My new 2006 FZ6 - first impressions

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to the FZ6 and this group. If you recall I posted a few weeks ago with my description of fixing up a 2006 (fast blue). I am also new to street biking; my other bike is a Suzuki DRZ400.

The weather here is Salt Lake finally warmed up enough to ride, so out I went. I headed west into the desert. Lots of mostly empty two-lane highways with visibility for miles. The kind of place where someone, if he/she were so inclined, might be tempted to ride well above the speed limit. There are a few low passes between basins (basin and range country) with tight turns through the high desert scenery. I rode for several hours, and saw bunches of other bikers with the same spring fever that I have. Interestingly, 2 out of 3 of them were on Harleys.

My impressions of my new bike are as follows:

1) Wow. So much fun. The handling of this bike is so very, very good. It happily buzzes along at pretty amazing speeds (in 4th gear!), without missing a beat. Turning is consistent and smooth. I did the RaceTech-0.95+15wt fork upgrade, and I am happy with that. No real diving on the front; although it's a little stiff on the potholes, I wouldn't want the front end any softer.

2) Shifting 1-2-gears is notchy/clunky, as everyone says. These seemed to improve significanlty as the bike warmed up (or was I just getting used to it).

3) I am somewhat perplexted about the complaints I have seen of high-rev nature of this bike. I think this engine is great. It's quiet and the power is relatively smooth. Just embrace the bike and rev it up! People have complained about too much shifting, but they have they ever driven a manual automobile? I shift my truck every 10-20MPH increment.

I can put the FZ6 in 2nd gear at 15 MPH and leave there until 60-70MPH. I have never driven another vehicle that does that. That means I basically stay in second gear all over town. On the other hand, if I know I am settling into a 50MPH pace, put it in third and enjoy the peace and quiet of that engine (and increase your MPG). What a great engine!

Sure my DZR400 (450 with a big bore) has tons more torque and will kill the FZ6 in the first couple of yards, but you also have to be super careful not to wheelie (unless that's the plan). I can slam the FZ6 throttle all day long (even at high RPMs) an the front barely lifts. I like that stability for the street.

4) Grabby/jumpy throttle. This is my major complaint with this bike. The grabiness of the throttle going from off-on and on-off is annoying. I have ridden other similar bikes that don't do this (e.g. Kawasaki Z750 and Z1000). What causes this? Is this in the design of the fuel injection issue or the way the transmission/clutch is desined? Of course, with practice I am learning to pass the on-off threshold more delicately to get smooth transitions, but it's still annoying.

5) Tank grips. I could not stay comfortably seated with the tank as is, so I added Techspec snakeskin grips. A great mod.

In any case, this is a great first street bike for me, and I hope to wear this thing out before getting another one.

Regards,

RTW

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your feedback is quite consistent with what most say about this bike after 1st few rides. Such a great machine!!

The few free things you can do about jerky throttle:
1. Adjust the throttle cable freeplay at the grip so there's some, but not a whole lot.
2. Be sure the chain slack is adjusted properly. Too tight is bad, but too loose accentuates jerky throttle response.

It's not a trans or anything.. it's the FI. Power commander can cure this, but at the cost of decreased fuel economy. (I don't have a personal experience, but have read enough on here to pass on the info).

Enjoy the bike! :thumbup:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Power commander can cure this, but at the cost of decreased fuel economy

I can personally say that is true :thumbup:
But after getting used to that on/off throttle response, you may like it also.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Were the tank pads pre cut? I'd like to get some of the C3 tank pads for my FZ6 but I don't want to have to cut them myself.

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
Your feedback is quite consistent with what most say about this bike after 1st few rides. Such a great machine!!

The few free things you can do about jerky throttle:
1. Adjust the throttle cable freeplay at the grip so there's some, but not a whole lot.
2. Be sure the chain slack is adjusted properly. Too tight is bad, but too loose accentuates jerky throttle response.

It's not a trans or anything.. it's the FI. Power commander can cure this, but at the cost of decreased fuel economy. (I don't have a personal experience, but have read enough on here to pass on the info).

Enjoy the bike! :thumbup:

Thanks. I will recheck the chain and adjust the throttle cable.

RTW

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I grew to like this bike fairly quickly but I have to be honest after my first ride I was very dissapointed with 2 things - clutch release and anemic power down low. It took a week or so to get used to the clutch. then I revved it. yup! great bike

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ooooooooh yeeeeeaaaaahh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now it would appear to work beautifully thx TT and Dennis

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on a great purchase!

Do yourself a favor and look into synchronizing the throttle bodies this spring. Makes a HUGE difference in smoothness of the engine at all RPMS. :thumbup:

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
good luck with your new bike. I have a question, why did you not preferred clear tankpad? has snakeskin got more friction than clear model?thank you.
ps: the cause of buzz at high revs is probably from chain/sprocket or maybe bad valve clerence/worn cam chain or maybe faulty ignition cables. look at this thred:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/48874-vibration-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html

I chose the black pads because:

- I thought they looked better than clear (I don't like the clear as it ages - seen other clear pads on other bikes)
- I have a few small chips in the paint in that area, so I thought I would cover those up.

I have no reason to there is a performance difference.

Cheers,

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
2nd the suggestion to sync throttle bodies. Can make a big difference. I liked the weak low end power - easy to putter around and not worry about the bike doing anything dramatic if I slammed the throttle open. Mine would lift the front wheel real big if I happened to chop it and then jump back on it at around 8,000 in first. I found that some oils were better than others for reducing the 1st to 2nd clunk - it only happens at low speed, shifting near the redline is quick and smooth. Maybe it's cause it's a race oriented box off of an R6.

Loved mine and have very fond memories of the 44,000 miles we spent together.