Help me pick some boots

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone mentioned Red Wing boots and how good they are. For years I wore cheap work shoes and when I finally got a pair of Red Wings I was amazed at how good they were and I never looked back!

But.... Keep in mind that the heel on the bottom of a work boot can hang up if your foot is being driven forward from an impact or when you have to get a foot down quickly off the peg. Cruisers are different and have a platform for your feet. For this reason you will notice the heal on boots designed for motorcycles (non cruiser) have a low profile taper at the heal.

I have a friend that didn't have a well designed boot and broke his leg on impact. He sheared the peg off, breaking the casting which then cut his ankle as it passed the casting on impact.

I used to ride to work and live at a CAD/CAM station all day. I love my Thor 50/50 boots! (mentioned previously)They breath and are not water proof but comfy. Still have them!

2010-Thor-Motocross-50-50-Boots.jpg

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
DXH24

I am a pretty frugal guy. I don't like to overspend on things which in my opinion are just not worth it... ie. brand/logos etc.

That being said I never cheap out on the gear I wear.

Ask yourself a simple question, what's the opportunity cost of your legs being injured?

- financial loss due to the days lost at work
- medical payments from injury

Those are just best case scenarios. What if something worse happens and completely fraks up your feet?

Is the extra $100 that you save is going to be worth all the possible trouble if you do fall down?

I am not telling you to go out and buy yourself a pair of motorcycle boots for $500. All I am saying is get quality, PROVEN gear.

That being said I recommend these.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP548VFy92k]TCX S-Zero Boots Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube[/ame]

You can't go wrong with these at only $219. But look around,maybe you can even find boots with more protection at this price point. I have to be honest. i got these at a huge discount. They cost me $120. I should have gotten the waterproof version but i don't ride in rain so I like more breath-ability.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys! Those 50/50's look pretty nifty too.

My main issue is can you wear any of these full length boots comfortably under jeans and be on your feet for hours on end? I just know my Sidi's are great for riding, but sub par to stand on for a few hours. I'd keep my shoes at "Work" if college had lockers to keep them in, but they don't.

Again thanks for the input folks, much appreciated!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Sandals in your backpack work too. But a good riding boot that will actually protect you, won't allow your ankle to bend much. You can move your toes up and down enough to shift, but that's it. They also have a steel plate down most of the bottom, so they aren't exactly nice to walk in.

Riding shoes will fit in a backpack fairly well, and good ones still lock your ankle down a good bit. I have worn my dynos all day, but it's not my first choice, and it wasn't walking/standing all day.

Ask around at the gym though. I know my college gym rented lockers for cheap. Nice to not have to lug around all your gear all day. Although, if it's a really large campus that can be a PITA.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I know they're over your range but I'm in love my Dianeses.
Dainese SSC Bravo D-WP Shoe - RevZilla
Incredibly comfortable and looks like an Italian street shoe under my Kevlar jeans.

I originally bought these. TCX X-Street Waterproof Shoes - RevZilla They are comfortable with decent protection and look nothing like a riding boot (a good thing IMHO). These are the closest to your budget. My main issue was they make me a little taller than I like. I'm already 6'4.

Might pick these up next for casual riding. Dainese Technical Sneaker - RevZilla
Best looking riding shoe currently available IMHO

...Except for maybe the Vitesse Vulcan ;)
Boots | Vitesse moto

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for a good pair of sport touring boots. I enjoyed reading these recommendations.

Anyone know of a place that has a decent selection of boots and/or pants in Minneapolis area?

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, can't thank you enough for all the replies! Decided to try a pair of MX shortys... Couldn't find any Thor 50/50s (think they stopped making them:( ) so I ordered a pair of Fox Racing Comp 5's... Definitely what I was looking for- full heel/ankle support and brace...

Will post a report when they get here!

Thanks again folks, didn't even know shorty MX boots existed, never would have come across these if not for you guys.