Fixing two most basic problems...possible? (Clutch lever and 1st gear)

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
1. When in first gear on the FZ6, it is not smooth. It is very difficult to maintain slow, smooth speeds in first gear, I typically switch to 2nd, but at times when I need first it has a very revvy acceleration.

2. The clutch lever is very difficult to pull compared to other bikes...I tried my friend's ST800 and another friend's V-Strom and their clutch pull is much smooth/easier. Is this a matter of adjusting the cable, or do I need to replace the lever itself?

As a result of these issues at times I find I over-rev in 1st gear to get going while I find the friction point, and have issues riding between 10-15 MPH smoothly.

1. When in first gear on the FZ6, it is not smooth. It is very difficult to maintain slow, smooth speeds in first gear, I typically switch to 2nd, but at times when I need first it has a very revvy acceleration.

2. The clutch lever is very difficult to pull compared to other bikes...I tried my friend's ST800 and another friend's V-Strom and their clutch pull is much smooth/easier. Is this a matter of adjusting the cable, or do I need to replace the lever itself?

As a result of these issues at times I find I over-rev in 1st gear to get going while I find the friction point, and have issues riding between 10-15 MPH smoothly.

I got used to it in a few weeks. The friction zone is a common problem, doesnt bother me anymore. My clutch lever feels butter smooth after lubing the cable and purchasing some new levers, but i bet just lubing it would make a huge difference for you. The adjustable levers cured most of my friction zone problems too since my hands are tiny :)

Ohh and the low speed problem is just throttle control. Might want to try a throttle tamer. I read they work wonders.

It sounds like your cable needs to.be lubed, i use to have a vstrom and my.dad still dose and his clutch lever has pretty much the same amount of force needed as my fz6 if not more, but as for 1st gear being touchy there is no real fix thats just part of the fzs downfall, a very sensative throttle, plus your in 1st gear its going to be sensative anyways it will just take time and miles to get use to. Oh and i wouldnt worry about "over reving" 1st gear because unless your bouncing off the revlimiter for more then 30sec it wont hurt the bike at all

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got used to it in a few weeks. The friction zone is a common problem, doesnt bother me anymore. My clutch lever feels butter smooth after lubing the cable and purchasing some new levers, but i bet just lubing it would make a huge difference for you. The adjustable levers cured most of my friction zone problems too since my hands are tiny :)

Ohh and the low speed problem is just throttle control. Might want to try a throttle tamer. I read they work wonders.

I'm pretty used to both issues right now as I've been riding the FZ6 over a year, but I'd still rather "Fix" both issues if possible vs. getting used to them.

So there's no mechanical tuning solution to smooth out first gear?

We all know exactly what you are talking about..def common FZ6 qualms.

You could get adjustable levers to help with the clutch. That being said, I think you should first try what was suggested above and lube the cable. I am confident you will see improvement.

Also, may not be for everyone, but I adjsuted the clutch lever nut by tightening it towards the lever. This reduces the distance away from the bar where the clutch begins to grab. For me, it was easier to manage that way. This will, however, introduce slack into the clutch cable.

We all know exactly what you are talking about..def common FZ6 qualms.

You could get adjustable levers to help with the clutch. That being said, I think you should first try what was suggested above and lube the cable. I am confident you will see improvement.

Also, may not be for everyone, but I adjsuted the clutch lever nut by tightening it towards the lever. This reduces the distance away from the bar where the clutch begins to grab. For me, it was easier to manage that way. This will, however, introduce slack into the clutch cable.

Lube it is! I will try this first, though now that I'm used to it I think my hand just got stronger. Mostly the riding at low speeds issue...I was doing some hairpin turns in 2nd gear and I was almost stalling the engine as the revs would go too low because I didn't want to ride in the gear I should have been in (1st).

I'm pretty used to both issues right now as I've been riding the FZ6 over a year, but I'd still rather "Fix" both issues if possible vs. getting used to them.

So there's no mechanical tuning solution to smooth out first gear?

Unfortunately no. You could spend 1000s on your bike and 1st woyld still be touchy/snatchy, it might get a little better with a throttle tamer, custom tune but if 1st is your only complaint i wouldn't bother with the time or money. Wrist control is your best bet because any slight change, especialy letting off and getting back on will cause the bike to "jerk" and with the lower gearing in 1st its just that much more noticeable

Follow-up question:

Someone said I could increase the range of the friction point by replacing the clutch...did he mean like a 3rd party non-OEM one? Has anyone here ever done this? Did it help?

In my opinion, the FZ6 does not have those issues... I don't mean to be harsh in any way to you... but my feeling is that You need to learn/practice better clutch/throttle control... I have had many other bikes and currently have a 2011 650 V-strom as well... I have no issues with smooth clutch/throttle control on either of my current bikes... In fact, I have had no issues you speak of with any of my previous bikes...

In my opinion, the FZ6 does not have those issues... I don't mean to be harsh in any way to you... but my feeling is that You need to learn/practice better clutch/throttle control... I have had many other bikes and currently have a 2011 650 V-strom as well... I have no issues with smooth clutch/throttle control on either of my current bikes... In fact, I have had no issues you speak of with any of my previous bikes...

I second that (especially the not-harsh part).

When I first test rode my FZ6, I was used to riding a very forgiving bike, and after a perfect start out of the dealer's lot, I stalled that poor FZ6 probably three or four times per intersection, and more on the hills (thanks, dh, for the copious warnings not to give it much throttle to take off or I'd wrap it around a telephone pole and die a gory death, etc., etc. :eek:).

But after I got to thinking about it on my own, I realized I needed to pay attention to what the bike is telling me, not to my notions of where the friction point should be or how big it should be or how much of a twist a throttle ought to need to start off.

My second time on the bike, with my brain fully engaged, :BLAA: went far more smoothly. We're best friends now.

Lube is definitely a good idea, helps a bit. That plus my Pazzo shorties makes a world of difference.

I was reading page one and wondering if anyone was going to address the clutch control issue...The FZ6's friction zone is small, but you get used to it after a while. It's different than a lot of bikes. As far as not being smooth at slow speed, that's common in first gear.

If I'm going slow enough to stay in 1st, I'm always working the clutch. Some may say this will make your clutch wear out, etc. but as long as you don't ride in the friction zone you'll be fine. Just learn to work that clutch and you'll get smoother. Be generous with the throttle too.

Another thing, if your bike has aftermarket slip-ons and you haven't bought a power commander to tune the fuel ratio, your throttle response and overall performance will suffer, usually will be worse than stock since the bike is probably running thin.

Hope this helps! :rockon:

I feel about the way you do about it, HappyHighwayman. I am planning the following changes to address:

1.) Change oil to Yamalube to see if that helps. Oil choice affects a wet clutch.

2.) Install a throttle tamer. I'm swapping out for a fz6r bar soon anyway, so work-wise it's no biggie.

3.) Apply killernoodle's clutch lever mod as soon as he gets to doing it again.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35451-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again.html -- If he never does, see if I can get the dimensions and fab or have fabbed comparable mod or else buy a Magira hydraulic kit.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/group-purchases/30362-group-buy-magura-hymec-hydraulic-clutch.html

That being said, if I ride daily for a couple of days I feel silly for wanting to go to this much trouble. I like the way it rides. But if I take a week or two off, I feel like a new rider on a twitchy bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chemiker sells a nice lube kit for your cables...it works very well! Use the search function to find it. Good luck with this...lots of good advice on this forum.

I use a kick arse penetration lube to lube my clutch cable called kroil, one little squirt by the handle at the split, and one little squirt at the end of the cable....silky smooth

I use a kick arse penetration lube to lube my clutch cable called kroil, one little squirt by the handle at the split, and one little squirt at the end of the cable....silky smooth

+1 on the above.. Doesn't hurt to put a dab of waterproof grease on the pivot bolt and the area where the handle resides...

It's true, there is something to be said about just getting used to the FZ6 as opposed to other bikes. I used to ride a 650R, and the friction zone was more forgiving as was the throttle, but after putting around 1000 miles on the FZ, I almost dont even notice anymore.

Upon my maiden voyage I did stall once or twice from a stop, and was a little blippy on the throttle, especially in first, but now that I am accustomed to it I love the way the bike rides and no longer notice these "problems"

That being said, there are ways to minimize these two issues with lube, new levers, lever adjustments, etc.

Back