Who drives the Michelin Pilot Road 2? - vibrations

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Vibration at the frontwheel - solved

Edit: Problem solved, dealer didn't know how to manually balance the tire correctly.

Hello,

is here anybody who drives the Pilot Road 2 on the FZ6? I just switched from the BT20 to the standard-MPR2 and now I have big vibrations at speeds from 150km/h(90 mph) to 180km/h(111 mph). At speeds over tis the vibrations will be less. Under 150km/ all is fine, no vibrations. The vibrations are up-down not left-right. Maybe the tire isn't mounted correct. Will check this tomorrow.
Has anyone such experience?

Another interesting thing is, that here in Germany the tire configuration must be tested. For new bikes the bike manufacturer tests the tires and give them free for use. 2007 as the RJ14 came out, Yamaha tested the standard-MPR2 and allowed the use.

For the older RJ07 (2004-2008) the tire manufacturer tests the tires and can give them free, too. The interesting thing is, that Michelin doesn't allowed the use of the standard-MPR2 on the FZ6 RJ07 2004-2006.

At the end of 2008 Michelin brought out a new special version of the MPR2. With this new version Michelin gave them free for the FZ6 RJ07 2004-2006. But you have to use the special versions A and D for the RJ07:
front: Pilot Road 2 D 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) 2.5
rear: Pilot Road 2 A 180/55 ZR 17 (73W) 2.9

For the RJ14 the clearance was given out at 2007 by Yamaha. The special versions wasn out yet. So on the RJ14 you may only drive the standard version of the MPR 2 here in germany:
front: Pilot Road 2 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) 2.5
rear: Pilot Road 2 180/55 ZR 17 (73W) 2.9

So I just wonder if
a) The RJ07 (2004-2006) is regading tires so much different from the RJ14 (2007-now)
or
b) Yamaha didn't tests the tires as hard as Michelin does it. Which would mean the maybe for ALL FZ6 the special A and D variant of the MPR2 would be the better choice.

What do you think about that?

BR
Robert

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

I think you may have a defective tire, or that you have a out of balance tire.

Did you have them installed or did you do it your self?

If you set up a metal square (90 degree carpenter/machinist tool) and rotate the tire does it just barely touch all the way around or does it move off the metal for a short period?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it may be a balance issue if it only does it around a certain speed.

If you have it rebalanced and it still does it, make them replace the tire. I just went through several weeks of getting jerked around with this on my car I just got. Don't let them jerk you around, defective tires are a possibility, even an expensive tire like this. I bought a set of goodyear triple treads for my 07 Grand Prix GT with 17" rims. I paid about $180 less than they wanted because of a competitor's price match, but the set was still about $650. Long story short they couldn't believe a tire that expensive could be bad (well and they're lazy and have poor customer service), and they ended up replacing 5 tires (after I called corporate), that's right they had to replace one rim twice. Now it rides perfect. Except for the scratches on my rims.

W

wrightme43

Bad tires happen all the time. If someone has a problem at work that is the check I use, and the check I used to discover a defective MC tire that I installed myself.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Hi,

the problem is solved. The cause was that the tire dealer wasnt able to manually balance a motorcycle tire and did it wrong. After 2 retries I drove to the next yamaha dealer and let him balance the tire, and now all is fine.

BTW, I love the MPR2, just as nice as I had him on my TRX. Here it was 2007 and 2008 the winner of the touring-sport-tire-test. With the hard component in the middle you can drive the tire long until you need a new and with the softer component on the sides you have much fun in the corners. :)
Just try it!

Best Regards
Robert

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Whew, you scared me. I have a pair in the garage waiting for spring.

Hehe, OK, I change the topic name now it's solved. Be happy, for me it's the best tire I ever had! (OK, maybe supersport tires have the same grip but they are all other than economical).

BR Robert

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever I read about guys putting on their own tyres I lways ask "How do you balance them" I never get a reply. It is almost as if they don`t want to hear that or it is not important.

If you don`t balance them right the bike will never ride right...as it has just been proved.

Steve