Cold mornings = cold chin?

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I use a full face helmet, it doesn't seem to be a porblem.

I wear a full-face helmet, too, but there's a fair amount of neck and the underside of my chin that are exposed. I wear a polar fleece neck buff, tuck it up under the chin guard of my FF helmet. With this arrangement, plus my Gerbing heated jacket liner, I can ride all day in near-freezing temps.

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
Simple bandana (actually its an Army cravat) worn bandit style. Keeps the nose, mouth, chin and neck warm. I get one large enough so I can tuck it into the neck of my jacket. $5.00 and you are good to go!

+1 on the bandanna

I wear $1.99 Army/Navy store bandannas 'bandit style' down to about 40F. At temps below that, I break out the polar fleece neck tube from the skiing gear bag.

For the hands, I have a pair of insulated leather winter riding gloves purchased from Dennis Kirk years ago. They have a zipper pocket on each gauntlet that stores the nylon rain covers - which I put on over the gloves when it is especially bitter...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Full face lid, and a 'Polar Buff' - No cold chin issues at all! :D

Can't recommend Buff enough...

Buffwear - Multifunctional Headwear

Ok! I am convinced that it is better to be in the Buff than the balaclava. :thumbup:

That is one COOL product! Sold! I watched the biker chick demo and this is so simple and amazing!

B

bluenova

:hijack:

Other than good gloves, what can be done about the outside of your hands??? I've got some cold weather gloves made by Tour Master, but my hands are still stiff as a board. Besides my hands, that's all I really have a problem with when it get's cold out.

Suggestions on the hands?

Make sure the ends of your fingers are not touching the gloves, if they are your gloves are too small and the cold will transfer to your finger-tips.

Get a thin pair of cotton gloves to wear under your winter gloves, multiple thin layers works much better than one thick layer.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
My jacket's liner has a flip-out neck gaiter, which takes up the gap between the jacket collar and my neck.

On weekend rides, I'll wear a turtle-neck. For the weekday commute (it was 48-50F this morning) I just ignore the cold - I need to have all the airflow I can get into my helmet or it fogs

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Balaclava Sir. :D

It was 38 degrees this morning when I drove in. No issues though thanks to good cold weather gear and the balaclava.

extremeties-powerstretch-balaclava.jpg

You can usually find these at most sporting goods stores or trading posts and some cycle gear shops. Here's a nice thermal one on Amazon: Amazon.com: Pace P3 Thermal Polypro Balaclava: Apparel

:thumbup:

I use one of these when it is really cold... but as of right now I am using a scarf as it is not too cold yet.

I wrap the scarf around my face and tuck it into my coat...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
It doesn't get too cold here, but of course, in CA we're all thinking it's cold below 75! But for when it's in the 50s I wear a shishi Calvin Klein scarf (xmas present) that looks damn good when it's draped around my neck as I walk in...very stylish.

I wear thermal thinsulate inner gloves (super thin) under my gloves and I'm toasty...almost too warm...if you're dying, get those hot packets for skiers to put in your gloves for freezing mornings?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm partial to the fleece lined bandanas. They sell them at most ski stores.
They are super warm, very soft and comfortable, and block a lot of wind. They also fit really well under the FF helmet, tuck into the jacket and reduce fog. Win-win.

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently picked up a fog evader-clava. It's a balaclava with an extra nose/mouth cover that works very well in keeping you from fogging your visor. It does feel a little funny wearing it though but not noticeable under a full face.