Confession: I'm going to get an adventure bike

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lol well if you sell your FZ and get a dual sport, forget about doing a trackday together... you were already slower on your FZ as it is :rof:

I say keep your FZ for touring and get a cheap track bike + cheap dirt bike :)

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
If you later decide the FZ is just collecting dust, then you can sell it.

Based on one co-worker's experience in New England you can successfully keep 3 functional bikes from collecting dust but once you add a fourth, you fall behind. The resolution of that issue is then to sell two bikes you have replace with thos two with one (worth the sum total of the two) to get you back to 3 again.

In this case he had a GS12, KTM640, Triumph Sprint ST, and a scooter. Eventually decided he wasnt' riding the Sprint enough so dumped it and the KTM to get a leftover BMW 650X Challenge. If you can find one, the 650 was a bargain - new 2007 for $5500 with 3yr warranty - but holy crap it's tall.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nate, I hope you can keep the FZ. I really like the DR a lot. But if I had the money, it would be an easy choice... Katie M! No doubt in my mind for what you're looking for. Have you given any thought to the Honda XR650L? Also a great dual purpose. I guess I'd go with the one that has the largest gas tank at this point. With any of these duals you're looking at, you really can't go wrong... it all boils down to proper maintenance at that point.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be so bored over 65 mph with a thumper. They do turn great and are quick out of the hole but that is about it. The old Yamaha SRX600 Super Single made a whopping 33hp! My RZ350 ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Because the FZ is a compromise on the track get the Adventure zebra safari outback thing, and find a bike that it already track prepped. For $3,000 you can find a very nice bike. I'd guess NorCal is swimming in them.

Remember if you buy this thing you have to get the big, square metal boxes the BMW guys have. They and the Uly dudes really get excited about them, like really excited. It's kind of frightening....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like you should go for a dual sport, or super-motard...then you will have something that can do both....road & dirt.

i would keep the fizzer, but you might find you never ride it, once you get a more versatile steed.

:thumbup:
Sadly, for once Jamie makes sense lol. Besides the FZ6 forum is much more that a single bike site. Go for it Defy and enlighten us all.

Nelly

PS will this mean that you are giving up the track?

W

wrightme43

Two bikes is the only answer. One of course doesnt have to be the fz. LOL

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
lol well if you sell your FZ and get a dual sport, forget about doing a trackday together... you were already slower on your FZ as it is :rof::)

Yeah, I'd be doing supermoto track days on cart tracks for like $25 a day. Supermoto would be perfect for you, Wavex, crashing is the norm.

I say keep your FZ for touring and get a cheap track bike + cheap dirt bike :)

The adventure element is missing from all of those.

I will be able to (and definitely will) pull out of my garage and go anywhere with a dual sport. The riding up here is more varied than down south so there are ton of great motard/dual-sport rides that aren't so great on a sportbike...and then there is the dirt.

Have you given any thought to the Honda XR650L? Also a great dual purpose. I guess I'd go with the one that has the largest gas tank at this point.

Yes, XR650L and XR650R and both in the running as well. Gas tank (range) is very important and will not be overlooked. You can buy a cheap plastic upsized tanks for most all of them though so not a deal breaker.

You'll be so bored over 65 mph with a thumper. They do turn great and are quick out of the hole but that is about it.

Bored? Did you look at those pictures I posted on the first page? Sliding and lean angle at sub-65 works for me. I rarely ride over 65/70 in the twisties anyway.

I'm not a horsepower guy...I sold my truck for a MX-5 (*cough*miata*), remember? :D

The old Yamaha SRX600 Super Single made a whopping 33hp! My RZ350 ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. .

Dude, it's not 1983 anymore. haha, just messing with you Top!

But seriously, power to weight ratio...

Remember if you buy this thing you have to get the big, square metal boxes the BMW guys have. They and the Uly dudes really get excited about them, like really excited. It's kind of frightening....

Nah, that's not my thing. Light weight FTW...backpacking style.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as I get my truck paid off, it'll be this:

f800gs-5.jpg

I looked at the KLR's, but I won't be buying anything without a gas gauge... I'll definitely keep the FZ, she's too much fun on the canyon asphalt.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Thumper! It's a 07 XR650L, I've sone a few mods to make it more user friendly. 4.7 gallon Clarke tank, braided lines and a few other things make it a pleaseure to ride. It really doesn't do well on the highway, but for backroads and sand it's a blast.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would love to get an adventure bike someday, KLR650 or something....

Good luck with the search and purchase

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as I get my truck paid off, it'll be this:

f800gs-5.jpg

I looked at the KLR's, but I won't be buying anything without a gas gauge... I'll definitely keep the FZ, she's too much fun on the canyon asphalt.

I love this bike... I did (and still do) seriously consider it. It is powered by a inline twin Rotax engine (85 hp). It should haul ass on and off the road. Further, having a Rotax engine should make it much more reliable that BMW's standard fare.;)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'd be doing supermoto track days on cart tracks for like $25 a day. Supermoto would be perfect for you, Wavex, crashing is the norm.

The adventure element is missing from all of those.

I will be able to (and definitely will) pull out of my garage and go anywhere with a dual sport. The riding up here is more varied than down south so there are ton of great motard/dual-sport rides that aren't so great on a sportbike...and then there is the dirt.

Sounds like a lot of fun indeed! I'd love to try a supermoto around a kart track and slide it all over the place... looks easier than it is I am sure!

It really is a personal choice... a dual sport will get you the offroad adventure, but the tradeoff is less fun in the twisties (knobby tires don't like to be leaned too hard...). Also, going offroad alone is not the best idea right? so you need someone to ride with on a regular basis and that's not easy to find sometimes... and doesn't offroad riding involve a bit more logistics and prep?

Anyway, good luck with it all and let us know what you end up deciding! :rockon: