piercer808

Reaction score
Visit site
'06 FZ6 dies on throttle (video included)

I'm a newbie here, and used the "search" function to check the forums for this particular problem. Besides the advice given for general fuel-related problems, I was wondering if anybody had any insight on this specific problem I'm having.

I was given an FZ6 that was sitting for over three years. It wasn't running when I got it, so I did a cleanup of the fuel system. Removed and cleaned/de-rusted the inside of the gas tank and replaced the old fuel pump that was crudded up. However, I did NOT replace the fuel injectors. Instead, I soaked them in vinegar in hopes of removing any gunk left from the old gas.

Bike didn't start at first. Fuel pump works and I confirmed pressure was being built by disconnecting the fuel line and placing my fingertip over the fuel outlet as the pump was spinning -- seems to have excellent pressure.

Next attempt at starting the bike. I sprayed engine starter fluid down the throttle body while opening up the throttle, and the bike eventually started. I was able to feather the throttle to get a nice 3,000 to 4,000 RPM going for a couple seconds before the engine stammered to a halt. Started the bike up again with starter fluid, and the engine will BARELY hold an idle before it eventually dies. However, the engine immediately dies as soon as I apply throttle.

Checked the TPS in diagnostic mode, and I get the required readings at idle as well as full throttle, so the TPS seems to be working.

Here's a video of the symptoms: https://youtu.be/xqVDS_Lo6JU

My question is: Do you think the problem is in the fuel injectors? Could they still be clogged? Should I just purchase a new set rather than attempt to clean the old set?

Thanks!

Last edited: