First drop $^*&^*&!!!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh god, I hate myself!

I dropped my bike putting it on the center stand.
I was getting ready to wash it, since I took it out for a few hours yesterday while we had some freakishly warm weather here in Maryland. The salt on the roads is insane.

I'm pretty decent at getting the bike on the center stand when I'm on flat ground. But in this case, the front of the bike was slightly downhill, and slightly to the right. That and my shoes were wet from getting the hose ready before I began washing my bike. :spank:
Fortunately, I had put on some Motovation frame sliders on my baby the second week I got them.

It was funny actually, I held on and kinda saw it slowly topple over in slow motion. Then, I ran over to the other side and lifted the thing up. I can't believe I lifted it. I'm not a big guy (5'8", 140 lbs.)

Anyways, the frame slider did its job, with only a few millimeter-deep scratches it. The top side of my bike went in the grass, so my side mirrors were spared. Now my bike looks great, especially after putting some Plexus on it.

Sigh. It's my first bike. You live, and you learn. I still hate myself, though. This was therapeutic....

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
a couple of scratches on the frame slider made you hate yourself? wait until you crash your baby and see it slide on the asphalt for 200 feet :D

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
not bad at all...I went down on mine a few weeks after I got it...just cosmetic damage and a busted shoulder...but yeah it sucks...be glad you fared so well.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
You got my sympathy !!

Sounds more or less like what happened to me 6 days after I rolled mine of the showroom floor (brand new)...,- I did not notice some ice on the tarmac when I was getting it on the centerstand, - I slipped, fell backwards (In full gear so I was ok), the bike fell away from me, hit the curve and busted the top fairing, the front indicator, side mirror, and scratched the engine up good.
The wife did not talk to me for 6 hours ......

On the upside, - now its been down, and now you can really start to ride it to the limit :thumbup:

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember the first time I dropped my bike...and the 2nd...and 3rd...and 4th and 5th.

it gets easier to deal with each time.

1st time sucks though :(

W

wrightme43

^^^^ Aha hahhahahhahah YEP!!

Bikes fall down. Thats just part of it. It sucks and its not alot of fun, but its just part of it. LOL

Glad yours was minor, but seriously watching it slide down the road while you slide along with it is really a sureal feeling. Well that and the please dont run me over please dont run me over. That part is pretty creepy.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it could be worse?

The first time I dropped my Bandit (haven't dropped the FZ, but that day will come!) I had come back to work to give a girl a ride. And I managed to pin my foot rather awkwardly underneath...Don't ask :) She declined the ride afterward.

At any rate. It could be worse :)

I'm glad there was no sizable damage to your baby in the drop.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh god, I hate myself!

I dropped my bike putting it on the center stand.
I was getting ready to wash it, since I took it out for a few hours yesterday while we had some freakishly warm weather here in Maryland. The salt on the roads is insane.

I'm pretty decent at getting the bike on the center stand when I'm on flat ground. But in this case, the front of the bike was slightly downhill, and slightly to the right. That and my shoes were wet from getting the hose ready before I began washing my bike. :spank:
Fortunately, I had put on some Motovation frame sliders on my baby the second week I got them.

It was funny actually, I held on and kinda saw it slowly topple over in slow motion. Then, I ran over to the other side and lifted the thing up. I can't believe I lifted it. I'm not a big guy (5'8", 140 lbs.)

Anyways, the frame slider did its job, with only a few millimeter-deep scratches it. The top side of my bike went in the grass, so my side mirrors were spared. Now my bike looks great, especially after putting some Plexus on it.

Sigh. It's my first bike. You live, and you learn. I still hate myself, though. This was therapeutic....

that sucks, my boots never seem to have a traction issue in wet or slippery conditions.

here's what I have been using for sometime now

Icon Super Duty 2 Boots - Motorcycle Superstore

what kind of shoes where you wearing?

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Keeping it in gear helps a little bit in avoiding the fall. The one time I kept it in neutral on a inclined parking slot, I laid it down as I couldn't grab enough brake.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
that sucks, my boots never seem to have a traction issue in wet or slippery conditions.

here's what I have been using for sometime now

Icon Super Duty 2 Boots - Motorcycle Superstore

what kind of shoes where you wearing?

I wasn't wearing my motorcycle boots, I was wearing my Rockport boat shoes (I had just came back home from work). I didn't want to go out for a ride, I was just trying to hose the bike down after a few days of riding.

Replaying what happened in my head, I doubt wearing my boots would have made a big difference. I just plain screwed up. I've now learned to only use the center stand when I'm on a flat surface. Otherwise, it's easy for the bike to get away from you.

I'm probably putting it on the center stand wrong, too. I have to kinda roll my body weight to the very edge of the center stand's foot peg to get the bike up. At the same time I roll my weight back on the foot peg, I'm holding onto the handles and jerk the bike back with my arms. I never get it right in my first try. This time, I really didn't get it right!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually never use the centerstand other than for adjusting the chain/removing the tire. IMHO, sidestand with the bike in gear is the best 3-point support system compared to the see-saw center-stand. You could never push the bike down on the sidestand whereas on the centerstand, one push in enugh for it to fall even if the bike is in gear.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't wearing my motorcycle boots, I was wearing my Rockport boat shoes (I had just came back home from work). I didn't want to go out for a ride, I was just trying to hose the bike down after a few days of riding.

Replaying what happened in my head, I doubt wearing my boots would have made a big difference. I just plain screwed up. I've now learned to only use the center stand when I'm on a flat surface. Otherwise, it's easy for the bike to get away from you.

I'm probably putting it on the center stand wrong, too. I have to kinda roll my body weight to the very edge of the center stand's foot peg to get the bike up. At the same time I roll my weight back on the foot peg, I'm holding onto the handles and jerk the bike back with my arms. I never get it right in my first try. This time, I really didn't get it right!

ya guess you can't really blame the shoes as you where just washing not riding...

When I put mine up I seem to do it slow without jerking... I don't think I have ever done it on too much of a hill though. I will kepp this in mind if I do though.

W

wrightme43

Oh dude thats easy to fix.

I put it on the center stand on inclines no problems.

Just stand next to the bike on the clutch side. Pull the clutch side bar back towards you with your left hand.
Grab the clutch side grab handle with your right hand.

Stand on the center stand peg with all your wieght and pull the bike towards the back. It will pop right up every time almost effortlessly.

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
agree 1st mod on ure bikes should be a frameslider...

i dropped mine while parking due to wet road surfaces(after just 1 week)...damn this bike is heavy to lift up on ure own....went to the local dealer to install the slider soon after...lucky no scratches except minor ones on the signal lights...manage to hold on to the bike from fully lying down on the grass..

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh dude thats easy to fix.

I put it on the center stand on inclines no problems.

Just stand next to the bike on the clutch side. Pull the clutch side bar back towards you with your left hand.
Grab the clutch side grab handle with your right hand.

Stand on the center stand peg with all your wieght and pull the bike towards the back. It will pop right up every time almost effortlessly.

EXACTAMUNDO! That's the only way in my book. But, with wet street shoes it could still happen.

I have yet to drop a bike (other than dirt bikes), but I know the day will come.

OMG_WTF, Thanks for sharing. That sucks. And it really makes me question the sanity of pulling this little maneuver (by myself) the other day in prep for swapping tires... :spank:
Dsc01808-sm.jpg

Believe it not it's very secure. I planned carefully. The wheels go back on tomorrow (with new PRII's!!)

I plan on doing a little write up of my hair brained methods for this whole swap soon.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't pull back on the bike at all to put it on the centre stand, I pull the rear of the bike up whilst steadying it with the handlebars.

My method... stand facing the bike, put one hand on the clutch side grip and the other hand on the rear grabrail. Put your right foot on the centrestand lever, press it down and feel it stabilise the bike. At this point, with enough weight on the centrestand lever, I can let go of the bike with both hands and it still stays upright as it's supported on four contact patches - both tyres and both centrestand legs. Now apply all your body weight onto the centre stand as if you were climbing a step, whilst at the same time pulling up on the grab rail. The bike just gently rocks back onto the stand with no sudden movements or lurches.

If I have to put the bike on the stand on non-level ground, I make sure the bike is facing uphill so that the weight of the bike actually helps settle it onto the stand easier. And I only do it on a gentle slope, never on anything steep.