Coming to America!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nay, nay, nay, Vegas...I must politely disagree. :spank: :D

California??? Yeah, there are some fabulous roads there, but if you want an experience of a lifetime, Wolfman, you need to take Erci's advice and come to Deal's Gap on the Tennessee/North Carolina border. Here's the thing...everyone goes for The Dragon, but what people that have never been there before don't get until they visit is that there are literally TONS of great roads, all within a few miles of there.

!

Deals Gap is kind of a Tourist Trap, at times it might be too congested. Plus do they still allow tractor trailors on that road? At least in California, they don't allow certain size vehicles on the roads that are so twisty.

The Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains has great roads, I've been on them, just not on a bike. But beside the riding, what else is there to do besides rafting or campning or going to Dollyworld?

One day, I too would like to ride the Gap. But in general if you're on a budget and due to time constraint, California has EVERYTHING. The Beach, lakes and rivers, Hollywood, Mountains, and hundreds if not thousands of miles of twisted pavement that's not congested. Plus it's in close proximity to other areas like Vegas, Grand Canyon, and so on.

It's just unfortunate that most visitors are unable to visit the finer side of America, such as the Midwest or even the deep south or the upper pinninsuala of Michigan or Wisconsin. NYC, LA, & Vegas is usally the top three.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! (I got torqued up just reading about your plans)
If you travel from west to east you may want to consider the I-81 corridor, (off I-41), heading north. (Hey, it works from east to west if you're heading south, as well!) Maybe consider I-75 depending upon how far south you want to go.
After a worse than usual, (more like what we used to have), winter - many of our interstates are in the worst condition that I have ever seen them. Hopefully by next year that will not be a factor.
IF it were me I would suggest riding up the east coast at some point, after seeing the Smoky Mountains of East Tennesse, possibly cruising through Kentucky and up through Pennsylvania and Amish country. (Just my biased, unprofessional opion....feel free to make it your's)
I am sure by then you will have PLENTY of opinions, quality input, and the proper time to sort it all out, (if we are not all glowing with radiation by then! : ) !
Good luck!

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
haven't done it, but I've heard it's one of the best ways to see the real America:
infamous Route 66....a series of secondary highways that run between SoCal
and Chicago....you'd go through hundreds of towns....used to be the way across
America before the building of the Interstates

Best Motorcycle Tours USA - Route 66

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I for one have been impressed with the prices at National Powersports Distributors Pembroke, New Hampshire- 1-603-410-4120 and they are super cool guys to deal with. Also they deal in all used bikes, so they would probably buy the bike(s) back after the trip, probably take some off for mileage and wear and tear, but I bet you could work something out with them.

Lucky thing is that they are right in the middle of FZ1inNH and Myself :) Keep me posted when you are coming, i would like to hook up with you for a day ride or lend a place to stay. Also if you end up getting a bike from them, i would be happy to go take a look at it, test ride it, and pick it up for you before your arrival. We are in NH which is in almost the Northeast corner of the country, so a decent starting point for a cross country trip.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked through their inventory and lots of cruisers right now, but keep your eye on them, they usually have lots of sport touring and standard bikes in the list as the year moves along.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I live up in Maine but will absolutely try to get down and meet up with you guys if you made it as far north as New Hampshire. Some good roads out that way too. you could do the road up Mount Washington and then onto the kankamangus highway. I have never done them but plan to make a trip down this summer. This might be a good excuse to do it.

If you do decide to ride the coast of Maine or Acadia National Park I've got a couple spare bedrooms. Either way, keep us informed and have a great trip.

Also have you thought of renting a bike? I'm not sure how the numbers would work out but it may be worth looking into.

Last edited:

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
.am not a fan of straight roads! Am not a fan of "tourist sites", although, i do have a few places that i want to visit...the Grand Canyon, Victoria Falls, anything that is truely Spectacular to view, and places that are truely awe inspiring!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yipes I guess Florida is out of the equation. If'n you do make it this far south there is a beer or two in the fridge waiting.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Add me to the list of people that want to spend a few miles (I mean km) with you if you're in the northeast. I'm not as ambitious as you are, but maybe I'll head to Deals Gap if you're going that way.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
If your route takes you through then Houston area give me a call. Depending on the timing I could be convinced to take some time off work for a ride down/through big bend. I've never been, but I hear it's beautiful.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ALLRIGHT I Got you covered here in Louisiana Jamie ! i'm gonna buy a touring bike and me and my wife will take out with ya from here... we have a guest room,and we will have a crawfish boil do some lounging pool side,and some River Boat Gambling !! :BLAA: catch some comedians at the Funny Bone and just have us a Good Ol Time" Aiy Eee " I guarontea !! :rockon: :rockon: :D and I will check on the Swamp tour too ! and I will also work on the route to include the best American sites and festivals we can hit !! :cheer: :rockon: :D

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
No "turistie" uhu?
I guess that is one of the multiple reasons I don't leave in Manhattan, Brooklyn is way cooler, I don't have a second bedroom but my couch is pretty comfortable. Go to "deals gap" for 11 miles of the best turns, then come here for 11 miles of the best beer bars.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Buying a used bike and selling it when you're finished using it is an idea. Not sure how the registration or insurance process would work. If this is the route, depending on the state that you buy and register with, can make a lot of difference.

In Oregon (located above California) No sales tax and very cheap registration. Also if you buy it from a private seller, there should be no tax, I think.

For those that have said come here or visit there, seriously consider making a trip out to where they will be if they don't come near where you live. Can't see why anyone can't find the time and make a roadtrip themselves.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
sounds like a great idea. we have a big country to see in 4 weeks. i've been to deals gap and it's nice. it's short. but the roads leading up to it are just as good. if you can make your trip go through there i'm sure you'll enjoy it. i'm going to be taking a trip up north on the bike this summer. my father-in-law has planned it. i'll take notes and pass along anything that i think you might want to see or roads that'd be good to ride. wish i could trade places and do this in australia.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you want to come to California? Schwarzenegger is no longer the governor here. Seriously, that GREAT that you want to come to our country to tear up our roads and split our lanes in CA. But you better hurry!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You will have to come up to the great Northwest! Lots of great roads and scenery. Lots of great people. I would be willing to meet down in Southern Cal and ride back. I want to see the Moto GP race myself. Please keep me in mind. :rockon:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site