Do saddle bags scratch the frame side covers ?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
My saddle bags are made from a heavy duty canvas material.

I'm worried that they may scratch the (blue) plastic "frame side covers" that are on the side of the seat.

I know that some bags have another material like neoprene on the side that faces the bike. Mine doesn't.

Any mods out there that you can suggest to help me with this potential problem?

Thanks!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm worried that they may scratch the (blue) plastic "frame side covers" that are on the side of the seat.

I know that some bags have another material like neoprene on the side that faces the bike. Mine doesn't.

Thanks!

Did they come with the neoprene pads for backing? If not, I'd get some and velcro the neoprene to the bags. My Cortech tribag system came with pads for all three of the bags.

Regardless, I still caught some scuffs from various parts of the bag, handles or straps and have a scuffed tail and both pods now. But, I didn't buy the bike for show so I'm not concerned about keeping it looking pristine. :D

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
It will probably dull the paint more than scratch it. Even with protection is will eventually wear if kept on for any extended periods of time. Worse case scenario is you could replace the plastics.

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks!

yes they absolutely will scratch. Had a set on my VFR for about 500 miles and wore completely through the paint.

my suggestion would be to get the neoprene pads. I would also cover the painted parts that it will touch with that blue painters tape. it will not pull your paint off and doesn't leave a residue.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Like others have said, yes the rough canvas material will slowly wear away at the surface from the constant motion, if you have them on the bike a lot.

As an alternative to the neoprene, google any combination of the words: "tankslapper film 3M". 3M makes a clear plastic film that can be cut in various shapes and stuck to the bike. It stays in place with static cling rather than adhesive. Typically, it's cut into shapes that fit your tank, sort of like a tank guard to protect against scratches from your jacket zipper and belt buckle, but instead of funky shapes and materials people use, this is nearly invisible. The Tankslapper brand offers the stuff pre-cut for your bike, for a more professional appearance and convenient application, but you could DIY it, especially with such a small area to protect.

Here's an article at webbikeworld to get you started:
Article

Anyway, bits of clear plastic sheets like this would probably provide the best protection if it's a concern.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
You can probably get neoprene from a local scuba dive shop or surf shop (if you have one in MD nearby) ... maybe for free too.

If not, and you don't care, think about a fun new color to paint the side pods once they're messed up! Bikes are meant to be used, scratches are fine and dulling of the paint means a fun custom project for your garage!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like I need something like this:

Silence-ilator Pads Silencing Material

It's used for archery. It's made out of neoprene and has an adhesive backing that I can attach to the bag. Hopefully the adhesive is good enough to stay on the bag, and the neoprene is thick enough to protect my overpriced Japanese plastic.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Those pads look like they would work and they're cheap, but I wouldn't rely on just the adhesive backing to keep them attached to the bags. You might want to stitch them onto the side panel of the bags, just so they're secure. But yeah, that should work.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I guess as long as it's a thick soft pad it'll work. Are you picking it up in person at the shop? You could even sow a thick piece of soft cotton or a thick microfiber cloth (like that you get at an auto parts store) could be sewn on to it for protection. It's mainly to avoid the rough rubbing that the canvas is going to produce as they bounce and move on the pod.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
I made some supports that help space the saddle bags away from the sides of the tail.

They attach (quickly!) to existing hardware under the tail, so no permanent modifications are necessary. I originally planned them for speed of installation & removal. They're so subtle, though, that I tend to leave them on full time.

tailbag_supports_-medium-300x225.jpg

tailbag_supports-001-medium-300x225.jpg

2009boone_fj-001-300x225.jpg