Bi-Xenon Projector: Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit Install (And my new mirrors)

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
I am really considering taking this mod on. I just made BD43's headlight mod wire. What kind of problems are you running into? I'm not a mechanical expert, nor an electrical expert for that matter, but thought the OP was fairly straight forward.
Well, it's easy. If I had just done the projectors, and re-installed it was a piece of cake. Especially the electrical, I'm extremely experienced with 12v electronics anyways, but it was completely plug and play with the TRS kit.

My main problems were with things that the OP did not do, haha. The shrouds, the halos, the LED strips.

First there was not instructions about the halos, there is a channel inside the shroud, so I logically thought that the CCFL halos installed inside the shroud and then fit over the projector. So, that is what I tried... as I installed them I broke both of them So $25 down the drain there. :rolleyes:

The I installed the LED strips, and it has 3M adhesive on it... but as I went to bake the lenses to re-adhere them I took the lenses out they had started to peal up. So I spent two more times baking and pulling my lenses out trying to get them to stay in place. I don't understand, because the surface was cleaned extremely well. So those were just being a POS too.

The the shrouds, as stated were too big. So I trimmed them down considerably, may too much, I dunno they look alright. I was considering getting different shrouds to match better but really don't want to take it all apart again.

So after baking/taking apart my lenses 3 times, I just decide to reinstall them. So the straight up plain installed of just the projectors, ballasts, bulbs, wiring was straight forward and easy. It's the other junk that caused me a little headache.

:rockon:
Yeah, man, or send me a PM. I can take pics of things or try and explain things differently if you need me to.
I got it this past weekend. Thanks.

Nice cutoff:

IMG_20110604_211334.jpg

Pics:

IMG_20110607_073714.jpg

IMG_20110607_073639.jpg

Nicely/Easily fit underneath the cowl:

IMG_20110607_073704.jpg

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's easy. If I had just done the projectors, and re-installed it was a piece of cake. Especially the electrical, I'm extremely experienced with 12v electronics anyways, but it was completely plug and play with the TRS kit.

My main problems were with things that the OP did not do, haha. The shrouds, the halos, the LED strips.

First there was not instructions about the halos, there is a channel inside the shroud, so I logically thought that the CCFL halos installed inside the shroud and then fit over the projector. So, that is what I tried... as I installed them I broke both of them So $25 down the drain there. :rolleyes:

The I installed the LED strips, and it has 3M adhesive on it... but as I went to bake the lenses to re-adhere them I took the lenses out they had started to peal up. So I spent two more times baking and pulling my lenses out trying to get them to stay in place. I don't understand, because the surface was cleaned extremely well. So those were just being a POS too.

The the shrouds, as stated were too big. So I trimmed them down considerably, may too much, I dunno they look alright. I was considering getting different shrouds to match better but really don't want to take it all apart again.

So after baking/taking apart my lenses 3 times, I just decide to reinstall them. So the straight up plain installed of just the projectors, ballasts, bulbs, wiring was straight forward and easy. It's the other junk that caused me a little headache.

Gotcha. Bummer about the halos. I'll be putting an order into Retro this weekend (sans halo). The bike looks great btw. Definitely worth all the PITA work!

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed you removed your integrated mirrors, couldn't get them set right or something? I was literally seconds away from clicking purchase until I saw you had said they weren't holding up at legal speeds.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
So i ordered my kit this last weekend, but I ordered it based on the recomendation in this forum
HTML:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/40376-dual-h4-hids-vs-h4-h7-i-can-use-some-input.html
with the h7 harness instead of the h4. Should I just call TRS to get the h4 harness or will the h7 work?

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I am finally installing the kit. As I am trying to hook up the bulb sockets to the ballast, I noticed that the spades are to close together. Should I contact TRS or should I just remove the spades, waterproof the wires and plug it in? I will add a picture later.

Last edited:

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
great thread - thanks for the level of detail!

ok, so I have my kit and my bike sitting there looking at me and I have two main concerns: wiring (like everybody apparently, thank god) and shrouds.

basically I just don't know enough about the bloody shroud things - I mean obviously they are non-essential, but how bad does it look without them?
and more to the point (since I got ccfl as well) how much did you trim them to get them to install? And do I have any options aside from going out and getting a dremel just for this?

thanks.

will let you know how I get along. :)

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
great thread - thanks for the level of detail!

ok, so I have my kit and my bike sitting there looking at me and I have two main concerns: wiring (like everybody apparently, thank god) and shrouds.

basically I just don't know enough about the bloody shroud things - I mean obviously they are non-essential, but how bad does it look without them?
and more to the point (since I got ccfl as well) how much did you trim them to get them to install? And do I have any options aside from going out and getting a dremel just for this?

thanks.

will let you know how I get along. :)

The shroud just needs a little bit taken off. I think on the left one it was something like 1/8 inch by 1 inch and on the right one was like 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch. I didn't keep pictures of progress while I was doing it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am exceedingly disappointed that i decided not to paint the inside of my headlight housing when i did mine, that looks drop dead sexy!

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so a couple of questions:

a. what did you do with the 4 hole rubber gasket around the bulb wires? Cut it? It seems to just be pretty useless because the back of the bulb extends beyond the rubber backing of the housing.

b. how did you waterproof your assembly (now that the rear rubber backing isn't entirely closed)?

c. does someone have a picture of the back of their headlights with bulbs installed? trying and failing at figuring out how the four little orange rubber things fit in the assembly...

thanks. oh and pictures are forthcoming if the success continues. :)

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I stretched out the rubber cover and then used the 4 hole gasket as like a plug for the cover.
The orange covers go little end towards the end and is used to waterproof the hi-beam plugs.

ALIEN

Reaction score
Visit site
Go here:
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Select the following options:
Adaptor plate: H4 (and put a note you'll need H7 as well in checkout)
Ballasts: Either, but I have the 35w ones
Bulbs: Whatever color you want. 4200k is a normal headlight color, and 5000k is pure white. Anything higher will look blue to purple. The XB35's are the really high pressure ones used in the luxury vehicles. There is a benifit to brightness and the intensity of the flicker zone, but I didn't feel they were worth the extra $30. But that's up to you.
Angel eyes: Up to you. They'll auto select the ones that fit the shroud you pick. Any color you want, as long as you wanted white.
Projectors: This is for the cut and which side is the lower side, for oncoming traffic. If you drive on the right side of the road, pick LHD. If you drive on the wrong, err, left side, pick RHD.
Shroud: I got the graphite, but get whatever you want. Keep in mind you'll have to either cut the reflector or the shroud to get even the mini's to fit.
Wire Harness: H4/9003

And I've thought about some LED trim. I might do it. the retrofit source stocks side emitting LEDs, which are really what you'd need. Instead of emitting perpendiclar to the tape, they emit parallel to it, that's all it means. So you can stick them on the inside of the lens cover with no fuss. Get black heat shrink too, for your wires. :D You could even wire them up like I did my mirror. Running/blinker Audi lights! Woot!

Hi,

I sent them a message. And I told them what motorcycle I have and the answer was

The adapter and wiring harness you need is H7.

The Mini H1 with H7 adapter will be bolt on into our housings. You need to be using a wiring harness that corresponds with your low-beam bulb type

:don'tknow:

ALIEN

Reaction score
Visit site
Alien did you have a question in there?

Yes

DownrangeFuture said on his post what we must choose on the order form on adaptor plate H4 and H7 with an note on checkout and wire harness H4 .
And theretrofitsource in my question what to choose on the order form said me only for H7 on adapter and wire harness?

I am confused.....

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
@Zargof: What did you end up doing concerning the spades that didn't line up? I have the exact same issue.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes
DownrangeFuture said on his post what we must choose on the order form on adaptor plate H4 and H7 with an note on checkout and wire harness H4 .
And theretrofitsource in my question what to choose on the order form said me only for H7 on adapter and wire harness?
I am confused.....
You will want the H7 BiXenon Wiring Harness, which gives you High and low beam. You need the H4 and H7 bulb adapters in order to tighten the projectors to the headlight assembly.

What did you end up doing concerning the spades that didn't line up? I have the exact same issue.
I pulled the spades out by depressing the punchout and slowly pushing the spade out of their connector. I put liquid electrical tape around the wires and up to the locking punchout on the spade. I will try to post up pictures tonight.

ALIEN

Reaction score
Visit site
You will want the H7 BiXenon Wiring Harness, which gives you High and low beam. You need the H4 and H7 bulb adapters in order to tighten the projectors to the headlight assembly.

First of all thank you for helping .

If i understand well (because my English is a little bad)
On the order form i have to choose

Adaptor plate: H4 with a note for H7
Wire harness: H7 only

Is it right ?

I have a few questions more .....
Has anybody tried the XB35 bulbs? Worths the extra money (30 dollars) ?
Is it easy to install the angel eyes ?
I read here that we have to trim the shrouds to fit .This concerns mini graphite and mini gatling gun or only the first option ?
Because i saw on retrofit site that they have different dimensions......
Is the lighting performance similar as in those photos ?
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...non-hid-projector-retrofit-infinity-fx35.html
I know that FIZZER6 uses a bigger and better projector and bulb but if the result is similar it will be lovely :D

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the correct options on the form.

I got the mini gatling gun shroud and just had to trim a little off around the edge closest to the reflector lens on both shrouds.

I didn't get the angel eyes since the headlights will be always on, but is a personal choice.

ALIEN

Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the correct options on the form.

I got the mini gatling gun shroud and just had to trim a little off around the edge closest to the reflector lens on both shrouds.

I didn't get the angel eyes since the headlights will be always on, but is a personal choice.

Thanks again .

What bulbs did you take ? The XB35 or the simples ?