From the experienced am I doing anything wrong?

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a friend at work that was kind of coaching me on riding before I ever bought a bike. One of many concerns I had about riding then was down shifting. I kept wondering how do I know when to shift down to the next gear? Also I was wondering what would happen if I shifted down to fast or like accidently shift to many times down and let go of the clutch? Would I get thrown over the bars or come to a sudden stop? Any how he told me not to worry about down shifting. He said save the engine and clutch etc... It is far easier to change the brakes and alot less expensive. Well when I started riding I just kind of found my confort zone for what I liked to do and not. I do know just cause I am confortable doesn't mean that it's the best way or safest. Anytime I have to come to a stop I usually just leave the bike in the gear and let it slow itself down to a decent speed then I grab the clutch and brakes all at the same time. Brakes front and back I apply the same pressure. Before I stop I put the bike in 1st and then stop. Right before I stop or kind of at the same time I stop I put both feet down secure balance and then lean on a leg and prop the other if I wish. To be honest I don't like to down shift because I don't like slowing down so fast with no brake light. It worries me that someone will run up my rear with my brake light not lite. Please share with me on your advice or what you do even and why. Thanks Even though I didn't mention it yes I always watch my mirrors as I brake. I glance at them and make sure ppl behind me see me and are stopping. If I see someone coming I flash the brakes light several times and again make sure they are stopping also.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i do almost the same... the only thing i can add to your technique is that i downshift with the speed. If i am at the 40 MPH mark i am in 3rd, 20 MPH mark i am in 2nd, below 10 i am in first, clutch in the whole time, but that at least keeps the bike ready to go if something presents itself as a danger. Just pop the clutch and get the hell out of there, if you are going 20 and still in 6th then you will not go anywhere when you release the clutch, you will just sputter along.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always downshift to slowdown, I can pretty much come to a complete stop without even touching my brakes when I come to a traffic light.

Part of the reason I like to downshift is so that I'm in the correct powerband at that particualr speed or moment. I don't want to get caught in the wrong gear in case I need to accelerate. Sometimes, if you downshift at a speed that is too high for the gear, you're rear tires will slide, however, you can avoid that by gently releasing the clutch, and gradually let it catch rather than just releasing it quickly.

I ALWAYS WATCH TO SEE WHO IS BEHIND ME.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i do almost the same... the only thing i can add to your technique is that i downshift with the speed. If i am at the 40 MPH mark i am in 3rd, 20 MPH mark i am in 2nd, below 10 i am in first, clutch in the whole time, but that at least keeps the bike ready to go if something presents itself as a danger. Just pop the clutch and get the hell out of there, if you are going 20 and still in 6th then you will not go anywhere when you release the clutch, you will just sputter along.
Thank you I see your point and will emplyment this into my way of stopping also. I usually just kick it all the way down to first as soon as I grab the clutch. I can see how that can cost me time if I need to hurry and scramble out of the way of something.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always downshift to slowdown, I can pretty much come to a complete stop without even touching my brakes when I come to a traffic light.

Part of the reason I like to downshift is so that I'm in the correct powerband at that particualr speed or moment. I don't want to get caught in the wrong gear in case I need to accelerate. Sometimes, if you downshift at a speed that is too high for the gear, you're rear tires will slide, however, you can avoid that by gently releasing the clutch, and gradually let it catch rather than just releasing it quickly.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I have to say yes I one time grabed the clutch the bike was in fourth gear. I was grabbing the brakes and went to down shift. I accidently dropped it into 2nd panicked and then dumped the clutch. The tire didn't slide this incident but did jolt me scaring the piss out of me.

W

wrightme43

Hook up on some books man. This is a thinking man/womans sport. Twist of the Wrist, Sport Riding Techniques, Total Control. Go to Barnes and Noble. It will make you a better rider and its fun.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keith Code writes in Twist of the Wrist that engines are for going and brakes are for slowing. (Something along those lines)

Down shift to place yourself in the correct gear for the speed that you are slowing to while keeping the bike in the power band, 5K to 7K (for street riding). As you let the clutch out you will actually add gas while braking to smooth the transition out. Much easier said than done but with practice you'll get the hang of it.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just keep on practicing. It will come. I downshift just by sound of the motor now. I dont remember the last time I thought about downshifting. I have also been riding motorcycles since I was 8 years old. Downshifting is a good thing like above posters has said.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 Exactly what I do

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Vegas here. I use the brakes as little as possible and shidt to keep the revs up and escape if needed. Great advice!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the brakes and often downshift multiple gears before releasing the clutch, but probably not the greatest habit since several times that's resulted in the transmission not meshing properly and somehow getting stuck in 3rd gear while at a stop. I should be downshifting to stay in the power band as is stated.

My previous bike was Buell Blast which was much lower revving and more torquey. Downshifting it was a major source of stress. It was quite easy to drop it into too low of a gear, release the clutch, and lock the rear wheel. That happened to me several times. FZ6 can rev so high, that would probably never happen, but I think I developed some bad habits on that Blast that I haven't shed yet.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm another one that does the same as Vegas, although, I generally touch the front brake, just enough to engage the brake light to let the idiots who are tailgating me know that I am stopping.

As Nobby said, give the throttle a blip as you down-shift to avoid compression lock-up, and all will be good.

Practice in an empty carpark if you're not to sure about doing it right, at least then, there's no-one else around to make a mess of you if you get it wrong.

:)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did not read past the first line of your thread.

If your friend is not qualified to teach you then Yes you are doing something wrong. What is to say he is teaching you correctly in the first place.

I was a driving instructor in the UK and can tell you for certain that putting badly trained drivers straight is far more time consuming then teaching them correctly to begin with. I would assume the same applies to riders.

Get proper, qualified training.

Steve

B

bluenova

If you're holding the clutch in then that's not right. A lot of Americans will disagree with me on this, but I was brought up in the UK and therefore with manual vehicles not automatics and if the engine is not engaged then you are not in full control of the vehicle. Doing this in a 4 wheeled vehicle round a bend can cause it to slide. The concequenses are not so bad on a 2 wheeled vehicle but it still pays to have the engine engaged and be in full control.

The only times the clutch should be disengaged is:
1. When you are stopped (for obvious reasons)
2. When you are changing gear (also not necessary on a bike if you have mastered clutchless shifting)
3. If you are inexperienced in emergency stops it is wise to pull the clutch in that situation.

There is no need to downshift from 10,000 RPM and use the engine as a brake though, you can wait till your revs are around 4,000 or so to down shift (learn to hear it, don't watch your rev counter).

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're holding the clutch in then that's not right. A lot of Americans will disagree with me on this, but I was brought up in the UK and therefore with manual vehicles not automatics and if the engine is not engaged then you are not in full control of the vehicle. Doing this in a 4 wheeled vehicle round a bend can cause it to slide. The concequenses are not so bad on a 2 wheeled vehicle but it still pays to have the engine engaged and be in full control.

The only times the clutch should be disengaged is:
1. When you are stopped (for obvious reasons)
2. When you are changing gear (also not necessary on a bike if you have mastered clutchless shifting)
3. If you are inexperienced in emergency stops it is wise to pull the clutch in that situation.

There is no need to downshift from 10,000 RPM and use the engine as a brake though, you can wait till your revs are around 4,000 or so to down shift (learn to hear it, don't watch your rev counter).

+1!

-Chris

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
You sound fine already, considering that you're considering this kind of business already. I'm with---I think---everybody else. Take advantage of engine compression to keep in control/slow down. Since I'm on the subject, how many times does one see, say, on a freeway, a motorist's brake lights ahead constantly going from off/on when controlling speed can be much more efficiently controlled by simply using engine compression (and downshifting if necessary)? Of course, if the motorist wasn't always tailgating this would eliminate the need to constantly accelerate/brake with the brake lights coming on 1,000 times each mile. Downshifting is great in so many ways. Can you imagine if big trucks couldn't use engine compression to control speed and help stop?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me three...........Another way to stop comp lock-up is to rev it just before you downshift,\"clutch in,rev,downshift,clutch out\" in that order :thumbup:

Ditto. Clutch, blip, click and ease that clutch out to stop rear wheel locking up.
At the same time rear brake light switch activated so I don't get creamed while covering the front brake.

But who's to say if I'm doing the right thing. As steveindenmark said, get yourself on a course. They'll straighten you out with anything you need to know and after talking to the guys at my Ridersafe course here some of them race, some have been motorcycle cops, but they've all been riding for years and teaching the course means they're not forgetting everything and going with bad habits like maybe I am. It's been 14-15 years since I did my course.
Cheers
Mike