Windscreen Suggestion... General upgrade - comments welcome!

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello and good evening fellow riders,

For my long commute (35 miles one way) to work, I often felt like the wind was just too much for me.
I ride, currently, in a split protection configuration (separate padded Jacket/padded overpants), gloves, and helmet, with a backpack weighing ~10 pounds.
This year, riding season in Sunny South Florida isn't far away and I have ultimately decided that for the commute to work, I'd change out my stock windscreen for something that offers a little better wind protection.

I do like the design of the Puig Street Screens, but it kinda seems like the holes would produce more noise.

Does anyone have any Suggestions as to a better windscreen?
Or is this one just fine?

I'm not really after shaving every mile I can get out of the gas tank, after-all this bike already beats the hell outta my Ford Explorer's gas mileage even if I drove to work in 3rd gear, lol.

Upgrades

I'm pretty happy with the (almost) stock look my FZ6 has already... but, nothing wrong with a new exhaust right? Some awesome HID lamps up front, LED's all the way around...
Or maybe a couple small-medium size touring saddles on the back...
It's about time for a chain and sprocket replacement, I'd like to drop RPM's on 6th gear as well so perfect time to work on that.
Reason for the drop, 6th gear ~70MPH for +90% of my commute, bring that engine speed down, little calmer when driving down the highway...
Does anyone have any Suggestions as to good quality/fair priced parts for the aforementioned ideas?
Any parts/online stores that I Should Not buy? No warranties, horrible customer service, things like that.

I appreciate any feedback I get, thanks everyone and ride safe.
:thumbup:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the mra windscreen spoilers too. I know a few people on here have them and ive heard good things about it. Twisted throttle has them and i recently saw a forum member had a like new one for sale pretty recently.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I would second the MRA vario touring windscreen suggestion. I put one on my Fz6 and would say it cut the wind buffeting by about half. I got the screen of ebay for about 30% off. It was actually from Canada and I didn't have any problem importing to US.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The Puig Street Screen with the holes you linked to is for a naked bike not one with the stock fairing.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the mra windscreen spoilers too. I know a few people on here have them and ive heard good things about it. Twisted throttle has them and i recently saw a forum member had a like new one for sale pretty recently.

I would second the MRA vario touring windscreen suggestion. I put one on my Fz6 and would say it cut the wind buffeting by about half. I got the screen of ebay for about 30% off. It was actually from Canada and I didn't have any problem importing to US.

Thanks tejkowskit and Ssky0078, I will check those out here real soon!

The Puig Street Screen with the holes you linked to is for a naked bike not one with the stock fairing.

iSteve, thanks for the steer in the right direction. I'm glad I posted this no matter what, I'd hate to get the wrong part that wouldn't fit my bike...

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Upgrades

I'm pretty happy with the (almost) stock look my FZ6 has already... but, nothing wrong with a new exhaust right? Some awesome HID lamps up front, LED's all the way around...
It's about time for a chain and sprocket replacement, I'd like to drop RPM's on 6th gear as well so perfect time to work on that.
Reason for the drop, 6th gear ~70MPH for +90% of my commute, bring that engine speed down, little calmer when driving down the highway...
Does anyone have any Suggestions as to good quality/fair priced parts for the aforementioned ideas?
Any parts/online stores that I Should Not buy? No warranties, horrible customer service, things like that.

Are there any suggestions as far as good exhaust? I've never owned an EFI bike, would I have to take the bike somewhere to adjust fuel delivery? Can I do it myself?

HID Lamps I should stay away from? Suggested HID's?

LED turn signals to complement the F/E out back?

Hard/Soft Touring Bags that are easily removable?

What about Chain and Sprocket? I'm very good with cagers, I do all my own work, except for alignments or something that would cost me a buttload of money anyhow to do myself, lol. Is this something a reasonably skilled person could do over the weekend? I'm sure there are write ups, but should I let my motorcycle shop replace these items instead?

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, But besides my $25K Dodge, this is the most expensive machine I've ever owned, and my life is at stake here, not like I got A-pillars or anything if I roll over. I'm sure I'd feel much more comfortable watching a pro replace this on my bike as I assist, that way I'm hands on without forgetting the tiny 5mm bolt that holds the entire bike together, lol.

Anyway, that's enough outta me, please leave me some suggestions to the above questions if possible.

Thanks Everyone.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site

I dropped to a 45T rear, it's not a big change, but it's a change. The speedo is pretty close to accurate, and it brings RPMs down a little without killing low-end. I've honestly never had a complaint about cruising revs anyway. :confused: Once you get over the "this thing cruises at the same RPMs my car blows up at!" thing, it's not bad. :D

I've got LED bulbs in everything on the bike from superbrightLEDs.com. Been using their bulbs for years with very few complaints, much better quality and quality control than typical ebay sellers or ricer places. They sell a motorcycle electronic flasher for ~$9 that plugs in and does away with load resistors. Or, get an LED taillight and turn signal assemblies.

As for not buying, Powersport Superstore. I learned my lesson and got lucky on my 1st order, they took like 2-3 weeks just to ship. Luckily I got everything and it was all correct, their customer service is rumored to be worse than things I don't think I can mention on this forum.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped to a 45T rear, it's not a big change, but it's a change. The speedo is pretty close to accurate, and it brings RPMs down a little without killing low-end. I've honestly never had a complaint about cruising revs anyway. :confused: Once you get over the "this thing cruises at the same RPMs my car blows up at!" thing, it's not bad. :D
Yeah that's kinda what I have a problem with, lol. 70MPH @ 7000RPM is a little unsettling, and I figured if i did bring it down just a bit, it couldn't hurt fuel milage anyway. Matter of fact, I couldn't imagine 45T really making that big of an MPG impact.

Did you do the sprocket swap yourself? Any difficulties?
I would assume the axle shaft is a bear to get out...

I've got LED bulbs in everything on the bike from superbrightLEDs.com. Been using their bulbs for years with very few complaints, much better quality and quality control than typical ebay sellers or ricer places. They sell a motorcycle electronic flasher for ~$9 that plugs in and does away with load resistors. Or, get an LED taillight and turn signal assemblies.
Good, I'll check them out!

As for not buying, Powersport Superstore. I learned my lesson and got lucky on my 1st order, they took like 2-3 weeks just to ship. Luckily I got everything and it was all correct, their customer service is rumored to be worse than things I don't think I can mention on this forum.
Careful, don't get yourself in trouble now... point taken. :D

I use a Madstad screen. The 18" one will do. They are a little pricy, but it simply is a great screen. My ride is smooth at 90 mph.

Home - Madstad Engineering
18" screen seems a little too much for my tastes. Doesn't seem to fit the bike, but if I was strictly touring, that would probably be my screen of choice!
Thanks!:thumbup: