Build your own Manometer for Throttle Body Sync!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Trouble shooting tip

This is gonna be next on my project list. This is one of the buzziest bikes I've owned and I've been thinking it was due to throttle body sync.

This will seem OT, but chain alignment and tension are a big deal too.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Trouble shooting tip

This is gonna be next on my project list. This is one of the buzziest bikes I've owned and I've been thinking it was due to throttle body sync.

There are certainly a few other things that can contribute to the "buzz" of the FZ6 but the throttle body sync made the largest improvement of anything I've done so far. I used to have a nice buzz from 6-7K rpms and that is all but gone now. :thumbup:

smartguy69

Reaction score
Visit site
would this do the same thing for my FZ6 as i cant find the parts locally in the UK at a good price,

4 / four cylinder motorcycle vacuum gauge from Autolive Online - VGA4 | eBay

Cheers

Hi great post by FIZZER6. Lots of info and pictures. For all you guys who want to build one of these in the UK you can get a pack of T connectors, 90 degree bends and straight connectors from Pets at Home for just £1.00. You will need 2 packs as there are only 2 of each connector in the pack. The T's and bends should be a good substitute for the Dorman F connectors which are not available over here in the UK. They also sell the 6mm OD tubing to fit but it's blue and not sure if you will see the oil in it. £4.47 for 6 metres, not sure if that's cheap or not. Will let you know how I get on when I build mine. Here's the link for the connectors.

6mm Airline Mixed Connector 6 Pack by Algarde | Pets at Home

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Just built my manometer and did a sync today. Thanks for the awesome write-up. Bike runs much smoother, very noticeable difference. @21K miles

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HELL HAS FROZEN OVER.................:spank:

I finally built the manometer and plan on syncing tomorrow:rockon:

Thanks again for a great DIY project, FIZZER6!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
HELL HAS FROZEN OVER.................:spank:

I finally built the manometer and plan on syncing tomorrow:rockon:

Thanks again for a great DIY project, FIZZER6!

If it's never been done before get ready to ride an FZ6 like you have never experienced before! Smooth! :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's so much smoother I'm noticing other noises:D

Far less engine braking!

^^
Interesting observation! - it must be idling smoother OR getting more air! Is the idle speed good?

So, we spoke a while ago, where'd you end up getting the parts so others know. . .

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^
Interesting observation! - it must be idling smoother OR getting more air! Is the idle speed good?

So, we spoke a while ago, where'd you end up getting the parts so others know. . .

Initial idle was about 1350, no gurgle.
I did the sync, shut it off, and geared up. When I started it back up, idle was just over 1000 and gurgling. I adjusted to a needle width above 1000, no gurgle(1350ish).

I search a few stores within 10 miles of me for the fittings, no dice. I ended up ordering the fittings from RockAuto and the tubing from HomeDepot. The wood I got free from a lumber store, I explained to them what I was building:thumbup:.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got around to building it and I'm all but done but my final step placing the restrictors has me
Boggled I'm assuming the metal side of the restrictor goes towards the manometer but please correct me if I'm wrong

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got around to building it and I'm all but done but my final step placing the restrictors has me
Boggled I'm assuming the metal side of the restrictor goes towards the manometer but please correct me if I'm wrong

I built mine a couple months ago, I put the metal side facing away from the mano. Not sure if it makes a difference or not. I could not find any other pics showing it, but the end of the tubing in the bottle attaches to the manometer. This pic is from the OP.
2011-08-09125606.jpg

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

It does not matter which direction you put the restrictors as all it does is reduce the tubing down to a very small diameter at the restrictor to help stabilize the vacuum. I would put them all the same way though on all 4 lines.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I never posted a pic of the manometer I built following Fizzer6's thread, so here it is:thumbup:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to OP for the great instructions. I made a manometer weeks ago and used it yesterday (had to replace a broken f connector). I haven't had the chance to ride yet, but idle was already sounding better. BTW, I am in northern Virginia if any one wants to borrow a homemade manometer.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Built it and used it. Simply brilliant! Thanks for the great how-to. It worked perfectly with a little Marvel Mystery Oil.