First drop $^*&^*&!!!

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to postpone my first scratch as long as possible. Had a close call, embarrasinly enough, riding home from the dealership. I took some side roads to avoid traffic until I could get a little more familiar with it and misplanned my route. Had to make a slow, steep, turning downhill stop at a stop sign and overbalanced. I kept it up but was just far enough over I couldn't get it upright alone. Luckily my girlfriend was following. I waved her up and told her I didn't care how long it took or how stupid we looked - I wasn't putting my new bike down to pick it up before I even got home with it!

Knock on wood... I've been riding 9 months and have 5k miles under my belt and have only laid my Nighthawk over once. Late at night, missed nuetral and let go of clutch to light a cig. Ironically, I had just picked up touch up paint.

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
a couple of scratches on the frame slider made you hate yourself? wait until you crash your baby and see it slide on the asphalt for 200 feet :D

+1 or you see your VFR slide over a 75 foot hill. then you get to sit there waiting for the wrecker licking your wounds and thinking what your next bike will be. few scratches on frame sliders is no big deal.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't feel bad, I set mine down while unloading it from the trailer right after buying it. The front wheel washed out in the gravel driveway as soon as it was off the ramp and I slid backwards trying to keep it up.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When i put mine down i was avoiding a semi and just leaned away from it, i had sliders on it and it saved the bike big time. The damage was broken slider, a few scratches on the side panel, scratches on the grab bars, scuffs on the engine casing and the worst was the handle bars, the throttle side of the bars were bent 4" high and 3-4" back. The one thing i was wondering is, beside the frame sliders do they make anything to protect the grab bars or the front forks? As far as the bars if the bike goes down that would be expected, O'WELL, live and learn.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped mine about 6 weeks after I bought it. I forgot to give the nephews a hug as I was leaving so they walked up to me and I leaned over to hug... ooops.

No frame sliders but I was on grassy gravel so no damage. Lesson learned... or is it? Dun! Dun! DUNNNNN!!! Stay tuned.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i went to the web-site for the forks and swing-arm sliders and i should be getting them on THURSDAY. I will take before and after pic's and a little write up how the install went. Thanks everyone for the info on the sliders. :thumbup:

B

bluenova

How was your rear-brake lever?

I dropped mine on that side trying to ride down my drive which was covered in snow at the time :squid:.

The frame slider stopped any damage apart from the rear-brake lever getting bent in slightly.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
How was your rear-brake lever?

I dropped mine on that side trying to ride down my drive which was covered in snow at the time :squid:.

The frame slider stopped any damage apart from the rear-brake lever getting bent in slightly.

Checked this morning. Rear brake lever slightly bent in. I'll just remove the lever and straighten it out with a rubber mallet. Thanks for the tip.

Trying to ride in the snow? Yamaha makes snow mobiles too! :D