Boots n Shoes when you commute

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
what does everyone wear when they commute? I was looking at something like the astar Joey WP shoe for a little more casual look Alpinestars Joey All Weather Casual Shoe | Alpinestars or maybe even the non water proof one.

However Im not sure if I should just go with more protection especially If i am likely to wear another shoe at work.

I am thinking the one I linked above would be a good one to wear as a min protection. Better than my vans I have on most days. Then get a better boot for my longer trips.....but then a little voice says hey dumb ass if you are going to wear gear might as well wear the best protection....ATGATT. lets not even bring up pants right now :BLAA:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Same thoughts as you about wearing anything other than street shoes. My commute is pretty short (good if I'm driving a my truck...****ty if I'm on my bike or bicycle). I have a pair of alpinestar boots and HD engineer style boots...either one as long as I have some protection.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to swap out shoes once I got to work, but then I had to do that every time I went to lunch or even to a meeting across base; I finally went with somewhat dressy boots (BMW AirFlows in the summer, Oxo's in the winter) and just leave them on (Air Force regs require boots that at least cover the ankle if you're riding on base).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wear my motorcyle boots 12 hours a day. Just fortunate that I have a job that allows me to wear about any type of shoes.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
However Im not sure if I should just go with more protection especially If i am likely to wear another shoe at work.

Yes. Heaven forbid that if you do crash, you'll never wish you had less protective gear on.

I wear my race boots and keep a change of shoes at my desk.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten more squidly as time has gone on commuting on the bike. I looked for nice A* or similar riding boot/shoes but could not find anything in my size, 14.

I've went from at least wearing leather slip on Rockport dress shoes to just some New Balance Xfit style shoe. I typically stay off the freeway when doing this. The problem for me is that I don't go to the same location every day and can't leave normal shoes there.

I tell myself that with my career I can live with out a foot or a leg and still make an ok living so it's an acceptable risk. Especially after watching enough Youtube videos of guys going down in full riding boots and still breaking leg bones. Maybe a little messed up but I consider it normal risk assessment and management.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually only boot up when I am on a longer trip :spank:
but my commute to work is less than 2 miles and half of it is thru a school zone....so dont hate :Flip:

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten more squidly as time has gone on commuting on the bike. I looked for nice A* or similar riding boot/shoes but could not find anything in my size, 14.

I've went from at least wearing leather slip on Rockport dress shoes to just some New Balance Xfit style shoe. I typically stay off the freeway when doing this. The problem for me is that I don't go to the same location every day and can't leave normal shoes there.

I tell myself that with my career I can live with out a foot or a leg and still make an ok living so it's an acceptable risk. Especially after watching enough Youtube videos of guys going down in full riding boots and still breaking leg bones. Maybe a little messed up but I consider it normal risk assessment and management.

I know what you mean. The practical challenges of commuting make me leave out some piece of gear. Lately it seems like its either my overpants or my boots--I usually end up wearing one and not the other. I'm trying to work out a better routine, where I wear gym clothes under full gear, pack a small gym bag, and go to the gym/shower at work first thing in the morning so that it doesn't matter I'm sweating my butt off in traffic :D we'll see if it works out!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
normally a waterproof paid of biking boots, I keep a regular pair of shoes at work that I change into

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i tend to gear up , pants boots gloves helmet jacket everytime i go out of the drive
'cept for push starts in the street and ill go sans gloves and lid till a bike is running then on goes the gear
i just remember that stat that say the majority of mishaps occur within acouple of k's from home
oh and im allergic to pain especilly the avoidable kind

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Boots, and I change into my dress shoes at work. I actually leave a black and brown pair at my office.

If you've ever ground down an ankle bone you'll wear proper footwear on a bike.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO it don't mater if your trip is 2 miles or 200 you need boot's with ankle support. I see so many ankles up here in Seattle it drives me nuts. Google motorcycle foot injuries and you will see how wearing shoes is an easy way to bust yo $&!# up good! Get a solid calf high boot you won't regret it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Boots, and I change into my dress shoes at work. I actually leave a black and brown pair at my office.

If you've ever ground down an ankle bone you'll wear proper footwear on a bike.

Nice thread resurrection, but what the heck!

A big +1 (my shoes live at work too).

Wise ones learn from their mistakes. Wiser ones learn from other's mistakes.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i have 3 pairs of shoes at work, spare jocks, socks and if i really need it a tee shirt in basic black i can get away with if my work shirt gets stuffed in some way in the ride to work....( usually bucket loads of rain I think will be falling after my commute... im starting to get a bit savvy and check the bureau before i leave for work)
a variety of. jackets sleeveless vests and the odd jumper (pullover) squeeze into my locker
oh and a towel just in case i need to shower

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having a brutal time deciding what footwear will be best.
I live less than 2km away from work, it's literally 3 blocks away, and would like to ride to work.

Im looking at the A* fastlane shoe and the A* net air boot.. I like the style and comfort/convenience of the fastlane, but the net air obviously offers more protection.. The net air is also 55 bucks more..

Not sure what to do....

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having a brutal time deciding what footwear will be best.
I live less than 2km away from work, it's literally 3 blocks away, and would like to ride to work.

Im looking at the A* fastlane shoe and the A* net air boot.. I like the style and comfort/convenience of the fastlane, but the net air obviously offers more protection.. The net air is also 55 bucks more..

Not sure what to do....

Do you plan on wearing them all day at work? Or do you plan on changing once you get there? Regardless, if you're spending >$120 on motorcycle footwear, I'd put that cash towards a good boot with real protection.

Best option would be leave a pair of shoes at your work to change into anyways, and they'd probably be more comfortable than wearing motorcycle-specific footwear allday. Plus, if you're wearing motorcycle-specific footwear all day at work, that's extra wear and tear on them, which will reduce their rideable life cycle.

At 2km to work, you could also wear bicycle shoes :Flip:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you plan on wearing them all day at work? Or do you plan on changing once you get there? Regardless, if you're spending >$120 on motorcycle footwear, I'd put that cash towards a good boot with real protection.

Best option would be leave a pair of shoes at your work to change into anyways, and they'd probably be more comfortable than wearing motorcycle-specific footwear allday. Plus, if you're wearing motorcycle-specific footwear all day at work, that's extra wear and tear on them, which will reduce their rideable life cycle.

At 2km to work, you could also wear bicycle shoes :Flip:

Ya, I suppose I should be buying footwear for the longer rides, not necessarily the 2km ride. I plan on doing a lot of weekend joyriding so perhaps I should be tailoring my choices to that style, and just wearing my normal shoes to work.. I mean, I go through 4 stop lights, in 2km, I barely hit 50 kmh when I drive my car..