calling all fabricators!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
As some of you know my bike is currently under transformation from faired to naked (w/custom head light) :rockon:

I am at the step of having some brackets made up for a headlight I picked out (ebay listing has ended so I have no picture of it) :spank:

I like the headlight I picked out but I have now seen the Ducati streetfighter headlight :drool: and have come to a crossroads.

So my questions are these:
1.Rake on a FZ6 is 25.0 degrees and the Duc is 25.6 degrees so mounted in a similar fashion I shouldn't have to do to much adjusting to get the light in the correct spot....right?

2.Both bikes use 42mm forks. But the Duc's are inverted.....so the inside diameter of the triple won't be the same.....right? As in our I.D. is ~43mm and the Duc's will be bigger...correct? So I wont be able to use the Duc's mounting system and still have to go with a custom bracket for their light. ( I think this is inevitable any way as I would have to mount our gauge cluster...)

Ahh, just imagine a naked FZ with that sexy headlight, belly pan, seat cowl, in a burnt orange metallic :drool: :drool:

Well I will soon have some pics of my progress and hopefully (if all goes well) I will have her painted and put together in the next couple of months! ( if I ever make up my mind....)

TIA :rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Please do get the Duc's headlight, because I want to see it on an FZ!!! That would be sick imo.

About your questions, here are my opinions:

1. I don't think you need to worry about the rake differences at all. You will most likely have more difficult issues to deal with, i.e. the FZ'6 frame sticking out in front of the triple clamp and making sure you have enough clearance to be able to steer from left to right, electrical compatibility, mounting bracket...

2. As you mentioned, there is very little chance that the stock Duc mounting bracket will work, even independantly of the diameter of the forks. If I were you, I'd check the price of the bracket and if it's reasonable, I'd get it with the headlight, as it will help you no matter what (either you can modify it to work, or get pieces from it and re-use them with a separate custom bracket). If the price is high, I'd just get the headlight and figure out the mounting myself. About the speedo, you do not necessarily have to use the headlight bracket to mount it... one other possibility is to drill/tap your top triple (I had done that for the KOSO) and make a custom bracket for the speedo alone. Something to keep in mind because making a bracket for both the headlight and speedo can be a challenge.

Please buy that headlight!!!! :)

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Is this the one?
Ducati_Streetfighter_S_headlight.jpg

Fred

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this the one?
Ducati_Streetfighter_S_headlight.jpg

Fred

WOW..that's a cool headlight....I have to be honest, I love the way the stock FZ looks, particully the S2...but man some of the naked FZ's showing up in David's(Wavex) FZ6N thread are just fantastic looking.

Has me thinking that if I ever damage the fairing on my FZ.....bye bye fairing...hello nakedness!:D

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
OK, the quick solution to the FZ fork tubes being too small is to shim them. Something like PVC pipe split in half will work, so long as it's the right size on the inside and outside. Put the halves in place and then clamp down the clamps. If you really want it to look good, you could put tapers on the ends.

PM me some dimensions and I can do a quick rendering. I'd need the diameter of the FZ6 fork tubes, the diameter of the Duck uppers, and the OD of the clamps.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you get the whole Duc front end? Forks, brakes, wheel, et all? Now that would be uber trick.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
OK, here's my idea. These could be made on a lathe out of black Delrin plastic, and they'd look pretty sharp. The black bits are the spacers. The blue is the clamp on the Duck headlight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Get me some dimensions and I can make a set of plans that you can give to a machinist.

Fred

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, here's my idea. These could be made on a lathe out of black Delrin plastic, and they'd look pretty sharp. The black bits are the spacers. The blue is the clamp on the Duck headlight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Get me some dimensions and I can make a set of plans that you can give to a machinist.

Fred

That looks good Fred, but isn't that the bottom triple? Nothing on this pic above shows how the headlight is mounted. It would be interesting to the see Duc OEM bracket...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
That looks good Fred, but isn't that the bottom triple? Nothing on this pic above shows how the headlight is mounted. It would be interesting to the see Duc OEM bracket...

Oh, yeah.

I thought that was just the headlight mount.

Oh well, I got some practice with Inventor.

Fred

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could build custom bracket that you'd drill and tap the lower triple and mount it. I believe the Duc is set up this way and totally avoids tube mounting. I'd have to run to the dealer and get some pics though... Ride! Too bad I am in central Maine right now....

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred: that is the head light and I like the spacer idea if it is tube mounted...

Wavex: I don't think electrical compatibility is too much of an issue that will be hard to sort out. I am not to sure of triple mounting the speedo.....I have it zip tied :spank: there now and don't like the location.

Hellgate: As soon as you send me that big check I will get the whole front end :cool:

FZ1inNH:Yeah I need to go to the Duc dealer and really see how it is mounted.

Chunkygoat: (I think it was you that said zip ties...sorry if not) No mas zip ties!!!!!! That is what I am trying to get rid of!!!!!:spank:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
i.e. the FZ'6 frame sticking out in front of the triple clamp and making sure you have enough clearance to be able to steer from left to right,

I did not even think about this! Thanks David. Something else I need to keep in mind when I go to the stealership!

I hope that this headlight assembly isn't going to cost me a kidney, part of a liver and one of the family jewels! :eek:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
or for $1000 more you could get the whole bike (I am guessing Duc is going to charge A LOT for OEM parts) :rof:

I just found out that the whole bike sets you back close to 30.000 USD if bought here.........

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Half of that in the US. It's really not a bad price imo considering what you're getting.... kinda like the new BMW supersport machine S1000R, which retails at around $13.5k... Duc and BMW are making efforts!

BMW_S1000RR_45560.jpg