05 fz6 mid pipe

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys got my 2005 FZ6 running and it's missing the midpipe so it's super loud everything else is still attached including the rear mufflers and the cat but I need to find a mid pipe to replace it where should I look should I go to an exhaust shop and have them weld something on or should I be able to find a replacement midpipe online somewhere and just bolt it up

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys got my 2005 FZ6 running and it's missing the midpipe so it's super loud everything else is still attached including the rear mufflers and the cat but I need to find a mid pipe to replace it where should I look should I go to an exhaust shop and have them weld something on or should I be able to find a replacement midpipe online somewhere and just bolt it up

Do you have a stock exhaust system or an aftermarket system? Reason I ask is because it sounds like you might be missing the Y-pipe if you do indeed have an aftermarket system. The cat pipe and mid pipe are one in the same.

Please view this diagram to verify what parts you do/do not have: 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST Yamaha Motorcycle EXHAUST Diagram and Parts

There are three main parts to the exhaust system on the FZ6:

The headers, Part # 1

The cat pipe, Part # 6

The muffler, Part # 11

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah looks like both might be hacked up... But a picture from the side would clear it up.

Do you know what passenger pegs those are Townsend? I like them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll get one in the morning won't be home till after dark. I'm pretty sure it's still stock mufflers they are still hanging from the mounts on the bike

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah looks like both might be hacked up... But a picture from the side would clear it up.

Do you know what passenger pegs those are Townsend? I like them.

Can't tell from that angle.

Also, you can see the muffler insulation further up. I don't think there's even a muffler there, just the outside plastic cover...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I fired mine off with S1 header and straight pipe mid pipe and it was rather obnoxious!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
So, the PO chopped up the Midpipe and left the Muffler as a show piece?
Also, the pass footpegs looks OEM to me?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The mid-pipe looks flared (you can see its wider at the end) out or maybe an exhaust tip attached to it.

It makes the bike faster!:spank:

Much easier and faster than drilling the stock muffler. And less weight!!

Sure, flared is a better word, and if the OP didn't disconnect/remove any thing inbetween, It reminds me of someone, who did a ghost exhaust, basically similar to extending the mid-pipe until under the seat and leaving the muffler intact as a decoy..!

As you said before, we need more pics, lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, flared is a better word, and if the OP didn't disconnect/remove any thing inbetween, It reminds me of someone, who did a ghost exhaust, basically similar to extending the mid-pipe until under the seat and leaving the muffler intact as a decoy..!

As you said before, we need more pics, lol.

You missing two wheels yet Raj??

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
Last one. Sorry about so many posts I'm trying to do this from my phone and it's hard to upload multiple at once. I called the local motorcycle shop and they said they wanted to to 300 just a weld the new pipe on that's why I was trying to see if I could buy whatever part I need it online and just attach it 20161110_104238.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, they welded/clamped (hard to see) a tip on there.

Check the parts fisch for your exhaust to see what you need:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST EXHAUST Diagram

You may be able to grind away and save the mid-pipe. Your main muffler pipe is missing (which should be attached to the muffler).

You can buy a used muffler here (just had one posted for cheap this week), (a whole lot cheaper than that welder too).
spending the $ for welding it and getting it dead nuts on, if possible, will be tough. A used muffler is a no brainer IMO...

*If you can afford it, NOW would be the time to put on an aftermarket exhaust system. That, you won't be sorry....

Last edited:

Topher

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is ear splittinly loud when you're riding it for more than half an hour. This is my first motorcycle I just got my license last week I was kind of hoping just to use this as a cheap learning bike and then upgrade in a few months so I really didn't want to spend $500 on a new exhaust

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look in the F/S section or post a WTB on this forum.

There's ALWAYS mufflers for sale, for cheap as most folks change them out.

Also keep in mind, with the bike that loud, your attracting the attention of the "man" and may see a "fix it ticket" which is likely more $ than a used muffler...