Glove Recommendations

Johnnylane

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not turn anytihng up in a search, although this may have been asked:

I'm looking for a nice pair of leather riding gloves. No cuff, gel palms, velcro closure.

Anyone got any they really like?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
look into the Held line, i was very pleased with mine when i had them, although i have some Z1R's that my mom bought me for christmas that i didn't think i was going to like that are breaking in and becoming very comfortable as well.

Sorry though on the models, all i have is gauntlet style gloves... Safer and all...

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
+1

I also have a pair of Held gloves. I've never put them on the pavement but I think the roo-skin palms and metal rivets would provide adequate protection. The visor wiper actually works awesome and a definite bonus.

However.... you stated you're looking for short cut gloves and Held only makes gauntlets.

Jake

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Held "Steve" gloves. Best in my humble opinion.

I personally will not ride without gauntlet gloves. These are kangaroo hide palms thus are super thin and 70% tougher than leather in the palms. You can pick up a dime off the tar with these!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Held Phantoms....full gauntlet as well. I won't ride with shorty gloves on the pavement.

check out newenough.com for a huge glove selection

W

wrightme43

Again with the HELD brand gloves. I have the Steve model as well and they are top notch. Highly reccomend gaultlet gloves. The bits and pieces that make your hands work are as important as the hands.

I used to wear short gloves. The most comfortable pair I had was by First Gear the Burnout glove. Reviewed my WebBikeWorld (the absolute minimum they would wear on the street) I know that when I was buying gear at first I thought I would never have to use it.

Take the worse case scenario and if you would be happy with the protection they offer wear that.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have to hijack the thread....sorry guys.:ban:

What's the big deal with gauntlet versus non-gauntlet gloves? I like having a gauntlet for weatherproofing (rain/winter gloves) but for warm/dry weather I typically wear shorts. I can't really see any safety advantage to the gauntlet, unless maybe it helps hold the sleeve (so it doesn't roll up and expose your forearm) in place during a slide. That seems pretty weak to me though, the velcro straps on the end of my sleeves would do a much better job of holding them in place. So what is it, why are gauntlets so important?

W

wrightme43

The ends of the ulna and radius are exposed, and the tendons that that make your fingers work run along the inner wrist. At least thats why I think they are important.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
unless maybe it helps hold the sleeve (so it doesn't roll up and expose your forearm) in place during a slide. That seems pretty weak to me though, the velcro straps on the end of my sleeves would do a much better job of holding them in place. So what is it, why are gauntlets so important?

You've hit it on the head here. Even with shorties and good velcro on the cuff of the sleeve, you'll end up with some exposure. I simply prefer as close to zero exposure myself but this is just me talking. I'm not saying it's best for everyone. :D Personal preference! :thumbup: I've always left the shorties for dirt riding. Asphault is just too brutal in a slide.

Another good deal about the Held Steve gloves: The heels have riveted studs in them to slide on thus adding a GREAT layer of protection. It's not kind on the bar-ends though! :eek:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Great question

The ends of the ulna and radius are exposed, and the tendons that that make your fingers work run along the inner wrist. At least thats why I think they are important.

Not to mention, your ARTERIES are right near the surface of your inner wrist! Severed arteries FTL!!!

FWIW, you won't find a track day organization anywhere that does not require full gauntlet gloves. In addition to abbrasion protection, good gloves have a lot of armor and padding.

Last edited:

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Never tried Held before, but i have tried Cortech Adrenaline gloves and i think they work wonderfully. Polyurethane knuckles instead of carbonfiber so that under hard impact the carbon doesnt impale the hands. Full gauntlet so you have full protection and also very well ventilated. If you dont like the full gauntlet, cortech also makes a shorten version of the adrenaline called the "Vice"

Last edited:

bleego

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of the Helimot F-108 gloves. on the Palm side it is Kangaroo Leather, and on the other side it is some sort of Kevlar material. My main issue was having a problem finding gloves that were comfortable and actually fit, ( almost everything is too long for my fingers ) The pair I have right now are still a bit long, but they offer services to shorten the length of the fingers, ( They want you to break them in first before they do that )

Helimot is almost all gauntlet style. I am used to the shorter version, especially since I usually wear my gloves under the jacked, and it is a pain in the ass with these. Hopefully once I get them shortened I will actually be able to do things like work my helmet straps

( Gloves )

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What's the big deal with gauntlet versus non-gauntlet gloves? I like having a gauntlet for weatherproofing (rain/winter gloves) but for warm/dry weather I typically wear shorts. I can't really see any safety advantage to the gauntlet, unless maybe it helps hold the sleeve (so it doesn't roll up and expose your forearm) in place during a slide. That seems pretty weak to me though, the velcro straps on the end of my sleeves would do a much better job of holding them in place. So what is it, why are gauntlets so important?
Hi Shaggy,

A gauntlet will dissipate the energy better thus reducing distal Radial and Ulnar #.
The only piece of good advice I can give (that is often over looked) please ensure that the fastenings are on the dorsal side of the hand (on the top). I have seen guys lose gloves when the friction has burnt through the strapping, once this occurs the glove just pops off.

Nelly

Johnnylane

Reaction score
Visit site
A glove followup.....

I just bought a pair of Alpinestar GP Plus gloves. I could not find a pair of Held gloves to try on in the city. I was concerned about the hassle of buying trying to fit gloves over the internet.

Anyway, long story short, I brought these home. Huge change from the gloves I was wearing, I can better understand the concern about being under-protected. If these don't do it...........

I appreciate everyone's input.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine have extra padding:

pink-boxing-gloves.jpg