Bar End Issue

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been reading about the throttle tamer and want to install as the throttle snatch on my 05' is really a pain. Just finished reading a number of post, while it looks like the results are mixed I decided to go for it. Then bike only had 2500 miles when I bought it a year ago in great shape always garaged (no rust etc.) In any case thought I'd see how easy it is to get the bar ends off. Put my trusty hex wrench in and promptly stripped it, quite frankly sheared like they were made of aluminum.

What do I do at this point. I am willing to sacrifice the bar-ends if needed, really want to order and install throttle tamer...help!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, shocking the bar end by rapping it with a hammer may help break loose the seal on the threads. When you replace them wipe a little grease on the threads for future service. :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been reading about the throttle tamer and want to install as the throttle snatch on my 05' is really a pain. Just finished reading a number of post, while it looks like the results are mixed I decided to go for it. Then bike only had 2500 miles when I bought it a year ago in great shape always garaged (no rust etc.) In any case thought I'd see how easy it is to get the bar ends off. Put my trusty hex wrench in and promptly stripped it, quite frankly sheared like they were made of aluminum.

What do I do at this point. I am willing to sacrifice the bar-ends if needed, really want to order and install throttle tamer...help!!

Just want to confirm.. you ARE using the larger size hex key, right? If you look inside, there's the small one (I think 5mm?) and a larger one (8mm?). There is no way you can pull the bar end off using the smaller one without stripping it.

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys rock!!! Thanks to all who responded. As Erci suspected I was using a 4.5MM hex wrench on the inside nut (no idea why it would be there if not to be used for removal) instead of the larger 8MM on the larger opening. After tapping it a few times with a rubber mallet and using the suggested 8MM wrench came off easily. Really thanks!!!! I thought I was looking at a big hassle if not added expense. Great having a forum like this!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys rock!!! Thanks to all who responded. As Erci suspected I was using a 4.5MM hex wrench on the inside nut (no idea why it would be there if not to be used for removal) instead of the larger 8MM on the larger opening. After tapping it a few times with a rubber mallet and using the suggested 8MM wrench came off easily. Really thanks!!!! I thought I was looking at a big hassle if not added expense. Great having a forum like this!!

Awesome! :thumbup: