Am I getting hosed??

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
I should've asked you all this a few days ago, unfortunately I'm just getting around to it now?

So I bring my bike into a shop to have him go over everything. I changed the oil myself, but I figured I'd have a pro go over it for the 4,000 mi service. He told me that the front tire was "chopped". Anyone ever heard of this? He says it's from not aligning the rear wheel perfectly when I adjusted the chain. While I was standing there, we found a staple or small finish nail in the tire too. So I say what the hell, and dished out $153 for a new front tire (BT 020). I thought that was quite pricey, especially since that didn't include labor.

Does anyone know the effects of not having the rear tire aligned? I think I paid to much for the tire, but what is the average that everyone pays for a front tire installed?

The bike should be done today, hopefully he didn't find anything else wrong with it. But, I'm expecting about a $300 bill.

On the plus side, I ordered a FE from FAZR6 and should arrive today too. Can't wait to see how it looks.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy is correct. If the rear is not aligned, the front will cup or "chop" on one side of the front tire. Some have said this is due to low tire pressure but that's a misconception. Someone has posted the proper way to align the rear after chain adjustment. Just search for "chain align" and you'll find it.

The cupping will be on the side that the bike is pushing toward, thus if the rear is aligned slightly to the left, the bike will chop the front tire to the left of the center line.

One way to cautiously test alignment is to go to a vacant lot and cost at about 30 mph while raising your hands off both grips slightly (no-hands!) and see if the bike continues straight. If you find yourself leaning to correct the bike because it's NOT going straight, you're likely out of alignment and the rear is pushing the bike in the opposite direction of your lean.

Reaction score
Visit site
well i just got new tires for my ninja a couple months ago and my rear was like 140ish so that price sounds right...some shops will do free installs if you buy from them so look around in the future cuz thats a good way to save a couple bucks...

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
So I say what the hell, and dished out $153 for a new front tire (BT 020). I thought that was quite pricey, especially since that didn't include labor.

yeah that is pricey. I just put on Michelin power pilot 2ct's and the front tire cost me $128 and $50 to install. Oh and btw the power pilots are waaaaay better than the bt 020. I thought I had good traction before. Now with the pilots I realize just how luck I am that I didn't slide out or something.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad it was a spur of the moment thing cause you might have done better $ wise & especially a tire other than the 020! Just MHO.

sconner

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a PAIR of BT016's for $225 delivered to my door. Most places in town will mount/balance for $20-$30 a tire.

W

wrightme43

Its done now. Just learn how to change your own tires in the future.

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Lesson learned. When I picked it up he was telling me I should switch to the Power Pilots. After hearing on here that people like them better, I'll probably switch in the spring. But, I'll definitely shop around for the best price.