Can't get new bike to start! Interlock?

SnyperFyre

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I recently bought a 2006 fz6 with 8300kms. I got a good deal but didn't attempt to start it before buying since it was -20 Celsius. I drained the fuel, added fresh premium fuel. Was still unable to start. Checked the air box for critters. It was ok. I am getting spark. Looked inside throttle body, and injectors are firing. I noticed while cranking the engine over the "check engine" light flickers? Is this simply because I haven't built oil pressure yet? I am in neutral. Any interlocks I should be aware of? I appreciate any input. Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I recently bought a 2006 fz6 with 8300kms. I got a good deal but didn't attempt to start it before buying since it was -20 Celsius. I drained the fuel, added fresh premium fuel. Was still unable to start. Checked the air box for critters. It was ok. I am getting spark. Looked inside throttle body, and injectors are firing. I noticed while cranking the engine over the "check engine" light flickers? Is this simply because I haven't built oil pressure yet? I am in neutral. Any interlocks I should be aware of? I appreciate any input. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

You didn't hear the engine run at all???

There is no oil pressure switch, just an oil level (in the oil pan).

First off, I'd get the bike to above freezing temps (especially since we don't know of other issues).
and make sure the battery is fully charged. Cold temps like that would be hard on ANY bike....
Especially on the battery.

If the engine is spinning over, with spark, you don't have any open safety switches.

Should you think it's flooded, hold the throttle WIDE OPEN, don't release it and crank it
for several seconds... Repeat...

Please do the above, see what happens and better yet, can you post a video of you trying to start it?

I'm not familiar with the interlock as it's not available in the states. I wouldn't think it would spin over if
the interlock was activated. Perhaps someone with it can clarify...

Last edited:

SnyperFyre

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think I got it narrowed down to cylinder wash. Engine oil is overfull and smells like gas. Probably from continually trying to start it in cold weather. Any idea where I can find compression specs ? Thanks again all

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
190 - 230 psi / 1300 - 1650 kpa @400 Revs/min
In cold temps it would be hard to reach the proper cranking speed. That said drying the plugs with a propane torch has served me well. Slow easy, warm them untill they smoke. Roughly 250 to 300°F. Let them air cool and install them.

SnyperFyre

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: Thanks for the help everyone! I got my bike started. Combination of cylinder wash due to attempting to start in -20C temperature. Battery is severely depleted, even after a week on trickle charger. I replaced the spark plugs (I was there checking compression so why not) Luckily we got unseasonably warm temperatures here 0C so I decided to boost the bike and it fired up without issue. Thanks again for the help everyone, can't wait to ride in the spring!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: Thanks for the help everyone! I got my bike started. Combination of cylinder wash due to attempting to start in -20C temperature. Battery is severely depleted, even after a week on trickle charger. I replaced the spark plugs (I was there checking compression so why not) Luckily we got unseasonably warm temperatures here 0C so I decided to boost the bike and it fired up without issue. Thanks again for the help everyone, can't wait to ride in the spring!

Excellent!!

Couple suggestions if not already done:

Put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and run the engine to get it in the system.

Also, fill the tank to the brim to prevent moisture in the tank causing rust...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This if we are talking about extra battery voltage/current - this can bite you!

I decided to boost the bike and it fired up without issue.

The reason being the bikes shunt regulator which is internal the regulator rectifier can be damged (burned open) by excessive current.

So, it is not recommended to boost or jump start these from a running vehicle as for a example a cars alternator sees the bike as load dropping its output. It responds to this load by increasing the current output which can quickly overheat the shunt and damage the RR.

Do not boost or jump little FZ from running vehicle!

Do you have a volt ohm meter? If your charge voltage from the bike is over 14.5v it may have damaged the RR...