Cold mornings = cold chin?

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been cold in the mornings (50 F or 10.0 C) lately. Riding into work, my chin and neck get pretty cold. How do you guys deal with this? Am I going to have to start wearing scarves? Suprisingly, my hands/fingers haven't felt any difference.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been cold here in the mornings (50 F or 10.0 C) lately. Riding into work, my chin and neck get pretty cold. How do you guys deal with this? Am I going to have to start wearing scarves? Suprisingly, my hands/fingers haven't felt any difference.

Balaclava Sir. :D

It was 38 degrees this morning when I drove in. No issues though thanks to good cold weather gear and the balaclava.

extremeties-powerstretch-balaclava.jpg

You can usually find these at most sporting goods stores or trading posts and some cycle gear shops. Here's a nice thermal one on Amazon: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pace-P3-Thermal-Polypro-Balaclava/dp/B000QW69FC/ref=pd_cp_a_3?pf_rd_p=437175401&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KA91DM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RQ1ZNXEB3ENC8BC9TQN[/ame]

:thumbup:

Last edited:
J

jondav123

I have been "just dealing with it"......your face will start moving again within a few minutes of receiving heat!!! :D:D:D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 Balaclava.
Rode 550km wet in 0 degrees c with one on and my head was the only part of me that was warm...lol.:thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
A neckwarmer, as described above, works great for me on 40F fast commutes. If I were taking a longer trip, or in colder weather, I would grab a baclava.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really have anything to deal with this either, but I have been wearing a hoodie under my jacket and leaving the hood out. It seems to wrap up around my neck and makes it a little more manageable. My cold area is not so much neck up to chin but neck down to chest. My jacket is a little big and leaves a gap at the neck hole.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
The balaclava is a pretty hardcore solution. I'm liking the polar scarf idea.

Do the newer helmets come with some sort of solution for this cold problem. My HJC has a breath guard for anti-fogging (it helps, but not 100%).

How does this "chin guard" hook into the helmet?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple bandana (actually its an Army cravat) worn bandit style. Keeps the nose, mouth, chin and neck warm. I get one large enough so I can tuck it into the neck of my jacket. $5.00 and you are good to go!

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
33 deg F here this morning.... After riding to work with too many sweaters etc. I WILL be digging out my snowmobile gear tonight.... The collars on those jackets are bigger/taller and designed to fit with a helmet. If they keep me warm at 100mph across a lake in February they will work now too!

A

Aggietaco

All of the new Shoei's come with a chin curtain. I installed it this week and it keeps the wind off my chin nicely. When it get's really chilly around here, I wrap a scarf around my neck and tuck it into my jacket.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I have a polar scarf thingie for when it's cool and a balaclava for when it's bitter cold - both when I shouldn't be riding :)

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I know at cycle gear they sell a piece that goes onto the bottom of you helmet to block the wind going up into your face. Using one of those plus the ski mask will make you extra warm in cold weather

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
I have something like the polar scarf. It is just a ring of material (feels like sweatshirt - soft on inside, but strong on outside). I can put it just around my neck, or pull it up over my chin, or pull it all the way up to my nose depending on how cold it is. I found it at a sporting goods store a few years ago for like $3.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
:hijack:

Other than good gloves, what can be done about the outside of your hands??? I've got some cold weather gloves made by Tour Master, but my hands are still stiff as a board. Besides my hands, that's all I really have a problem with when it get's cold out.

Suggestions on the hands?

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
Or you could be a cheap ass like I was and cut one of the center stiches out of a longer toboggin and then just pull it all the way over your head and into the jacket. I leave it right up to the bottom of my nose and I haven't been cold there yet even at 38 this morning. My hands on the other hand were a different story.

Khyren