Anti buzz

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
So after posting short blurt on how I fought with buzz in my bars I got whole bunch of PMs asking for details.
So here you go - please note that it worked on my particular setup and results are not guaranteed, use at your own risk, etc, etc :D

I had stock bars and FZ1 bars and did not really like any of them. I tried them in stock clamps and with sw motech bar risers from twisted throttle. It was OK but position was not quite to my liking and buzz was still there (with stock and aftermarket bar ends).
I decided to address position first and deal with buzz later.
So I went ahead with the following - Rizoma MA001 bar, Rizoma MA512 bar ends and re-used same bar risers I had.
To add to this config - I also have Corbin seat. I am around 5'10, regular build, 178 lbs.
After all said and done (bar install, playing a bit with positioning of all instruments) - seating position became perfect for me (I can do upright or lean if need to).
Now the buzz!
I did not feel like shelling out another $50 (with customs, taxes, etc) for bar snake.
So I started looking for cheap DIY solution. Found one on one of off-road forums (don't remember which one).
Guy took whole bunch of little lead balls, mixed them with silicone and stuffed his handlebars.
I had silicone already - $0
Now the balls - went to basspro and all they had are huge 25lbs bags of lead balls at like $78. So i decided to set on steel BB gun ammo - bought too.If you hunt or know someone who is a hunter - ask them, you only need two handfulls to stuff the bar.
If you want to do it properly - take handlebar off, measure how much you need to leave for bar ends to work and start stuffing stuff pretty much right away. Let it sit overnight or more if you can to allow silicon to settle.
If you do it to your stock/fz1/fz6r bar - make sure silicone/steel/lead combo will not do any harm. And make sure you tape all the holes so mixture does not get out.

I waited for silicone to settle in mixing jar and was not able to fill the middle of handlebars but it worked regardless. Now I virtually have no buzz at all and little tiny piece of vibration which still get through - they do not feel like buzz anymore but more like great feedback from bike.

Any questions - ask away, I'll try my best to answer them.

Last edited:

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Anti buzz -- Silicone & Lead in Bars??

I'm ready to try filling my bars with lead, but how do you mix it with silicone? The silicone is sooo sticky... Would it make sense to just fill the bars with lead and put silicone in each end, enough so it doesn't leak out of the holes for the bar ends?

The OP above says he wasn't able to fill the middle of the bar, I'm assuming because the silicone was so sticky. I'd rather fill the whole bar with lead.

If heavy bar ends help, and the 17 oz. version only adds about 8 oz. per end (about 1 pound total) over stock, then filling the bar with +-5 pounds of lead has got to be even better. If not, then I can just dump it out, rather than having it all stuck in there mixed with silicone.

That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Anti buzz -- Silicone & Lead in Bars??

The purpose of the silicone is to absorb some of the vibration. I would look into a more flowable silicone/RTV, possibly a 2-part mix. I remember using one kind at my old job for potting electrical wires. That way you can mix the silicone up with the lead, then pour it all into the handlebar and let it cure.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
I filled my renthals with lead, just melted some plugged one end and poured it in. Added two punds to the bars, had it tapped for stock ends. Still get a small buzz but not to bad really.