Why am I not scared anymore?

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I got a brand new '08 FZ6 about 2 months back after riding my '79 CB650 for 10 years. The first time I rode it home I finally got up the nerve to give it some throttle and it scared the **** outta me! I was thinking "so that's what all the fuss is about". Now here we are 2 months later and I'm already thinking about a trade-up to a 1000cc bike. The thrill of acceleration seems to be gone. I can give it full throttle at 3k and it feels like I'm waiting 30 seconds for the power to come on. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine bike and everything works great for commuting... I just miss that thrill/fear of impending doom. Is it just my juvenile death wish, or has anyone else experienced this "getting used to it" depression?

You will always get used to it. I suspect that even SR-71 pilots eventually got a little bored with going supersonic over the Soviet Union and outrunning anti-aircraft missiles.

Your immediate cure is, instead of giving it full throttle at 3k, give it full throttle at 8k. It should be more interesting.

Other than that, your only options are as follows.

1. Keep spending money and upgrading to a bigger, faster machine. I'd suggest reading the Toad of Toad Hall to see where this path will lead you. In short, financial ruin.

2. Up the ante. Want the thrill back? Start with track days, and if you like it, go racing. Track, drag bike, or go all out and build a machine that you can run a couple of times a year on the Bonneville salt flats. Financial ruin is almost certainty with this course, but I suspect you'll get the adraneline going again.

3. I love speed and I love to feel the acceleration, but nothing gets my heart going like a good run through some twisties. IMHO, much more challenging than just twisting the throttle and hanging on. Instead of pushing the engine, start pushing your own limits (with intelligence and safety in mind.)

Fred

AMEN!

it's like a drug... always trying to chase that feeling... just have to look for it in different places

Funny you should mention this. I'm experriencing the same thing in a way. I think I'm just getting truly comfortable on the bike now so I'm pushing it a bit harder. I find myself riding at higher RPM now and staying in gear longer. (From riding around @ 4K to 6-7K) My mileage is suffering, but it's a lot more fun.

I'm actually concerned that I'm getting a bit over-confident and that I should watch myself. I think I saw some statistic that most accidents happen in the second year of riding or something. That would be me.

Sorry for the hijack - back to your comment...

Maybe you should change your gearing a bit and go with -1 in the front for a while. When that gets old, then drop 2 in the back. Don't know after that. V-Max??

I think everyone will be the same. I remember my 125, thought that was quick when i first had a shot of a bike, 2 weeks later felt pig slow.

Then upgraded to a 400cc VFR, quick for a month then slow, now had the fazer 6 months or so and it feels slow with a pillion. Doesnt with just me but i need to wring its neck to get the thrills.

Im already looking forward to an R1, twice the power and less weight :rockon:

however, i agree with fred saying that track days will be good. Ive scared myself afew too many times on the roads, so will be looking to do a track bike r6 or similar next summer (funds allowing ofc)

3. I love speed and I love to feel the acceleration, but nothing gets my heart going like a good run through some twisties. IMHO, much more challenging than just twisting the throttle and hanging on. Instead of pushing the engine, start pushing your own limits (with intelligence and safety in mind.)
Fred

Well said. I have gotten used to accelerating up to 13k rpm by now, but the challenge for me is to become a good rider overall. And riding faster is not the same as riding better. I am reading books about motorcycles and I'm trying to develop my skills in different conditions and different environments. I feel confident on the bike, but I know there's soooo much more I need to learn and master before I can even start to see myself as a more or less experienced rider, let alone a "good" rider.

i agree 100% with Fred, i have been waiting over a year to do my 2nd track day after the first one. All i can remember s how much i hurt when i left and for the 3-4 days later and that i was shaking from adrenalin after each session.

I have been jonzing for another track day ever since...

The thrill of acceleration seems to be gone. I can give it full throttle at 3k and it feels like I'm waiting 30 seconds for the power to come on.

Well obviously, you're not riding in the right powerband, sounds like you're lugging the engine. Try riding at 8000rpms and above, it's a whole different animal.

As other members have said, it's not all about speed. Go hit some twisties at the track or in the mountains, but be careful.

You gotta be kidding. Twist the throttle wide-open at 3K while in 1st gear and you're bored? OMG. You get bored easily. Well, get that liter bike and start doing 9 something second 1/4 miles. I might move up to a liter bike, too, someday.

You will always get used to it. I suspect that even SR-71 pilots eventually got a little bored with going supersonic over the Soviet Union and outrunning anti-aircraft missiles.

Your immediate cure is, instead of giving it full throttle at 3k, give it full throttle at 8k. It should be more interesting.

Other than that, your only options are as follows.

1. Keep spending money and upgrading to a bigger, faster machine. I'd suggest reading the Toad of Toad Hall to see where this path will lead you. In short, financial ruin.

2. Up the ante. Want the thrill back? Start with track days, and if you like it, go racing. Track, drag bike, or go all out and build a machine that you can run a couple of times a year on the Bonneville salt flats. Financial ruin is almost certainty with this course, but I suspect you'll get the adraneline going again.

Fred

I've always felt that ANY fool can go straight. It takes a real hero to go left and right. Find a twisted road and twist the grip, GRUMPY:Flash:

You'll get used to it, that is normal for anything... just don't get lax. The second you get lax and assume that something is going to happen could mean your life.

you'll get used to anything, my R1 doesn't seem quite so fast anymore either.
go ride the twisties, that will scratch that itch you have.:thumbup:

Well said. I have gotten used to accelerating up to 13k rpm by now, but the challenge for me is to become a good rider overall. And riding faster is not the same as riding better. I am reading books about motorcycles and I'm trying to develop my skills in different conditions and different environments. I feel confident on the bike, but I know there's soooo much more I need to learn and master before I can even start to see myself as a more or less experienced rider, let alone a \"good\" rider.

Well said my brother... well said. Whom ever is reading this, please take notes and inbed this in your memory. Simply put, its not the machine its the rider.
My friend has Ninja 500, and boy let me tell you, this kid is always ahead of us in the twisties. I got my FZ6, my other friend has Honda CBR600RR, another got GXR-750, and he still takes us on the twisty roads. We told him to upgrade his bike just because, but he does not want to. His reply is why??? It still moves, just have to keep in the higher RPM to keep up with ya fellas.
So yeah, I have been riding only now for 4 months, and just listening and watching him on his Ninja for about 2 yrs or riding is making me a much better rider. I also stared to read books and watch youtube on pro cornering, trail braking, leaning outward from your seat, and much more. I take all of this in, take my baby to the road, and practice every single ride. FZ6 is beast of a bike if you ask me.
This is just my 2 cents.

Any monkey can twist the throttle. It's on youtube so it's got to be true right? :thumbup:

But yeah man, I agree with everyone else. Get to a track or some twistys. Opening the throttle at 3k in 1st should get you nice and high to ride a wheelie out up to about 65mph when it starts to bounce off the rev limiter. I"ve yet to figure out how to shift up while riding a wheelie. The fz6 stock gearing isn't really good at keeping it up in 2nd, but first is alot of fun. If you're bored opening the throttle in first on the fz6, you'll probably loop a liter bike.

If the main/only reason you ride is for the "thrill" then I suggest you make sure you have an up-to-date will and lots of life insurance since that's where this type of "jones" all to often leads. You might also want to take a look at the "RIP Rider" section of this board in case you might have forgotten the collateral you're putting up to cover that adrenaline high bet.

Hotei

I've always felt that ANY fool can go straight. It takes a real hero to go left and right. Find a twisted road and twist the grip, GRUMPY:Flash:

muchas glacias. hit those twisties, and work on form/technique...try hanging off the bike...think you've been sore in the legs? Took me 2 days to get my legs to normal after riding 8 hours of nothing but twisties and hanging off the turns (with an instructor to be safe for me).

Back