Pretty upsetting...

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed with everyone else here about your bike. I remember my first drop, first time I went our riding alone, took a corner too slow, tried to get my foot down but unfortunately, there was gravel, and that was that!
And holy cow, it's a good thing that Admin has a filter for profanity or we'd be doing a lot of editing! ;)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always take a day or two to get used to my winter gloves after summer and yes new gloves can be pretty stiff, but like CNY Fizzer said, take your time, there is no hurry. My son dropped the bike in his learners about 5 times but passed the actual test.
Then when we went for real ride No1, he dropped it in a small turn, then again a few weeks later, then again on a roundabout and then breaking in the wet on a greasy patch at the stop light. He doesnt drop it anymore, he found its more fun staying upright! I dropped mine in the driveway, then in the street out front of next door neighbours house on an icy patch last winter.

Not saying you have to do it, but plenty of us have, and the hurt ego heals fast and plastics take a little longer.

take your time, keep wearing the gear, practice in the carpark, and then go practice some more.
good on you for being upfront about your mishap, now we want to hear of your achievements(when your ready)

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed with everyone else here about your bike. I remember my first drop, first time I went our riding alone, took a corner too slow, tried to get my foot down but unfortunately, there was gravel, and that was that!
And holy cow, it's a good thing that Admin has a filter for profanity or we'd be doing a lot of editing! ;)

Haha I actually editted it myself because I have gotten a warning when I first made this forum account for swearing :spank:

I always take a day or two to get used to my winter gloves after summer and yes new gloves can be pretty stiff, but like CNY Fizzer said, take your time, there is no hurry. My son dropped the bike in his learners about 5 times but passed the actual test.
Then when we went for real ride No1, he dropped it in a small turn, then again a few weeks later, then again on a roundabout and then breaking in the wet on a greasy patch at the stop light. He doesnt drop it anymore, he found its more fun staying upright! I dropped mine in the driveway, then in the street out front of next door neighbours house on an icy patch last winter.

Not saying you have to do it, but plenty of us have, and the hurt ego heals fast and plastics take a little longer.

take your time, keep wearing the gear, practice in the carpark, and then go practice some more.
good on you for being upfront about your mishap, now we want to hear of your achievements(when your ready)

I wish I knew about breaking in the gear beforehand. I think my gloves and me being excited to ride after a long day at drill definitely had something to do with me falling. I took it out today, with the same gloves but took it easier. Harley's waved at me :rockon:
I can't wear the jacket and the pants, it's too much for me lol. I'm still a lil sore from the fall, but aye i'll live :rolleyes::thumbup:

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a saying in motorcycling that I have heard more times than I can count "It's not if you will go down, it's when", some of us do it more than once.

When I first started riding a few years back I dropped the bike at zero MPH at a stop sign that was on a hill. Hill was steeper than I thought and my downhill foot didn't find pavement so the bike and I both fell, I managed to hop clear but the bike had a few scratched.

My second fall was just last month. I went down at about 40M MPH (when I met the pavement). I slid under the back of an F150, and the trailer hitch of the truck put a small hole in the frame of the bike, which left her a total loss. I walked away with some deep tissue bruising on my ankle and a sprained wrist, but I also live by the motto ATGATT (in case you haven't heard it 1 million times on here yet, "All The Gear, All The Time").

It sucks, but it is part of riding. You just have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse and keep practicing.

If the gloves don't work for you, find some that do. I have three pairs right now, and I am looking to replace one of them. Gloves come in alot of different styles, and not all feel the bars equally well. The best gloves I have ever used for feeling the bike at Icon Twenty-niner gloves(very thin goatskin palms, mmmm) but they don't offer alot of protection. I typically ride with AGV Sport Dragon gloves (full cowhide with carbon fiber knuckles and finger gaurds) but they don't offer as much of a feel of the bike and they don't breath well enough for the hottest days.

Moral of the story is, that one pair of gloves isn't your only option in the world. Check out a local shop, read reviews online and find some that really will work for you.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a saying in motorcycling that I have heard more times than I can count "It's not if you will go down, it's when", some of us do it more than once.

When I first started riding a few years back I dropped the bike at zero MPH at a stop sign that was on a hill. Hill was steeper than I thought and my downhill foot didn't find pavement so the bike and I both fell, I managed to hop clear but the bike had a few scratched.

My second fall was just last month. I went down at about 40M MPH (when I met the pavement). I slid under the back of an F150, and the trailer hitch of the truck put a small hole in the frame of the bike, which left her a total loss. I walked away with some deep tissue bruising on my ankle and a sprained wrist, but I also live by the motto ATGATT (in case you haven't heard it 1 million times on here yet, "All The Gear, All The Time").

It sucks, but it is part of riding. You just have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse and keep practicing.

If the gloves don't work for you, find some that do. I have three pairs right now, and I am looking to replace one of them. Gloves come in alot of different styles, and not all feel the bars equally well. The best gloves I have ever used for feeling the bike at Icon Twenty-niner gloves(very thin goatskin palms, mmmm) but they don't offer alot of protection. I typically ride with AGV Sport Dragon gloves (full cowhide with carbon fiber knuckles and finger gaurds) but they don't offer as much of a feel of the bike and they don't breath well enough for the hottest days.

Moral of the story is, that one pair of gloves isn't your only option in the world. Check out a local shop, read reviews online and find some that really will work for you.

Glad you made it out, did the F-150 pull out in front of you? And yes, I plan on returning the gloves and sending them a message sayin that their gloves made me fall lol.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had forgotten about the hall of shame so I am getting ready to write the full story on there, but the short version is I was stuck behind 3 cars in a 55 MPH zone who were travelling about 40-45 MPH. We reached a passing zone and I went to pass the first car with no oncoming traffic. Except that the middle car (the F150) was signalling to turn into a driveway on the left side. I was boxed in with no where to go. I could not see the F150's turn signals so it was a complete surprise to me. I managed to avoid hitting any of the cars except the trailer hitch on the F150 as I slid part way under his rear end.

It was a good reminder that as motorcycle riders we need to be better than just following the rules. I technically did not violate any rules of the road, and the officer who responded agreed and did not issue me a citation, but as a rider we need to be at a higher level of awareness and patience. I should have considered that it was a residential area, and I should have shown more patience. I probably will not be passing vehicles again unless absolutely necessary. You live and you learn.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wear the jacket and the pants, it's too much for me lol. I'm still a lil sore from the fall, but aye i'll live :rolleyes::thumbup:

So, you fall during your first month of riding, and what you take away from it it that you don't need your jacket and pants!

It's none of my business, but i find that a bit confusing...

Gear works better when it's on you!

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
So, you fall during your first month of riding, and what you take away from it it that you don't need your jacket and pants!

It's none of my business, but i find that a bit confusing...

Gear works better when it's on you!

Yeah man, it's too much for me. I sweat a lot as it is. Pain is weakness leaving the body :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site

[sarcasm]Makes perfect sense to me.[/sarcasm]

To the OP:
What rider training have you had?

Long story short, if none, get some. If any, get more. The only thing I can think of that would make your glove grip the throttle too hard.............is your hand. I'm thinking you've rolled the throttle on, and then tried to let the throttle slip back through your hand to close it? If so, that's really, really terrible technique that's easily solvable with training.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to drop my bike after getting some new fancy boots, stopped at a junction, my foot slipped and the bike began to fall.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
[sarcasm]Makes perfect sense to me.[/sarcasm]

To the OP:
What rider training have you had?

Long story short, if none, get some. If any, get more. The only thing I can think of that would make your glove grip the throttle too hard.............is your hand. I'm thinking you've rolled the throttle on, and then tried to let the throttle slip back through your hand to close it? If so, that's really, really terrible technique that's easily solvable with training.

I had MSF 3 weeks prior to me getting a bike. That is all. And I think it was me not being used to the gloves or the feeling of the throttle through the padded gloves.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man, it's too much for me. I sweat a lot as it is. Pain is weakness leaving the body :thumbup:

Coming from someone who provided us with this gem:

"One of the turns is legit a 90 degree angled turn. Also, I forgot if I should pull the clutch in while turning/leaning? Or give it a little throttle plus play with the clutch? And I did keep the handbook."

Once again, none of my business, but i would think in your case more gear would be better than less...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding dirt bikes for most of my life seems to be paying off. 3+ years on the street and 17,000 + miles and we as a couple have no downs.

Greatest mistakes/close calls came from:
Passing cages
Gravel
Excessive speed

Key for me is don't panic, don't over-react (act?), let the bike fix itself (it wants too), but we tend to screw that up giving it inputs that are unreasonable for the situation.

Tip - get in a BIG EMPTY OPEN parking lot and practice tight corners and trail braking. It will teach you things you need to know about low speed corning, braking, throttle control, leaning and being smooth. Do this at least once a month for 10 ~ 15 min. And go ride to relax.

Practice panic stops in safe places. Practice switching lanes and heavy braking in safe places. Build your reflex muscles to you don't have to think. Also, adjust the rear brake lever down so you're less likely to mash it during panic and wreck.
- Load the bases in your favor by practicing!! Know you limits, tests them occasionally and don't place yourself in situations where you exceed your skills. i.e. heed those little voices (warning signs).

Good Luck!

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
And I think it was me not being used to the gloves or the feeling of the throttle through the padded gloves.

I can see how stiff gloves or a style that had a large palm/wrist pad or puck might cause some issues with the throttle. I had a pair of riding gloves that had a hard puck on the heel of the palm that caused me to do some funny things with the throttle as I took my MSF. That said, it was still ME controlling the throttle.