ACH ride Saturday 12/5/09

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
ACH ride Saturday 12/5/09 - FEW PICS ADDED.

Short notice, but Cali_Rider and I will be riding ACH this saturday morning...

nccoder? mostro? McLovin? Westgoingzax? Vegasrider? :))) Powell? San Diego folks?

Anyone interested let us know and we can setup a meeting point... (it will be relatively early though, to make the most out of the morning (family obligations in mid-afternoon for me).

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds fun - the weather should be great too!

I'll be in Vegas till Sunday. I'd love to join up next time around.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright so here is the plan:

We will have breakfast at this place (click on contact for map): http://www.hillstreetcafelacanada.com/index.html

This cafe is at the bottom of ACH, so it'll be perfect.

We will leave from this place at 8am SHARP (with or without you lol), so if you want to join us, please be there and all "fueled up" @ 7:45am.

On a side note, this is not a social event, it's a "quick" ride from La Canada (bottom of ACH) all the way to Wrightwood and then back... we will stop a couple of times for a quick break, but the plan is to ride, ride, and ride some more :)
Also, based on what Oso2k wrote this week about ACH, the road up there may be dirty and covered in debris, so we will be mellow... cops will most likely be up there as well.

Finally, it will be quite cold up there, so wear your thermals :)

Hope a couple more guys can join us :rockon:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright so here is the plan:

We will have breakfast at this place (click on contact for map): http://www.hillstreetcafelacanada.com/index.html

This cafe is at the bottom of ACH, so it'll be perfect.

We will leave from this place at 8am SHARP (with or without you lol), so if you want to join us, please be there and all "fueled up" @ 7:45am.

On a side note, this is not a social event, it's a "quick" ride from La Canada (bottom of ACH) all the way to Wrightwood and then back... we will stop a couple of times for a quick break, but the plan is to ride, ride, and ride some more :)
Also, based on what Oso2k wrote this week about ACH, the road up there may be dirty and covered in debris, so we will be mellow... cops will most likely be up there as well.

Finally, it will be quite cold up there, so wear your thermals :)

Hope a couple more guys can join us :rockon:

David, I got your e mails. That cafe is awesome. I will be there between 7-7.30 to have some coffee with you guys, then we can blast up!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as this weekend, I'm out.

But I'm planning to head to LA in a couple of weeks, and I am leaning towards staying in Burbank this time, rather than Woodland Hills like I do every year.

Is ACH open the entire way, coming from the other side? I was thinking taking this road on my way to LA from Vegas.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: You guys are geniuses. Unfortunately, staging this against the show in Long Beach has even tricked me!

I'll be down there, demo-ing a few bikes to hopefully see which one I want to park next to the FZ this year. (Hey, it could happen! ;))

I hope you guys have ACH all to yourselves and enjoy it thoroughly. Please report on the conditions when you get back. Next time I would love to join you for a brisk run up the crest (if the snow holds off :(). The section from Newcombs to Wrightwood and back was my favorite run this summer.

Have fun!!!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as this weekend, I'm out.

But I'm planning to head to LA in a couple of weeks, and I am leaning towards staying in Burbank this time, rather than Woodland Hills like I do every year.

Is ACH open the entire way, coming from the other side? I was thinking taking this road on my way to LA from Vegas.

Yep Kenny, it's open all the way, but be aware that they're expecting rain/storms in a couple of weeks, which probably means snow up there and road closed... just keep an eye out for it before you commit to the trip (if you're doing it for ACH anyway).

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: You guys are geniuses. Unfortunately, staging this against the show in Long Beach has even tricked me!

I'll be down there, demo-ing a few bikes to hopefully see which one I want to park next to the FZ this year. (Hey, it could happen! ;))

I hope you guys have ACH all to yourselves and enjoy it thoroughly. Please report on the conditions when you get back. Next time I would love to join you for a brisk run up the crest (if the snow holds off :(). The section from Newcombs to Wrightwood and back was my favorite run this summer.

Have fun!!!

hehe we were thinking about going to the show but since they wont be demo-ing the new Honda (for John) and I am perfectly content with my bikes right now, we said LET's RIDE INSTEAD! :)

Looking forward to reading your reviews on the bikes you try out...

We'll report back on ACH for sure... and with pics :)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all I'm sure you're aware but I just thought I'd throw it out there....

I was reading on Pashinit yesterday that there was some ICE up there when the road reopened....so keep that possibility in mind...especially at 8 am!

Speed safe :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Short notice, but Cali_Rider and I will be riding ACH this saturday morning...

nccoder? mostro? McLovin? Westgoingzax? Vegasrider? :))) Powell? San Diego folks?

Anyone interested let us know and we can setup a meeting point... (it will be relatively early though, to make the most out of the morning (family obligations in mid-afternoon for me).

I could do it on Sunday! Dang! I would love to do this with you guys!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Ice? How far up? Not along the ACH/AFH to Palmdale route. Certainly possible on the way to Newcomb's. Debris has been getting better but there are still plenty of marble to super ball size rocks in some spots. Just be careful and wear layers. More than shirt under the race suit is recommended. At 6:45AM, it's been upper 30's/lower 40's as we pass the 3-way at ACH/AFH. At ~8AM/9AM, I'm guessing it'll be upper 40's.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Nate/Louis for the heads up.

Sorry Cliff! Next time :)

Will wear thermals, balaclava, and all the winter gear for sure :) I took the bike to work this morning and froze my butt off in thermals + Levi's, and that was only a 15min commute lol

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ice? How far up? Not along the ACH/AFH to Palmdale route. Certainly possible on the way to Newcomb's.

I'm not familiar with the area. Here is what I read.

LINK

Pashnit

ICE
4148646958_de280e6939_b.jpg

I'm really hoping I get to incorporate some ACH into my SoCal ride later this month.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
bah, a little sliding never hurt anyone :D

Nate, if open, we'll do ACH for sure when're your down here... either in the cars or bikes...

mostro

Previous FZ6'er
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I won't be making it tomorrow. Had a hell week and quite frankly want to sleep in, rest up and maybe even drink some bloody mary's tomorrow late morning.

Here's a video I found posted in one of Nate's links: Angeles Crest Highway on second day reopened on Vimeo

It's from someone doing ACH a few days back, a number of icy spots and sketchy conditions, but for the most part it looks OK. Lots of burn, sad to see.

Ride safe friends, hope to see you guys soon.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Great ride, a bit cold but still excellent, especially that ACH will most likely be closed soon until next year... We saw maybe 2 bikes up there... it was EMPTY!!! The 3 cars/trucks we saw let us by almost instantly and we had ACH for ourselves!!! It was great and other than a few patches of ice on the road (on top of the mountain), a few spots of gravel and cold hands, it was a blast!

Thanks Cali Rider for leading and to McLovin for showing up!

Few pics:

We saw this after breakfast... anyone know what it is?

4161417518_d5986a413b_b.jpg

4161418106_f22cec2fc1_b.jpg

4160662081_b7b4146ef0.jpg

4161419076_6c0a6ec282_b.jpg

There was a lot of devastation up there due to the fires... pretty impressive (in a bad way) to see all the burnt mountains... you can see a little bit of it here:

4161419292_8a51b43cd9_b.jpg

and a pano of the turn in which we saw a guy drop his Ducati a few months back:

4160662769_30d7b08bdc_b.jpg

Last edited:

mostro

Previous FZ6'er
Reaction score
Visit site
Great shots as always David.

Glad you guys made it back OK. Looks chilly up there!

Is that car a Shelby GT? (i dont really know cars but that for some reason came to mind)

I ended up going to the IMS for a few hours, didnt ride any bikes, as they didnt have any i was stoked about trying to make it worth waiting in line.

Did see some cool new rides though, Ducati Streetfighter, Honda VFR1200, Ducati Multistrada redesign, and BMW S1000RR. Also some cool old Norton Commando race bikes on exhibit.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a great ride other than the cold. I took the dirtbike up the backside of Palomar and there was snow/ice and man it was cold.

The car is a Shelby Daytona Coupe and it's strange that it has a classic plate. From what I can see there were only 6 made, so if that's a real 64/65 car it would be amazing.

Last edited: