Bi-Xenon Projector: Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit Install (And my new mirrors)

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
This is still a work in progress but they're working and I took a few pics, so I thought I'd share what I learned. I'm not going to cover painting, aiming the lights, etc. because it's all covered in detail elsewhere. (Google is your friend)

First of all I bought these from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications, the price was good, the kit is all together and comes with everything you need, including a wiring harness, and shipping was free!

You'll need to get the H1 kit with the H4 adapter plate and the H4 relay. It should come with both the H4 and H7 adapters but you can always put a note saying what bike you have, and that you'll need both, and they'll put both in for free.

Remove the lights from your fairing, and take everything off of them you can. Preheat your oven to 265F and put them in for 7 minutes or until golden brown on each side. Be sure and put some wood down for the lights to sit on, don't worry, wood doesn't catch fire for 2-300 more degrees F.

Pull them out and put them on something soft, and use something flat (flathead screwdriver, putty knife, etc) to pry them apart. They should come apart quite easily. Don't clean the goop off and make sure it doesn't get on the lens.

If you want to paint your reflector, now is the time. I'm not going over how to paint (google!), but I used Krylon gloss black for plastic. Feel free to use a primer type if you want. Cure it in the oven even if you want. It doesn't hurt the paint any. Just stinks.

IMG_20110503_171637.jpg

I didn't bother taping, cause if I over-sprayed my black paint on the black plastic...

Then mount the projectors. Easy, seriously. Just unscrew the retaining clip, take the nut off, put the projector through the hole with the shaped rubber grommet on the inside, put the proper adapter plate on, screw the nut back on, then screw the retaining clip back on. Done. Repeat for the other side.

IMG_20110503_185320.jpg

Sorry for the quality, my camera sucks. But that's what it looks like mounted. I didn't take a picture of it, but the H4 side is a bit tall and the retaining clip doesn't quite touch the back of the projector. Cut it, or leave it alone. Either way it'll screw in tight enough, and I didn't notice any detriment to brightness on the right side.

The shrouds don't fit, so you can either cut the shrouds, which I plan to do, or vacuum form your own. That looks totally awesome, and I may give it a whirl if I'm feeling adventurous this weekend.

Now, before you put the lenses back on, get some rubbing alcohol and scrub the crud out of the projector lens and the inside of the stock lens. Make sure it all dries and doesn't leave any film. You won't have another chance to clean them later, unless you take it all apart again.

Fit the stock lens back on, and put it back in the oven at 265F for 7 minutes. When you pull it out, push the lenses back into place and make sure all the clips are latched. Now let it cool and put it back in the fairings.

On to wiring. :eek:

IMG_20110504_170149.jpg

It will all fit. Trust me. One wire goes to the battery. It has the fuse, and it just fits under the positive screw on your battery. Whew, that part was easy. Now there are two with the same ends, a short one and a long one. They go to the ballasts, and the little plug hanging off goes to the lamps, that little plug coming out the back. It's for the solenoid and it's how you go from dim to bright. The two wires off the ballasts go to the plugs on the back of the bulb. Make sure you clean the bulb like it says; if you touch the glass putting it in, clean it again!

The last plug is for the H4 side plug. You'll need to do BD34's headlight mod. http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1663-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-1-a.html and http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html. Sorry. I know it's a PITA, but it's really the only way. The relay needs the low to switch for it's logic.

I think you may have to swap some of the pins around, my highs and lows are backwards. I'm working with TRS to get that straightened out. I don't think yamaha wired the plugs right to begin with.

As you probably noticed, I found a novel way to mount the ballasts. They come with this nifty bracket, and if you bend it a bit, they fit right in.

IMG_20110504_170156.jpg

And yes, I have wires everywhere. I'm re-running some of it this weekend. I think half the mess is all the extra wire from doing BD34's dual headlight mod. I think I have 4 extra feet in there. :rolleyes:

Once they're in and it's all wired up, start the bike.

IMG_20110504_170056.jpg

Freaked you out when it took a few seconds to warm up, didn't it? :BLAA:

Here's them on low:
IMG_20110504_170439.jpg

And on high:
IMG_20110504_170455.jpg

The second picture is just in the "flicker zone". When people are in that zone, it looks like your projectors change color as you drive by to them. Awesome, huh? Any lower than this, and it washed out my camera!

And those are my new integrated mirrors too. I installed them at the same time. I hooked them up between the two colored wires on each side. Blue and Brown, and Blue and Green, I believe. The red wire from the mirrors plugs into the blue. In this set up, they work as running lights, and blinkers.

Basically, when the running lights are on, one side is hot, the other is grounded, so it flows and the LEDs turn on. When the turn signal blinks, both sides are hot, so no voltage flow through the LEDs and they turn off.

Nifty huh? Although, if you're just using the mirrors, that probably won't work.

YouTube - Integrated Mirrors

I'll post updates as I work out the shroud, and of my cleaned up wiring mess.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and all the ground wires will go on the ground spot for the instrument cluster. It's a solid ground. 1.2ohms to the negative battery terminal.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. Could you tell us where you got the integrated mirror?

Sure. I meant to put it in my first post, but I forgot.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Integrated-Motorcycle-Mirrors-Kawasaki/dp/B004PC5G08/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304557640&sr=8-2-fkmr0]Amazon.com: Universal Black Integrated Motorcycle Racing Mirrors for Street Sport Bikes Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ducati: Automotive[/ame]

There's other ones, but I kind of liked the look of these the best. Other than the weird placement of the wire. But it's not obnoxious, so I went with it. The carbon universals looked nice too.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: The mirrors won't stay put at speed. At legal speeds even. It's slow, takes a few minutes, so they don't need much more tension. I'm going to look through my spare parts for a solution, as the screws are as tight as I feel comfortable making them.

If I find a solution that's easy and cheap, that doesn't involve gluing, I'll post it up here with pics. That's kind of my last ditch deal, glue it, then paint over the gorilla glue that seeps out.

Also, riding at night is awesome, just don't forget to aim your lights. :spank: Mine are way too high. Poor bastards in front of me. :D I think most of them thought I was cop or something, they all pulled over real fast.

bitty7292

Bitty7292
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you go through exactly everything you ordered for the kit ? That looks like a pretty sweet mod - and if you added the Audi lights it would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the post:BLAA:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Go here:
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Select the following options:
Adaptor plate: H4 (and put a note you'll need H7 as well in checkout)
Ballasts: Either, but I have the 35w ones
Bulbs: Whatever color you want. 4200k is a normal headlight color, and 5000k is pure white. Anything higher will look blue to purple. The XB35's are the really high pressure ones used in the luxury vehicles. There is a benifit to brightness and the intensity of the flicker zone, but I didn't feel they were worth the extra $30. But that's up to you.
Angel eyes: Up to you. They'll auto select the ones that fit the shroud you pick. Any color you want, as long as you wanted white.
Projectors: This is for the cut and which side is the lower side, for oncoming traffic. If you drive on the right side of the road, pick LHD. If you drive on the wrong, err, left side, pick RHD.
Shroud: I got the graphite, but get whatever you want. Keep in mind you'll have to either cut the reflector or the shroud to get even the mini's to fit.
Wire Harness: H4/9003

And I've thought about some LED trim. I might do it. the retrofit source stocks side emitting LEDs, which are really what you'd need. Instead of emitting perpendiclar to the tape, they emit parallel to it, that's all it means. So you can stick them on the inside of the lens cover with no fuss. Get black heat shrink too, for your wires. :D You could even wire them up like I did my mirror. Running/blinker Audi lights! Woot!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love it! I'd definitely jump on this mod if I hadn't converted mine to streetfighter. Mirrors look badass too.. hope you figure out a way to secure them well.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Oh, and all the ground wires will go on the ground spot for the instrument cluster. It's a solid ground. 1.2ohms to the negative battery terminal.

Looks great and thanks for the write up. I like what I read about the Morimoto kit and may have tried it, but didn't want to modify the reflector assembly in case I decided to put it back to stock someday if I sell the bike.

I'm still surprised at the ground situation when I did the HID mod. I drilled a hole in the steel framework that holds the fairing/cluster and put a bolt in there to mount all of the ground terminals that I had. To my horror, the stinking thing wasn't grounded and I had to add a ground wire from my new bolt down to the main frame which was grounded....

It's so awesome at night with the great HID lighting now. Heck, even in the daytime, when I flick my high beams on-off, I see a change on the reflecting road signs ahead of me. :rockon:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great and thanks for the write up. I like what I read about the Morimoto kit and may have tried it, but didn't want to modify the reflector assembly in case I decided to put it back to stock someday if I sell the bike.

The morimoto kit doesn't require any modification to the headlight assembly. That's why I used it. Ungluing and regluing the lenses shouldn't even leave a mark if you do it right. I was impatient and couldnt find my putty knife so a marred it up a bit. But I'm keeping this one till the wheels fall off, so I wasn't too worried about it. Just worried about the visible stuff.

But I'm not going back to stock either, so I painted the reflectors black.

Don't know why your faring stay wasn't grounded. I checked mine and got a short basically. I also forgot to plug the ground wires up :spank: and the lights didn't turn on. Checked that screw, put them there, and they fired right up. Talk about freaking you out though. I really did freak when they didn't turn on the first time, then the next time, they flashed really bright and went dim, I thought I blew my $50 bulbs.

On another note, I also worked out with the retrofit source that on the H4 plug, if you're looking at the bulb side (or the back of the plug), and have the middle plug up top it's like this from left to right: common, low, high. Low and high are grounded when it's in that mode. So I'm going to try swapping low and high and see what happens. Will update with results.

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Worked with TRS and we figured out the pin swap. You'll need to swap the black/yellow wire and the wire for BD34's mod. They walked me how to remove the stock pin without breaking it. Look on the back of the plug. See how it makes a rectangle except for one little cutout? Jam a small flathead in there. Really hard. It'll sound like it's breaking, but it's not. Once the screwdriver comes out the other side, pull it and the pin out. Push the little tab in the middle of the flag out to the outside, and push it back in the new slot.

I also figured out on the mirrors that if you back the screws all the way out, and then reseat them, the mirrors get plenty tight. And/or you can put a flat rubber washer in there and that helps. Just be careful with the big screw, for some reason they used some kind of plastic nut on the bottom.

I'm putting my shroud in this afternoon, cleaning up my wires, and repainting my reflectors. Anybody wants pics of something let me know. I'm probably installing my lowering springs I bought from 5spoke this weekend too. And I'm building a birdhouse with my daughter. :D Fun times!

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
Worked with TRS and we figured out the pin swap. You'll need to swap the black/yellow wire and the wire for BD34's mod. They walked me how to remove the stock pin without breaking it. Look on the back of the plug. See how it makes a rectangle except for one little cutout? Jam a small flathead in there. Really hard. It'll sound like it's breaking, but it's not. Once the screwdriver comes out the other side, pull it and the pin out. Push the little tab in the middle of the flag out to the outside, and push it back in the new slot.

I also figured out on the mirrors that if you back the screws all the way out, and then reseat them, the mirrors get plenty tight. And/or you can put a flat rubber washer in there and that helps. Just be careful with the big screw, for some reason they used some kind of plastic nut on the bottom.

I'm putting my shroud in this afternoon, cleaning up my wires, and repainting my reflectors. Anybody wants pics of something let me know. I'm probably installing my lowering springs I bought from 5spoke this weekend too. And I'm building a birdhouse with my daughter. :D Fun times!

Awesome job man! It looks really good. So I assume the springs got to you? Sweet, let me know about the kickstand once you swap the springs.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
Any update?

I just ordered my kit from TRS today, same kit with 5k bulbs. I also added the Angel Eye LED's, and picked up a pair of the LED strips too!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Any update?

I just ordered my kit from TRS today, same kit with 5k bulbs. I also added the Angel Eye LED's, and picked up a pair of the LED strips too!

What info did you need? I never got around to putting the shroud in it because I elected to spend most of my weekends with the kids instead of elbow deep in my bike. :thumbup: But you should just need to make a few small cuts on the shroud and use some sort of epoxy type glue to handle the heat. Remember, you can always cut more off, but you can't really add any back in.

As far as the angel eye, I didn't install one so I can't comment there. LED should be straight forward. Wire it to a switched power source so it turns off with the bike.

If you wanted to vacuum form a custom shroud, this vid kind of covers it starting at about 8:17

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExaAFgvquE]YouTube - (2) How to build HID projector headlights[/ame]

All four of those are a good watch actually. Anyway, just let me know what you wanted info on.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
That's cool, I just wondered if you had an end product with the shrouds...

I'm sure I'll figure it out, thanks for the input!

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
drool-worthy mod. The blacked out shrouds look damn good.

Yeah, I really like the flat black panels around the headlights too! I'll also chime in to agree with how junky those mirrors are, they are cheap plastic junk. I bought some and immediately returned them!!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I really like the flat black panels around the headlights too! I'll also chime in to agree with how junky those mirrors are, they are cheap plastic junk. I bought some and immediately returned them!!

Thanks. I did finally get them tight enough. I had to use glue though, and with no give in the mirrors, one broke the first time someone banged into it. Back on the stock ones now.

That's cool, I just wondered if you had an end product with the shrouds...

I'm sure I'll figure it out, thanks for the input!

I am going to do one of the shrouds at some point, but I need a dremel, so I have money issues either way. Someone got lesdysic with a routing number... :rolleyes:

Anyway, when I ever get around to it, I'll post on the forum about it.

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
This **** is a god damn nightmare...

Fyi...

I am really considering taking this mod on. I just made BD43's headlight mod wire. What kind of problems are you running into? I'm not a mechanical expert, nor an electrical expert for that matter, but thought the OP was fairly straight forward.