Your help please

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
My name is Norm. I've been lurking on your outstanding forum. My history is as follows. I'm 51 years old. 5 years ago I bought a Yamaha Zuma (49cc) and began tooling around on this. I had a moped as a kid but had never driven a motorcycle. 2 years ago I decided to move up the food chain. While I drove stick shift cars my whole life I was a little reluctant to go straight to a motorcycle since I didn't want to be shifting and learning how to battle cagers at the same time. I therefore started with a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I put 2000 miles on this, and then got my motorcycle endorsement as I was feeling pretty good about riding. With a lot of "hints" from the scooter forums I later took the MSF course for good measure.

I then bought the Honda Silver Wing (600cc scooter), a 2007 model, that I have now put 7000 miles on in under a year. No mishaps so far on any of these, thank goodness. The bike I have lusted for since day one was the FZ6. I did not buy it on day one figuring I needed experience on easier, less powerful bikes. I have ridden my friend's Honda Pacific Coast and my nephew's Yamaha XT225 many times and I have no issues with the shifting/clutch etc.

I have ridden in Boston and New York City traffic, highway, and overnighters so I feel good about the nearly 10,000 miles of riding being representative of what's out there.

The Yamaha dealer has a brand new 2006 model (no miles) which was assembled in May of this year. He'll take my Silver Wing and $1000 for the FZ6. Would the members be so kind as to answer a few questions:

1) Is this bike too big a jump for me in your opinion? I'm 5'10" 150 lbs and sitting on it and moving it around the showroom floor is easier than moving my 550 lb Silver Wing, so I'm hoping not.

2) Were there any major changes on the FZ6 from 2006 to 2008?

3) Are there any issues unique to the 2006 as opposed to any other years.

4) I saw that one member had issues with the clutch and stalling on his new bike. Has your experiences been mostly trouble free on this bike? I would just kick myself if I began having problems with the new bike after having zero problems with the Silver Wing.

5) I'm hoping you'll all say "Go for it!" because I LOVE this bike.

Thank you in advance. This forum is awesome!

Norm

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Norm,

First off welcome to the Forum, glad to hear you are not longer lurking. I get paranoid when people a spying on me. ;)

Bottomline, you will be able to handle the bike, the Bergman and the Silverwing are great stepping stones to a motorcycle. A friend of mine hardly ever rides his Gold Wing now that he has a 650 Bergman, he loves it.

Before I respond to the other questions what is the Silverwing worth? Reason being my local dealer told me he can't get enough bikes 600cc and under, nor scooters. He is sitting on the liter bikes. I suspect you Silverwing is worth much more than they are offering you.

1) Not too big at all. You will be an almost perfect fit for the FZ at your height and at your weight you will not need to play with the suspension.

2) Many changes between 06 and 07. 07 was a big revamp year for the FZ6. Brakes, fairing, fuel injection, O2 sensor added, computer updated, swingarm, dash and several other changes. Mainly refinements to an already GREAT bike.

3) No issues that I am aware of. Question to the Forum, does the TPS recall apply to the '06? If so make sure it is done before you buy it.

4) Very reliable bike. Only one or two members have had any significant issues. One member has 50K+ miles on his.

5) Go for it, but check the value of your bike. Also check to see if they have any '07s.

Good luck with your decision! :D

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ridden properly the FZ6 is one of the best all around bikes for the money:cheer: It has a dual nature though, learn to use it wisely and you'll not be dissapointed!

Pull the trigger!! go for it !!

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Terms and trade I don't know about, but this is the right bike for you!

Buy it already :thumbup:

I have an '06 purchased in March '07 and have put 9,000 miles on it with no problems. (Lemme knock on some wood now :rolleyes:)

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
GO FOR IT!! You will be very happy. I promise. The fz6 is a perfect all around bike. Its great for the riders that just commute and hit the twisties on the weekends, and the fz6 can hold its own on the race course too!! As far at the clutch goes, it takes getting used to, it has a very short engagement. You'll get used to it the first week. You can always adjust it in or out a little to suit you better.

The fz6 is not a race bike but its no pushover! If you are looking for a bike thats awesome on gas, handles great, has plenty of power for the average rider, is very user friendly, and has one great forum backing it you're looking at the right bike!!

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you get it ;)

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Question to the Forum, does the TPS recall apply to the '06?
According to Tech Bulletin M2006-011, dated 7/26/06, nope, just all '04s and some '05s.

To the OP: Go for it, you have far more riding experience than I did when I got my '05 a few months ago, if I lived through the first 1000 miles, I'm sure you will :p

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha dealer has a brand new 2006 model (no miles) which was assembled in May of this year. He'll take my Silver Wing and $1000 for the FZ6.
I think all of your other questions have been answered, my only concern is the deal you are being offered. That new '06 should be "havable" for between $5500 and $5900 (plus tax and title, but don't pay for freight or set-up.) So if you are comfortable with getting $4500 to $4900 for your Silver Wing, go for it!

crusher39

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only researching buying a bike myself, but in TN, I've run across a couple 06 models for $5000 or less with 5-6k miles on craigslist. Maybe check the classifieds? Good luck.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With 10,000 miles under your belt and big scooter experience, you will be fine. If you can ride a Pacific Coast (a bike I WILL own some day) the fz6 will feel right at home. The fz6 has an excellent clutch, just a narrow friction zone, so do not fret about it, you may stall a few times, but who hasn't.:rolleyes:

Get the bike, you will be happy. And try and get more for your silver wing, dealer can not keep them in stock up here.

FastZipper6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Norm,

I too am 51 and I just got my 2006 FZ6 a couple months ago. At first I thought it was extremely fast and I was a bit afraid of it but now that I'm used to it I actually want more power. I didn't like the clutch at first but now I think it's great and I take off smoothly nearly every time I use it.

I say go for it. I look forward to my daily commute on it and the bike is very smooth, brakes are great and it handles very nicely.

Get it. You'll be glad you did. :noworries::beer::iconbeer:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Norm, it sounds like you are being ripped off as for your deal. The Silverwing is worth more than you are getting for it and certinly more than an '06 FZ6. Your Silverwing retail for either $8099 or $8599 (in '08) if it has ABS. At this point, I would not go for a new '06, there were too many changes for the better in '07 to make them more appealing. If you are able to sell the Silverwing privately you should be able to purchase the FZ6 for no loss

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Norm - welcome first off. The FZ6 was my first bike and handled responsibly I'm sure you've got enough experience to be very happy with an FZ6. The bike won't get you in trouble only you can.

I'm not sure about the value of your silver wing but given my experience with with some of the dealers in MA I'd suggest doing the research on prices for both your SilverWing and 2006 FZ6's if you haven't already (both private and dealers further away). Don't assume that all dealers would be about the same price-wise. If after that you're happy with the deal, than go for it - that's the important thing anyway. My totally biased open is that you'd love the FZ.

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
42 and prior to June of this year I had never been on a bike, scooter or anything else that had only two wheels and a motor. My 1st bike - A 2008 FZ6. I treated it with respect and it has been nothing but good to me. The power below 8000rpm is very docile in my opinion and easily manageable. Above 8000rpm yee haa and then some. I think you would be making a great choice and you already know what a great Forum this is so I look forward to your 1st post as an FZ6 owner.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies. As usual your information was great! After reading about the changes for '07 I went to another dealer and just purchased a new Blue '08 FZ6! I rode it the 8.5 miles home and it rides like a dream. Thank you. Everything written above was spot on. Oh, BTW, to get the '08 I had to give them $1900 and the Silver Wing. It was the best deal I could get from them. I told them what the other dealer was going to give for the '06 and we started at $2300. I'm not the best negotiator but I gave it my best. I'm super happy with the new bike, so please don't tell me how bad I got ripped off:(

I gave the Silver Wing a kiss goodbye. It served me well. With luck, I'll have the same experience on the FZ6. I can't thank you enough for all your great responses. I'm honored to be a member on this great forum. Tomorrow I'll post some pics.

Norm

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new fizzer Norm and out of all the colors............BLAZING BLUE............real sweeeeeeeet. Like everyone has said, respect the throttle. You've been riding all along even though it was a scoot. Not for nothing, those things can move especially the Burgman 650. I was originally thinking of getting the Burg but decided to dive straight into the FZ6. Just like you I've always drooled over it since it first came out, luckily I waited until '07 after Yamaha revamped the bike's map. Enjoy your ride and of course WATGATT.