Why do we ride?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I was talking to a (non-motorcycling) friend the other day about motorcycles, and (invevitably) he said he would never ride a bike because they are dangerous, and anyone who does is "nuts".
Yeah...I know...we have all heard that statement many, many times before and will hear it many, many times in the future.
But when I had some time to really stop and think about it.....why on earth would we engage in what is (arguably) one of the more (if not most) "dangerous" pastimes....not just once in a while, but on a daily basis? I put "dangerous" in quotation marks, as "danger" is a relative concept.
While I regard my first years of motorcycling with fondness and arguably as the most exciting years of my life (next to the army), I have to also admit that they were without doubt my most painful years. Two severe crashes into cars and two "come-offs" did damage that I am now reminded of on a daily basis now that I'm in my "mature" years.
I returned to bikes last year after almost a quarter century of abstinence, and am enjoying it very much. I know that I don't even begin to take the chances that I took as a fearless, immortal 18 year old on my old Bonneville scorching through Surrey and Hampshire in England, lost in the illusion that I was emulating the GP hero's of the day, with little regard for my (or anyone else's) safety.
I now enjoy motorcycling for the sake of it....that is, for the beauty of the machine itself (the FZ6 responds to being tarted up with tasteful accessories like none other), the sound and the fury of the ride (albeit tempered with a modicum of decorum these days), the wind, the sheer thrill of "controlling the beast".....in short, it may have its element(s) of "danger", but it's FUN.
So.....despite the very obvious "dangers", is that why do we ride...for FUN? Is it as simple as that? :)

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

This is a great write up. I agree, the dangers associated with motorcycle riding are a relative part of how the rider engages in our sport. I have been riding 44 years now and like you have been down but lucky for me have yet to have any serious injury or broken bones. Hurt? Yes but nothing broken.

I enjoy riding for the beauty of it all. The smells, scenery and feeling of being all alone with just my own desires for the ultimate fun. I have never used my bikes to commute so I can't speak for that side of things. To me, riding is an adventure and there are millions of miles of roads just waiting to be chased and enjoyed.

Riding isn't for everybody and to those that don't ride their only association with our sport may be the crash they saw last week or the rider they saw doing some insane thing promoting the worst in what they consider all of us. Either way I suspect I will ride as long as my mind and body will tolerate it. At 56 I'm still going strong and there is a lot more open road to be investigated.

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org
The rewards outweigh the risks involved. Having been in a hospital for 66 days, as the result of a moto accident, I speak with some authority on that. I ride because I enjoy it.

To your friend that thinks it is dangerous, tell him this, "Some people confuse breathing with living." I wish I had thought of that statement, but I can't take credit for it.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent post.

For me my year in Iraq put life into perspective for me. I saw everyday, good people trying to simply feed their families and send their children to school. That is all they wanted. I am lucky enough to live in what I consider the best country in the world. I've traveled all over Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and while each part fo the world offers wonderful things and wonderful people, I am so fortunate to live in a place that has virually unlimited freedoms and possiblities. Yes the U.S. isn't perfect but I think as Americans we take it for granted.

To digress just a bit, in 2005 I took my Army unit to Romania to train with a Romanian Infantry Battalion. Many of my Soldiers are poor kids from the Dallas area who complain about not having this and that and how bad their lives are. (But few do anything to improve their lot in life, the Army will pay for the University education if they wish.) Once we got to Romania we saw horses pulling wooden carts and people who had nothing material but the clothing on their backs. My Soldiers told me that they didn't realize how poor people really could be and how good they have it in the US. One old Romanina woman was crying, saying, "After the end of the war my parents told me, the Americans will come just wait. This is the happiest day of my life." She waited 65 years.

So what does this have to do with riding a motorcycle? I am able to afford to enjoy a sport I truly love and I enjoy the happiness that my little FZ brings me. I enjoy how free it makes me feel, even in stop and go traffic to and from work. People who don't ride will never understand that. My friend who owns a Miyata is the only one. He enjoys just to drive with the top down.

So after spending a year knowing full and well I may die at any second I put my fear of riding aside. I had almost died about 19 years ago in a racing accident and I realized that, as you put it, "There is much more to life than breathing."

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
To your friend that thinks it is dangerous, tell him this, "Some people confuse breathing with living." I wish I had thought of that statement, but I can't take credit for it.

+1

I plan to arrive at my grave not in a pristine perfectly preserved body prepared for more sleep, but rather sliding sideways, busted up and bruised, exclaiming "that was one hell of a ride!". I can't take credit for that one either.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My philosophy is this:

If you live your life scared that something might happen, then nothing will ever happen.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My philosophy is this:

If you live your life scared that something might happen, then nothing will ever happen.

That is perfect! Well said!

I ride because I am a safe driver and trust my skills and have a ton of fun doing it. I look forward to the road ahead every time I throw a leg over the seat. My undoing will come at the hands of another driver, I'm sure. But using the above philosophy, if I was to dwell on that and never ride, then I'd never enjoy myself in life.

Life each day like it's your last....

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread ....

I think its the freedom I feel when blasting around the twsties ...

The grin factor is impossible to describe to a non biker !!

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” - Stephanie Marrott

Different people have different risk tolerances, and different things that take our breaths away. Explaining motorcycling to someone who doesn't "get it" is like explaining the joy of smoking (yes, I said it) to someone. It's just not going to happen. For many of us, riding is a complete joy, and sense of freedom. There's many hobbies that I'll never "get" (fly fishing, ship-in-a-bottle building etc) - they do their thing, I do mine. Now if those fly fishermen would just quit trying to run me over...

"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives." - William Wallace

H

HavBlue

My philosophy is this:

FEAR (false expectations aren't reality.) You can't know about something if you have never truly experienced it. People ride a bicycle from childhood and without a helmet too. Why then would they not find the same joy from trying a motorcycle? This is beyond me...

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
FEAR (false expectations aren't reality.) You can't know about something if you have never truly experienced it. People ride a bicycle from childhood and without a helmet too. Why then would they not find the same joy from trying a motorcycle? This is beyond me...

Nicely put ....

I have a very dangerous job that is undescribeable to most ... every moment of my adrenalin driven roller coaster ride of a career can only be closely matched by the many moments of pure joy whilst riding a motorcycle :)

Its probably, at times, on par with the "what the f'ck !!" factor the folks out in the war zones are having whilst bullets are whizzing over their heads ....

:thumbup:

My thoughts .... you're all ADRENALINE junkies in denial ;)

:Sport:

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having recently entered into my 30's, I looked at activities I always wanted to enjoy but for some reason never go to try. Now however, I am very glad I started something new! Riding my bike I feel more alive than driving inside my cage. In a way that does make me an adrenaline junkie right?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Legend has it that there are more vehicles in the San Fernando Valley than there are in Canada. Riding a bike in LA must be somewhat of a challenge.

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I too have been riding off and on since I was 12 (mostly dirt bikes) and I too have taken some falls (nothing serious). It truly is about getting out there and enjoying the ride. Oh, and by the way, I too am 56!
This is a great write up. I agree, the dangers associated with motorcycle riding are a relative part of how the rider engages in our sport. I have been riding 44 years now and like you have been down but lucky for me have yet to have any serious injury or broken bones. Hurt? Yes but nothing broken.

I enjoy riding for the beauty of it all. The smells, scenery and feeling of being all alone with just my own desires for the ultimate fun. I have never used my bikes to commute so I can't speak for that side of things. To me, riding is an adventure and there are millions of miles of roads just waiting to be chased and enjoyed.

Riding isn't for everybody and to those that don't ride their only association with our sport may be the crash they saw last week or the rider they saw doing some insane thing promoting the worst in what they consider all of us. Either way I suspect I will ride as long as my mind and body will tolerate it. At 56 I'm still going strong and there is a lot more open road to be investigated.

S

sportrider

I cant really say why I ride, maybe it's because when I was young motorcycles just called to me, maybe it's the feeling I get when I'm "in the zone" at my favorite twisties, maybe it's the way I can escape everything and for whatever time I'm on the bike it's just me the bike and freedom. I've been hurt on a bike and the first thing I did when I got out of the hospital even before I could walk on my own was start to put my bike back together again. I think it goes way deeper then just a form of transportation I mean when is the last time you just walked out side to stare at your car? bet you can't answer that, but I bet you could tell me the last time you went to just "check in" on your bike. right? to me its kinda just a way of life. on the bike there's nothing to censor you from the smells of the orchards in spring, the sights and sounds are a little better and clearer and everything just seems in balance. so I guess I can't really say why I ride, but then I can't tell you why I was born either.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is my horse so to speak It represents a certian freedom that only people that share the passion can understand. It is hard to explain but you feel it everytime you thumb that start button. Nothing exists but you and the bike, The wind the peace... And the freaking blast of adrenalin when you paste that throttle.. lol ( Like you never do it)... Ahhh Im getting all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.
:Sport: