers and nurses..... think about that.

Most are on rotating schedules, that don't really allow for them to interact with the 90+ % of the population that never comes into contact with LEOs. They keep seeing the same bottom 10%, constantly. Tends to tint their glasses something other than 'Rosey'.

If you give them the slightest hint that they need to go on the offensive to protect themselves...... they will. And rightly so.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
He also mentioned that most bikes end up running away from him and he was very thankful that I stopped. He is told not to chase the bikes for a simple traffic violation. Interesting I thought.

Interestingly enough, I was pulled over last Sunday on my way back from my MSF course. I have a tendency to drive quickly in any motor vehicle (I know I know...) and I was doing a good bit over the speed limit on a straight away that is near my house. I saw the lights behind me and pulled over...it never even went through my head to run. But as the cop was walking up he said, "I'm surprised you pulled over. I was debating whether or not to even pull out after you since most of you guys on bikes run (by the way he said it I got the impression they don't chase after or they just can't keep up so they don't pursue). Turns out as soon as he got close enough for me to see and I lifted my visor, it was my friends brother. I've been to the shooting range with him several times. We talked for a minute about my bike and then he told me to "get the hell out of here and leave" so I did. No ticket, no warning even, but a nice little skip of a heartbeat from blue flashing lights in my mirrors.

I also told him that about 65% of the riders here in Las Vegas are riding dirty so chances are, he would get lucky finding some sort of violation. He was kind of surprised with that stat, but it's the truth.

That's crazy! I do think a lot of statistics are fabricated, but I trust you Vegas. I just can't believe that high of a percentage!

By the way, a very nice young officer, we are very lucky to have him to protect & serve our community. Only regret I had, never got his name.

Yeah, should of gotten his name so you could go riding with him. Never hurts to know LEO's!

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
How is that justification for a ****ty attitude, I realize that being a cop is a crappy job, it's also voluntary. The chief here is a friend of mine, he has repeatedly tried to get me to join, I will not because: 1. I know what the job entails 2. I know way to many cops who use that excuse/ have crappy attitudes.

It's just a job. if it has such a negative effect on a person then they should find another line of work, from what I have seen that would apply to most cops.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
How is that justification for a ****ty attitude, I realize that being a cop is a crappy job, it's also voluntary. The chief here is a friend of mine, he has repeatedly tried to get me to join, I will not because: 1. I know what the job entails 2. I know way to many cops who use that excuse/ have crappy attitudes.

It's just a job. if it has such a negative effect on a person then they should find another line of work, from what I have seen that would apply to most cops.

I carried a badge for 3 years in the USN. Patrol officer, and shift supervisor. Dispatcher, too. SWAT team. Worked with the detectives, and the dog teams. Riots, DUI, breaking and entering, domestics..... been there, done that. I'd rather not do it again.

Nobody owes me an apology for their attitude..... I am not in control of it, nor do I seek to justify it. Whether it meets with my expectations of civilized behavior is beside the point. (it doesn't) Understanding their frame of reference merely allows me to avoid projecting mine onto their actions.

Being judge mental accomplishes nothing. It's not going to change the situation at all. Except in a negative way, for whoever projects 'tude at the person with the gun. Who ever has the sh1ttiest attitude, loses. Not very likely to be the LEO.

LEOs in big cities tend to catch much more grief than rural folk do. (I recall listening to the police scanner during the graveyard shift; calls logged in sequence starting at 12:01 had exceeded 1000 by 8 AM for Oakland/Berkeley) The quality of the people attracted also suffers, due to the much larger demand for officers..... rougher characters in comparison to Mayberry RFD.

Again, my point is it doesn't matter what you think of their attitude.... merely how you conduct yourself in their presence.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What a change it would be to get pulled over by a cop for a ticket. In Africa they pull you over to extort money.

FZ6-ZN

Pfft....same thing....

What a change it would be to get pulled over by a cop for a ticket. In Africa they pull you over to extort money.

FZ6-ZN

:p

As for telling the cop to keep pulling every rider over that he can for no reason because eventually he will find a rider at fault for something....really? Why not tell the cop to drive around town looking for people who drive their cars less than perfectly attentively?

ORRRRR...if you do want to target at-fault riders then:

There are better ways of pulling over dirty riders....pull over the ones that are riding like idiots. No or very little gear....riding very aggressively....heavy on the throttle.....then your odds of finding dirty riders as you call them will probably be pretty high.

But of all riders period I would very much like to see you support the figure of 65%. If you can in fact verify that figure I will post pictures of me covered in used motor oil.....nothing but used motor oil......

:)

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
But of all riders period I would very much like to see you support the figure of 65%. If you can in fact verify that figure I will post pictures of me covered in used motor oil.....nothing but used motor oil......

:)

I wholeheartedly believe that statistic. Working at a m/c dealership, I'd say 65% of our customers do not have a m/c license. Most of them just say "eh.... I've been riding my whole life and I just never got around to getting legal"

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
thread title said:
Got Pulled Over By A Cop!

Who did you expect to pull you ever? The tooth fairy?

Yes, I know that is not how you meant the title, but that it still how it reads to me every time I see it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I wholeheartedly believe that statistic. Working at a m/c dealership, I'd say 65% of our customers do not have a m/c license. Most of them just say "eh.... I've been riding my whole life and I just never got around to getting legal"

That was my experience, as well.

Lots of folk ride, due to not being able to drive. Whether that's because of finances, or due to legal issues that lost their licence...... many ride without any sort of endorsement, or insurance. (at least, in the US.)

Is it as high as 65%? That's one of the things that makes stats such a PITA; if you are in that group, you don't volunteer it.....

How many illegal immigrants are there, in the US?

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site

This surprised me when I bought my bike as well. I went just to check out the FZ6, I had already decided on it but my MSF was still a couple weeks away. I told the dealer that but they said it was no problem, they'd still sell it to me even though I didn't have a license!:confused: I could not (and still can't) figure out why they can sell to unlicensed riders. When car dealers sell a car they check your license, I don't see why it would be different for bikes.