Who is responsible for providing passenger safety gear.

Who is responsible for providing passenger riding gear.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One day back in 1999 I took a ride with some friends, me on my K75. A friend of mine was a passenger on the back. She was wearing a miniskirt and tanktop and no helmet or other gear.

We got to 1174 and decided to do a high speed run. My passenger chose to get off the bike and wait.

Within 5 minutes the K75 was totalled and my friends were calling an ambulance for me.

I have no doubt that if my passenger had stayed on for that part of the ride, she would have gone home in a body bag.

So to answer your question, the passenger wears all the gear that I tell them to wear, or else the passenger gets to stay at home.

Fred

P.S. Here's a link to where I crashed. Heading north I ran off the road on the left hand curve. It's a blind hill followed by that left hander and I panicked.
bertram, tx - Google Maps
Now thats a spooky story mate. Which direction were you travelling in on the map? Left to right or right to left?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
North is usually up on a map so probably left to right.

Just wondering how fast does a k75 get to?

Fred's has a home grow turbo on it. I don't remember the bump in hp but the torque and cool factor are hard to beat.

I'd guess stock top end is 125 to 135. The K75 was great handling bike in the day, with a super smooth motor. It was liked better than the K100's of the day.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
This was a different K75 entirely, although the engine block is the one that you saw on the floor of my garage, Pete.

But in stock form, a K75 can do about 110mph. And that's about how fast I had it going at the time.

Fred

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I expect occasional passengers to provide their own gear. My wife has her own bike, thus her own gear (all red) but she also has a blue jacket and helmet to wear when she's a passenger with me (RARE!!!). Since her and my daughter are the same size, my daughter gets to wear her blue jacket and helmet, a spare pair of gloves, my wife's spare riding pants and her long boots.

Outside of this, if someone doesn't have the gear, I don't take them as a passenger, period!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL I just look hot I guess. LOL
No Pics needed please mate lol? Great chat up line though.
She " Im sorry are you checking out my ar5e"?
You "Well yes, actually. Do you rekon these will fit? Fancy a ride?"

You could be quids in on both fronts lol.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Ultimately, I feel the responsibility rests solely with the rider. Many passengers may not be educated in the risks - they simply want to ride.

I have a daughter, nine years of age, that is the best pillion rider and just loves the attention she gets when we ride. She is geared up as best as I can provide. I also limit the risk in when, where and how I ride with her.

Now I do understanding market forces, but it troubles me that it can be difficult to find gear for youths. I'm grateful that HJC, and Thor makes riding gear for our children. I wish others would do better.

I'm not sure what were going to do next year, she will be too big for the Thor gear and too small for the adult gear. :(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ultimately, I feel the responsibility rests solely with the rider. Many passengers may not be educated in the risks - they simply want to ride.

I have a daughter, nine years of age, that is the best pillion rider and just loves the attention she gets when we ride. She is geared up as best as I can provide. I also limit the risk in when, where and how I ride with her.

Now I do understanding market forces, but it troubles me that it can be difficult to find gear for youths. I'm grateful that HJC, and Thor makes riding gear for our children. I wish others would do better.

I'm not sure what were going to do next year, she will be too big for the Thor gear and too small for the adult gear. :(
In the UK Buffalo make a great range of childrens clothing that is CE marked.
BUFFALO CHILDS MOTORCYCLE JACKET SIZE SMALL on eBay, also Children's Jackets, Jackets, Motorcycle Clothing Helmets, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 27-Apr-08 12:54:54 BST)

My son has used there clothing since he was 10 years of age. I guess it may be hard to find an importer in the USA. Have you looked at MX clothing?

Nelly

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I don't take passengers as a general rule, as most of our friends and family members weigh more than me, and that isn't something I am comfortable with, but I have in the past (and probably will int he future) and the rule is the same as elf: Wear the same amount of gear as me. It is the passenger's responsibility to be properly geared, and if the passenger does not have the gear (let's be realistic, how many non-riders feel like spending upwards of $500 on gear that they will wear once or twice a year?) then it is the driver's responsibility to provide properly fitting gear. The driver can't be expected to have a full size run of snell-approved helmets, jackets in a full size run, and umpteen pairs of gloves and boots. If the right sizes can't be found, don't go. No ride is worth that risk.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's more up to the operator... much like a car. I won't give people a ride in my car if they don't buckle up. You are the on in control and are taking your passengers life in your hands. A helmet would be minimum.. I wouldn't let anyone on my bike w/o one, not even to pull it out of a garage. Now full gear, that's something I"d recommend, but if the passenger is fully aware of the risks, and I deem the conditions reasonably on the safe side (ie clear skies low traffic) I may let them on with just a helmet if they're an experienced But If we're goin anywhere crazy, or long distance, full gear.

I guess imo it's the passengers responsibilty to provide thier own gear, but the operators responsibilty to decide if it is proper/enough gear to be safe.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with above posts. Also, your insurance policy allows you to cover a passenger or not, so ultimately, you are reponsible. If you crash with a passenger then the passenger can sue you for medical expenses, etc....
Dani

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If the passenger is going to be riding with you often they should get their own gear. It is important to have safety gear on but if it don't fit properly then its not worth shi*.

S

sportrider

I won't let someone ride in my truck without a seatbelt on, the bike is no different (except the seatbelt part) I got a spare helmet & gloves. they need to have on over the ankle boots and long pants on.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a few helmets and jackets of various sizes hanging in the garage. It's there for passengers to borrow, if no one else is using it. They have to provide their own ankle protection and gloves. If my extra gear doesn't fit them, they have to provided their own stuff. Also, if they put up an argument over what I expect them to wear, they don't ride with me.