FZ Gear shifting

nsathya

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I am new to this forum. I git FZ S a month ago. Please give some tips on shifting gears at rpms or speeds ranges. And pls specify the correct shifting techniques for getting a decent mileage. Thank you

You'll get a lot of advice of this forum. Not all of it is correct.

Have you done a riders course yet? Highly recommended. A good instructor will give you all the advice you need.

There are no magic numbers to change gear. Listen to the engine. She'll tell you when she's ready. She comes alive around 7500 rpm, but you can change before or after that without problems.

BTW, :welcome: to the forum!

The FZ6 power bad is so versatile that it really does not matter where you shift. Do it at lower RPM's if you are just riding relaxed and do it up high if you are ripping.

I find on my bike that there is some vibration around 5K RPM so I usually cruise at a speed either below or above that range.

If you really need to get out of your own way then it is fine to shift up to near red line, if you want better gas mileage then shift lower.

I usually shift around 5K to 7K for normal riding but as said, the bike does not really care.

congratulations on the new bike and enjoy.

Marc

The only thing I've found is that the FZ really doesn't care to be ran below 4k, it will do it just fine but your throttle input needs to be gradual until your rpm's get up to about 5k or so, whack it open at a lower rpm and she'll protest.

Do you have any experience prior to this bike?

It sounds like you just need more time in the saddle. Biggest tip is don't lug it. Lugging it would be having it in too hi of gear for the speed or incline ahead. Example; if your speed is below 50mph, gears 1 - 3 give you best options. Being in 6th at 50mph in city traffic won't allow you to accelerate like being in 3rd.

Just my 2 cents but for basic cruising select a gear that keeps the rpm band between 3500 - 6500 rpm. Beyond that, practice practice practice. . .

Back