Boots n Shoes when you commute

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, I suppose I should be buying footwear for the longer rides, not necessarily the 2km ride. I plan on doing a lot of weekend joyriding so perhaps I should be tailoring my choices to that style, and just wearing my normal shoes to work.. I mean, I go through 4 stop lights, in 2km, I barely hit 50 kmh when I drive my car..

IMO I would invest in a good pair of walking shoes and walk to work. As you mentioned, 2km is a very short distance to ride and warm the bike, unless you perform full warmup (which I am guilty of not always doing :eek:). Enjoy your longer weekend rides with level of protection that you feel comfortable with.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO I would invest in a good pair of walking shoes and walk to work. As you mentioned, 2km is a very short distance to ride and warm the bike, unless you perform full warmup (which I am guilty of not always doing :eek:). Enjoy your longer weekend rides with level of protection that you feel comfortable with.

Haha, thats fair, I've heard that before! 2km just isnt the nicest walking in dress pants and a full sleeve dress shirt

I suppose I may not ride it to work everyday.. like you said, by the time I get it warmed up, I could have driven there, or walked;)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride to work almost every day - have a dress code so have to wear dress pants, dress shirt and tie. Always keep a coat and shoes at my desk. Wear full boots, currently wear SIDI Fusion boots - easy on and off with a zipper and a big velcro tab. Takes very little time to change and is so worth the protection. The boots are warm and generally dry although they do leak a little in an intense rainstorm.

My ride is about 10 miles so the bike gets warmed up. Would worry about a short drive - bought a Chevy Volt a few months back. A great car and cheap to operate and what is really cool is I don't have to worry about warming the engine up as the gas engine doesn't run and the electric motor doesn't need to be warmed up. Only time the gas engine runs is on long drives or when it is below 32F it runs for heat.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i usually ride in some type of over the ankle boot. a minimum is like a hiking boot and more common is a "work" type boot, or a "tacticle" type as this is what i were for work.

i have been down a couple times and have never had any major issues with my lower half ( always have jacket/gloves/helmet and jeans on). i know jeans are not that great but that is a price i may have to pay some day.

my boots have always been about the same, with very little to no damage..... till this fall

this was my composite toe work boot from this last fall.

and i tell ya it has me re thinking some things...

just my .02

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
I go in a pair of high heeled sneakers around town but have in mind i Live in Bulgaria so my town riding is at 50-60 kph max tons of traffic jams and my largest commute is about 3 kms. If there is even a slight chance of going anywhere out of town A* SMX5 race boots and full Dainese leather(thanks to my girl nagging me to always by"the best gear")

I have 3 crashes in total for my riding career. All 3 were in city driving.
2 were people running red light hitting me straigh on my side both times i was in sneakers and my moderate speed meant i had only bruising. 3rd time i ran into the car in front because of a retarded pedestrian that fell on the road and the RAN AWAY.

For my style Jacket, helmet and gloves are always a must for city ridding.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Full gear when heading for work. I keep a spare suit, shirt and pair of shoes at work. My 'commute', if you want to call it that, is a quick 80 mile dash which includes the B1257, though If I'm really late I can do a 100 mile dash on the motorway - never in a rush on the bike, being in a rush is different to speeding and being careful while you enjoy the ride :)

However if I do go on a short trip say into town then yes it's jeans and a pair of 'normal' boots, so I can at least walk around.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to wear my Hi-Tec hiking boots while riding and just keep them on at work (I work in a data center, so have no dress code to adhere to) but recently bought a set of "legit" riding boots (much better protection), so now keep a pair of regular shoes at work and change when I get there.