Help me pick some boots

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
It's buying season again for me :spank: Motorcycle boots are next in order... There's literally no (that I know of) places that carry a wide enough selection of boots to justify driving an hour to go try some on so i'll be buying online...

Budget- $125

Needs- Well, for $125 beggars can't be choosers but I'd like something that's not going to fall apart after 1 season... Prefer 3/4 length or a riding shoe, as I'll be using them as commuter shoes/boots. And obviously, they need to offer protection, as opposed to Branded sneakers...Oh and Comfort for standing for hours on end would be good too :thumbup:

Stuff i've looked at (but not limited to):
Vega Merge
Vega Merge Boots - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
2009_Vega_Merge_Boot_Black.jpg

I understand Vega usually is lower quality gear, but i've been using since a kid and i'm not opposed to it, and being the cheapest option, and having good reviews, it looks like it comes with a good bit of kit.

Joe Rocket Velocity
Joe Rocket Velocity Shoes - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
2010-Joe-Rocket-Velocity-Shoes-Black-Black-Black.jpg

Never tried any Joe Rocket gear, but I've heard good stuff about it for the price point.

Sidi NY Riding Shoes
Sidi New York Riding Shoes - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
2013-Sidi-New-York-Riding-Shoes-Black.jpg

Love Sidi's-the fit my feet, but I feel a little skeptical about these... Look like branded sneakers TBH

Also looked at some Tourmaster Response WP 2.0 boots
Tour Master Response WP 2.0 Road Boots - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
2011-Tour-Master-Response-WP-2-0-Road-Boots-Black.jpg

Look a little bulky but looks like they'd last.

Anyways I'm VERY open to suggestions and concerns/observations about stuff i've looked at...

Recommendations are also very welcome :thumbup:

(oh and P.S. If anybody has a motorcycle superstore coupon they don't plan on using, that they'd be cool with sharing toss me a PM ;) )

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
All of those suck, probably no better than a pair of Tim's. Get a real full length boot, they still fit under jeans without issue.

JKJ-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride in the same Red Wing work boots I wear all day long. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had and as far as I can tell they're good for riding, too. One boot has a scuffed-up eyelet to prove that they offer pretty good protection in a slow-speed fall.

In my opinion, an important factor that's often neglected in reviews of motorcycle boots is the soles/traction. I'm sure I would have fallen sometimes when stopping on wet or sandy streets if I were wearing some of the boots with hard, smooth soles.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
All of those suck, probably no better than a pair of Tim's. Get a real full length boot, they still fit under jeans without issue.

Find me a pair of full length boots under 125 that fit comfortably all day and I'll consider it ;)

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Find me a pair of full length boots under 125 that fit comfortably all day and I'll consider it ;)

These get good reviews on revzilla. On sale for $117 right now. They look comfortable enough, plus they're water proof. Tour Master Solution 2.0.

Solution2Pair_detail.jpg

I personally have TCX X-Five Gore Tex boots. Awesome. Very comfy, water proof, breathable, good amount of protection. They do cost over 200 bucks though. It's all good to me... I would enjoy having feet if I ever crashed!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site

I picked up my current Oxtar's (now TCX) for around $100, but it's been a few years.

There are many options available, you just have to keep an eye out. One thing I would strongly recommend is to try some boots on before you buy. For whatever reason most motorcycle boots are sized too big (I'm a 9.5 shoe size, wearing 8 boots) It's a pretty personal thing too, what works for someone else might not work for you

Either way, here's an ebay search to get you started

-youth -womens -women -shoes -shoe -harley -mx -motocross -offroad -ladies -vega -icon in Boots | eBay

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to echo regder here and say most of those will be no different than wearing work boots. My first pair of boots were Vega Matrix and they sucked - had no protection and wore out really fast. I've read that their full length race boot is decent and IIRC it's around $120 so maybe check that out. Rocket makes good boots if you like the style - I think they are all the same lower at this point - I've had their Superstreet boot for almost 3 years and they've held up really well.

MPLS_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
The icon field armor boots are built like a tank and offer the most protection you're gonna find in your price range. They are comfortable for all day riding too.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Dainese Dyno shoes. A bit over your budget tho. I don't imagine any riding boot would be comfortable to walk in. The stiff sole is part of what helps you feel planted on the bike but means the bottom won't flex. Work boots you can tie on will offer the same protection as what you're looking at for about the same price and will be more comfortable.

I'd stay away from slip on boots. I just worry they won't stay on in a crash. Honestly, I think your best bet is to leave your work boots/shoes at work, and commute in your riding shoes. It's what I did in the military.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
The icon field armor boots are built like a tank and offer the most protection you're gonna find in your price range. They are comfortable for all day riding too.

I have a pair of these as well. Very solid, good protection, and very comfy. I can wear them all day on and off the bike. Not a full length boot, but it's my 'around town' boot, when I don't want to wear the full length TCX boots.

Running Dainese Torque Out. Fit is great and they offer great support of the ankle with an actual pivot at the joint. Very happy!

This may be a little above his $125 price limit... :BLAA:

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Vega boots you posted a pic of and have had no problem with them. They are comfortable and have held up well

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Running Dainese Torque Out. Fit is great and they offer great support of the ankle with an actual pivot at the joint. Very happy!

40604d1330704020-recent-purchase-thread-_ssc4950.jpg

DAINESE - Torque Out Motorcycle Boots - Waterproof - Motorcycle Boots - Street - Outlet - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

Yeah little out of my price range, although that looks like a great boot, not atrocious to look at, looks like good protection, and even waterproof... If my current shoes weren't literally falling apart i'd save up for those :D

Sco

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wanting the Kili Lo from first gear. Everyone is out of stock.
They also have a hi if you want more protection. summer/winter etc.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of these as well. Very solid, good protection, and very comfy. I can wear them all day on and off the bike. Not a full length boot, but it's my 'around town' boot, when I don't want to wear the full length TCX boots.

How would you say the ankle support and protection compares to the Field Armor boots? BTW I have the high ones, not the "chukka" version. They are a bit higher than my Timberlands but definitely don't cover the shin fully. I can literally slam my ankle into a brick wall and not feel a thing. The TCX boots are definitely higher, but don't seem to offer the ankle protection. Compared to Tims, the Field Armor boots feel a LOT more protective.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of those shoes seem like the only real "motorcycle-related" features are a pad for the shifter, and a velcro strap to keep the laces from getting caught on the footpegs.

Get a real pair of riding boots with good protection. You're in upstate NY, you've got at least another month or so to collect beer cans or whatever and save up a few more $ before any good riding weather comes.

My Oxtar TCS EVO boots were regularly $275, got them on sale for $225. That was ~5 years ago and they're still in good shape - that works out to $45 a year so far. If you spend a couple hundred dollars on a pair of good boots, and they can help prevent a several thousand dollar ambulance trip or ankle surgery, or prevent you from being laid up and not able to work for a few weeks, it sounds like a good investment.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to leave your work boots/shoes at work

Leave a pair of shoes at work and change into them when you get there - you'll be more comfortable at work, more protected while riding, and it will also help your riding boots last longer by not wearing them all day.

Side note - it always amazes me how people can afford motorcycles costing thousands of dollars, but cant afford to spend a couple hundred dollars on proper riding gear.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Every time I stepped up and fitted myself with better quality gear I found I was ultimately less distracted and paying more attention to my surroundings and riding.

The Torque Out boots gave me piece of mind. Well worth saving for! Also Cycle Gear throws them on sale every now and again. Way better than a shoe cause and will pay for itself by protecting you!