Yahooo loving life about to take the plunge

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I like that you have a plan to pay it off quickly. If I had the cash and the means to buy a new bike, I would go for it. I know others have said go used and that would be a good way to go. But you've got a good amount of cash saved up and you would own the thing outright in no time if you follow the plan you set up for yourself. Things like engagement rings, houses and other of life's big purchases will usurp you ever getting a new bike. I say go for it while you have the chance!

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
To each his own. I think the OP has made up his mind and is going to buy new. I can't complain, people that buy new eventually end up selling them on the used market for the rest of us to benefit from! :D

As far as what Hoshiko said: I think he meant that it's a good chance to build some credit while you're young and don't have any other debt. That way you can get a better rate when it comes to larger dollar amounts like mortgages, which will save you alot more money in the long run. At least that's what I'm hoping he meant.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
To each his own. I think the OP has made up his mind and is going to buy new. I can't complain, people that buy new eventually end up selling them on the used market for the rest of us to benefit from! :D

As far as what Hoshiko said: I think he meant that it's a good chance to build some credit while you're young and don't have any other debt. That way you can get a better rate when it comes to larger dollar amounts like mortgages, which will save you alot more money in the long run. At least that's what I'm hoping he meant.

:thumbup: MAKES SENSE TO ME

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my two cents...it's an FZ6, yes it's a neat bike but there is no way an nearly two year old, entry level, discontinued anything is worth full retail. No offense guys.

I just bought an used cherry '06 FZ1 with about $2,000 in mods for $4K OTD.

Save your pennies. In fact if you are going to finance a new bike, why not finance at used one and bank your princple?

I think it was Buffett who said never sell your princple. Save at least 10% of you're earnings and never sell the the princple.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

When I moved to the US (with no credit at all) at about his age I built my credit using a "secured credit card" from Wells Fargo. I used it for 2 years and then they gave me a real credit card, with which I build more credit (never paid any interests though).
I try to stay away from debt except for my house, for which it actually makes sense to have a credit (even if you can pay it out right) imho.

As you said though, to each his own :rockon:

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt get my first motorcycle till I was 37 and it was my FZ6. Hindsight being 20/20 if I had the means at 22 (instead of having a wife, two kids and a mortgage) I'd be all over having a shiny new motorcycle at that age.

The delicious irony is that all the guys I knew at 22 who had bikes while I went without, finally had to give them up when it was their turn to "buckle down" and raise a family.

Now I'm 39, the kids are off to college and I have nothing but time to enjoy my motorcycle. Play now or play later is the moral of the story here. Mr. OP is going to play now. Good on ya mate. Enjoy it.

fredraction

Reaction score
Visit site
I can also highly recommend Dave Ramsey and the Total Money Makeover book. We've been following a no-debt plan for a few years and now I'm sitting with a paid for house, all paid for cars, college fund for two kids fully funded, two years of salary in the bank, and a pretty hefty retirement account.

Oh, and I just bought my spotless '08 FZ6 with 512 miles and a three year warranty, along with a jacket, helmet, and gloves from a 22 year old that got in over his head financing it last year. He paid like $7K last year for everything and I got it all for $4500 cash. I recommend never going into debt for anything (except maybe very conservatively for a house) and certainly never finance vehicles or toys.

Just some advice from someone who's been there and made the mistakes.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Hoshiko: so to sum up your post:

- first bike should always be brand new for the piece of mind.
and
- every 22yo should get in debt ASAP to be ahead of everyone else.

Did I understand your post right?

If I did, all I have to say is: wth??? :eek:

:rof::rof:

:welcome: Welcome Alexx,

Alexx

Reaction score
Visit site
You could buy Oso's FZ6 and come out with almost $2k in your pocket and no loan... his FZ6 is sick and has tons of expensive mods... with the $2k extra you could buy a nice set of full gear and get the bike painted if you don't like how it looks...

Buying a first bike new and getting into debt at 22yo is not even conceivable to me... and you're going to drop it the first year (with your experience in the world of motorcycles I am sure you know that), and it's much much cheaper to drop a used bike...

Just my $.02...

Whatever you do, good luck with it!

Hey can you offer a link to his FZ6? I mean if the bike is what I want I am not so hard headed that I have to get a new one. Is he somewhere around California? Again guys I am not so against buying a used bike that I wont do it. For the right price I definetly could go that route. Believe me I would love to save some money.
Remember my first must about this bike is its gotta be black! Year I am not so concerned about. I do want a bike with less than 10k miles as well, preferably under 5k.

Thanks everybody for the great comments. Very friendly boards here I think I will fit in just fine.

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey can you offer a link to his FZ6? I mean if the bike is what I want I am not so hard headed that I have to get a new one. Is he somewhere around California? Again guys I am not so against buying a used bike that I wont do it. For the right price I definetly could go that route. Believe me I would love to save some money.
Remember my first must about this bike is its gotta be black! Year I am not so concerned about. I do want a bike with less than 10k miles as well, preferably under 5k.

Thanks everybody for the great comments. Very friendly boards here I think I will fit in just fine.

Even if the bike is not black, you can have it painted and still have money leftover for the amount you will save buying used.

Hell, you could probably even part out some of his mods and paint it, and/or set it back to stock with little or no more money out of pocket.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/29821-fs-2005-fz6-palmdale-ca-2875-a.html

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

Try to get an FZ6 that's from 2007 onwards. They have better brakes and are a little easier to work on.

Alexx

Reaction score
Visit site
Even if the bike is not black, you can have it painted and still have money leftover for the amount you will save buying used.

Hell, you could probably even part out some of his mods and paint it, and/or set it back to stock with little or no more money out of pocket.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/29821-fs-2005-fz6-palmdale-ca-2875-a.html

ehh its not that its a bad bike and I actually could live with that color. Whatever he did with the headlight tho....I cant stand the look of it. Looks very cheap almost like a dirtbike and the color doesnt even match it. I pretty much like the bone stock look of the fz6 personally. I mean look at this picture

http://rajantechie.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/yamaha-fz6-fazer-04-1.jpg

Thats the look I want even a slightly different color would be fine as long as its still dark and has that stock look. I am not a bare naked street fighter kind of guy. I like the sportbike with the engine showing kind of look.

Thanks though.

EDIT: also on that bike the handlebars are way too low for my taste.

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Try to get an FZ6 that's from 2007 onwards. They have better brakes and are a little easier to work on.

What changed in the brakes between '06 and '07+? What makes '07+ easier to work on?

ehh its not that its a bad bike and I actually could live with that color. Whatever he did with the headlight tho....I cant stand the look of it. Looks very cheap almost like a dirtbike and the color doesnt even match it. I pretty much like the bone stock look of the fz6 personally. I mean look at this picture

Thats the look I want even a slightly different color would be fine as long as its still dark and has that stock look. I am not a bare naked street fighter kind of guy. I like the sportbike with the engine showing kind of look.

Thanks though.

You can buy a front end (headlight + cowl) for around $400... there are plenty of them around with all the ppl that are going naked constantly around here... it's almost plug and play, and you'd have the bike in the pic you posted (with a lot of sick expensive mods...) :thumbup:

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks though.

I was just posting that bike because you asked for a link to it, and to use as an example. My point was, you don't HAVE to buy new to get what you want. You can buy a 2007 bone stock, paint it black, and have the EXACT bike you want for less money.

Now, I am not saying it is a bad thing to buy new. Hell, I just financed a brand new 2008 (of course, I got it for about 200 more than a used one goes for). Just don't kid yourself into thinking you have to buy a new one to get what you want. You are in a really good position, financially. And you could spend less and still get exactly what you want, even if you have to make it what you want, and still have no debt. Then, that $800 per months that you are looking forward to having when it is paid off, you could have NOW.

All that said: If you want a NEW bike, get a new bike. It is your money. You are the only person that you have to please with your decisions. And I can't say as I blame you for wanting to celebrate your hard work by treating yourself to a brand spanking new bike. Whatever you do, have fun.:thumbup:

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
You can buy a front end (headlight + cowl) for around $400... there are plenty of them around with all the ppl that are going naked constantly around here... it's almost plug and play, and you'd have the bike in the pic you posted (with a lot of sick expensive mods...) :thumbup:

On that note, the $400 for the front fairing plus getting the bike painted black plus the cost of the bike can be had with what cash you currently have in hand. Not to mention, if the pic that you posted is what you like, you will not get that with a newer model, as the pic you posted has the silver frame and engine. That went away in 2006. It is now blacked out.

Alexx

Reaction score
Visit site
What changed in the brakes between '06 and '07+? What makes '07+ easier to work on?

I posted in that thread hoping maybe he has the stock one still. I would prefer not to do the work myself....lol
Thanks

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site

Well then Alexx, allow me to apologize. From your first post, it seemed to me like you were dead set on buying new. I'm glad to hear you're open minded and willing to consider either option.:thumbup: I understand wanting a certain color, or looking for certain things in particular. And on that, I would have to agree that you don't want to settle. But like others have said, you could buy used, paint it however you like, and still save money. My whole thing with new bikes is that they're only new while they're on the showroom floor. After that, it's used whether it's 10 miles or 10k miles.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever bike you decide to get. If you can get that for considerably less, then you have more money for mods (and trust me, they are addictive)!

Oh, and the other thing about buying new...you have to break it in. I couldn't imagine trying to keep my FZ6 under 6k rpms. It starts to come alive around 9k!:D

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted in that thread hoping maybe he has the stock one still. I would prefer not to do the work myself....lol
Thanks

I don't think he does.

Putting a stock front cowl/headlight on the bike means plugging 2 connectors together and tightening 4 bolts... that's about it if he kept the original connectors...
If you want, for the $4k difference between buying new and buying Oso's bike I will make the bike look exactly like you want for you for just $2k... you'll still be 2k ahead and have the look you want :D

Have you looked at naked FZ6s on this forum?

Like this one for example:

2640313127_0d99b06095_b.jpg

You could make Oso's bike look like that with basically just a swap of headlight... (+ a KOSO speedo makes it all sick...)... and you'd still be far ahead...

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks

Actually, if you're anything like most of us on here, that will change! Once you get a bike, it's hard not to want to tinker with it. Taking things apart, modding them, putting it together...all of that is a rather enjoyable experience. You really get to know your bike better and expand your own knowledge.

As far as putting the front fairing back on...pretty simple. There's even a how-to on this forum that shows you exactly which screws and plugs go where. It might appear a bit daunting at first, but it's really not bad. And lucky for you, you have the resources of this forum at your disposal. If there's anything you aren't sure how to do, I guarantee someone on here can and will help you out.

But like Sparky said, get what you want. Only you have to live with the decision. We're just trying to prevent you from realizing down the road that you could have gotten exactly what you wanted for a couple thousand less.

Best of luck Alexx!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

The brakes in the 07+ have four-piston calipers. The 06 and earlier have two.

The 07+ have a radiator cap and rear brake fluid reservoir that is easier to get to. There are a few other minor things....