1st gear problems

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Being more sensitive with the gears and alowing the clutch to get some bite before I hit 1st and problem seems to have disappeared. Wicked!!:D

niggs

Reaction score
Visit site
hey
i have n fz 16 in india
i kinda have the same problem, the gear just doesnt shift to the first gear
rest all the gears are workin fine but only the first gear is a problem
my bike is new and i have had no accidents not evan a scrath on the bike till now
can u people help ?????????//

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just match rpm with a throttle blip like you said, and it goes right in. Cant lock the rear because the engine is matched as the clutch comes out and the rpms drop. Just the way I do it though.

same here..this method also eliminates the infamous "clunk"..most bikes dont like downshifting a series of gears at low speed or stopped...my freind had the same problem on his er6n ..he had a habit of rolling up to red lights with his clutch in and then trying to engage 1st from whatever high gear he was in...it never worked..just down shift a gear at a time according to your speed

vela

Reaction score
Visit site
same here..this method also eliminates the infamous "clunk"..most bikes dont like downshifting a series of gears at low speed or stopped...my freind had the same problem on his er6n ..he had a habit of rolling up to red lights with his clutch in and then trying to engage 1st from whatever high gear he was in...it never worked..just down shift a gear at a time according to your speed

You can downshift a few gears but when it stops shifting you just have to release the clutch till it starts griping and then you can downshift a couple more gears. That's not a problem, but what happened to me was complete failure to downshift into 2nd N and 1st. It happened yesterday after I got off the highway... I taught I fried the oil or something but the problem was so simple... FZ6 has a shift lever problem! In order to shift, the lever needs be in neutral position and it gets stuck in the lower position when it's not oiled. When you shift up, it gets pulled down with gravity but it won't go up into neutral position when you downshift. The moral of this story? Oil your lever... :rockon:
I knew Yamaha's were bulletproof! :D

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure sure you are downshifting while moving and always let the gears shift all the way. If you go slapping down at the shift lever really fast, you have a big chance of not shifting. Take your time with it and you should be fine.

Grape

Reaction score
Visit site
I experienced the same problems last summer. For me, the solution was very easy. It turned out that the lever arm and its related components needed some oil. So if you havent tried it yet, try to put lots of oil there. Make sure you jack with the lever while oiling all the joints so that the oil enters everywhere.

Good luck //Henrik

edit: I did not see the answer two posts above. Sorry.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I experienced the same problems last summer. For me, the solution was very easy. It turned out that the lever arm and its related components needed some oil. So if you havent tried it yet, try to put lots of oil there. Make sure you jack with the lever while oiling all the joints so that the oil enters everywhere.

Good luck //Henrik

edit: I did not see the answer two posts above. Sorry.

Would it be ok to use WD-40 for this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If all else fails, there is a shifter adjustment screw which I believe is under the clutch basket, part #8, in the Yamaha parts fisch:

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/...=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=2007&fveh=20038

This screw is machined slightly offset and basically allows adjustment with the shifter drum/forks. If it is not correct, more to one side than the other, it will be difficult to shift either up or down, depending on how its adjusted. There is a spring that wraps around the shifter shaft and centers itself on this bolt. Thus if its not centered/adjusted correctly it'll cause the shifter shaft to not come back to dead center. Something to look at before going to the dealer.....