Clunky Shift

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Don't quote me on this but for emissions reasons its more probable that dropping/altering the pulse to the injector(s) would be the course of action. Much easier on the CAT and less likely to cause a pop in the exhaust.

But yea, I can/we can nail some pretty smooth clutchless shifts and it sounds so nice too! :thumbup:

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, quite a bit of activity in the weeks I've been gone.

I've been busy experimenting though!

Preloading and focusing more on matching my RPMs has been a huge success thus far. I've been able to eliminate almost all 'clunkiness' from the bike between 2nd to 6th. Neutral to 1st still gives me trouble, but I've been experimenting with rolling the bike forward while shifting into first, and it seems to be working fairly well.

I've really gotten into the habit of exercising the clutch lever before anything else. Usually after a start in neutral, and then at the first set of lights. All of that has made an impressive difference. I look at myself a few months ago and feel like I was such a newbie. (Well, I really was, anyway). :D

Couldn't have done it without all of your help! I've also been practising clutchless shifting. As per someones recommendation (I can't remember where or who posted that, sorry!) I started at speeds of 100kph+ in fourth or fifth gear. Basically just preloaded the shifter, dropped the throttle a tiny bit and it slipped into gear as if it was an automatic. No clunk, no sound, nothing.. just a new gear to play with. I can now happily and silently shift without the clutch between 3rd and 6th gears at anything over 60kph. Anything slower, or in less than 3rd gear, and I have a bit of trouble matching the RPMs so I get a harsh clunk, which scares me away from trying again. In any case, I only ever care to ignore the clutch if I'm on a highway, so I'm always going fast enough that it doesn't matter. Anything else and I'm happy to use the clutch and preload. Works fantastic.

Anyway.. I'm off to go have some more fun. I feel my experience just goes up threefold with all the tips I get here compared to just riding endlessly into the night.

Thanks again, I appreciate the input!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Don't quote me on this but for emissions reasons its more probable that dropping/altering the pulse to the injector(s) would be the course of action. Much easier on the CAT and less likely to cause a pop in the exhaust.

But yea, I can/we can nail some pretty smooth clutchless shifts and it sounds so nice too! :thumbup:

Some research out of curiosity:

BMW has made the Gear Shift Assistant from the HP2 Sport as an available option on the K1300S. This gizmo was normally only found on race bikes, allowing a racer full-throttle upshifts without concern for blipping the throttle. This “quickshifter” cuts fueling and ignition just long enough to slip into the next higher gear.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48431

Simona

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the clutch trick. Always have. Old bloke told me about it and I laughed... Until I tried it. If you wanna get creative, a few of my mates were using this oil additive called "bitron". They swore by it, so I gave it a crack. It not only made gear changes silky smooth, it reduced engine noise significantly. I mixed it in with the Motul 5100 I used to run in my old Fireblade. Initially I scoffed at the idea of an oil additive but it worked out well. Not cheap though...