which of these are the best tires to go for??

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
hi i am torn between pirelli angels st, michelin pilot road2 or the new pilot road 3. i do a lot of commuting and would like to get a tire with decent grip and wear life :thumbup:
i live in ireland and the cheapest price of the tires notincluding fitting works out at:
pirelli angels $233
roads 2 $340
roads 3 $365

the pirellis are a nice bit cheaper so i was wondering how do they stack up??

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
They're all great tires... i currently have the Angel ST's on the Versys... ZZR has the pr3's which replaced the pr2's and i'd buy all of the again... so far 3k miles on the ST's they look showroom fresh.... Pr2's lasted me about 10k on the rears...

Right now i'd go with the pr2's or 3's just because idk how long the Pirellis last, but man do the Angels stick to the road :rockon:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right now i'd go with the pr2's or 3's just because idk how long the Pirellis last, but man do the Angels stick to the road :rockon:

I've found that with Pirellis, you don't get great mileage, but they stick like glue!

Nice soft compound, fantastic road holding - just not for very long. (I've heard less than half Michelins)

Cheers,
Rick

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Have had a lot of good luck with the PR2's. Ive got a few friends with 10,000+ miles on them and they definitely aren't nice to them! No complaints on stickiness. Seems to work great on the occasional couple hour sunday afternoon ride, and equally as good on the 2,000 mile road trip.

Also have a friend running PR3's on his monster 1100s. He seems to be very happy with them as well.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently running PR2's with 13-14k on them. The bike is now stored for the winter, but I'll probably run them a bit in the Spring before getting new ones. When that happens, I'm just getting another set of PR2's.

The word I've heard is that the PR3's are better in the wet, but that PR2's are a better all around tire for sport-touring. Better in the dry, better mileage, more even wear pattern, etc. If I rode more in the rain, I'd consider the PR3s, but I tend to avoid this when possible, so the PR2s are the better tire for my purposes.

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched to Pilot Road 2s at the end of the season. I put 2300 miles on them and they still look brand new (and I'm a fairly aggressive rider).

I ran through 3 sets of Dunlap Q2s this year as well. Great tire for stickyness but horrible tread life (3000 out of a rear and 4500 out of a front). Switched to the PR2 and very happy, they feel 90% as good as the Q2s and last 3-4x

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
i find it hard to believe that these tires are lasting >10k miles as most bikers i speak to say about 5k miles is about all to expect from a set of tires at best....
must be all the pot holes on irish roads :thumbup:

i commute in all weathers, heavy rain, cold weather, just about everything apart from snow ;)
so i wouldn't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for better tires. the guy i got the bike said the bt020 are the best tire for the fz6 and are recommended for it. his friend got slightly cheaper tires for his fz6 and it was like a different bike. i find this surprising as i thought bridgestones weren't supposed to be a great tire with long warm up times etc, however i found them great so far with a decent amount of grip :rockon:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've heard good things about the PR3's, i'd probably go with them, especially if you do a lot of commuting

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently running PR2's with 13-14k on them. The bike is now stored for the winter, but I'll probably run them a bit in the Spring before getting new ones. When that happens, I'm just getting another set of PR2's.

The word I've heard is that the PR3's are better in the wet, but that PR2's are a better all around tire for sport-touring. Better in the dry, better mileage, more even wear pattern, etc. If I rode more in the rain, I'd consider the PR3s, but I tend to avoid this when possible, so the PR2s are the better tire for my purposes.

I am also running the PR2's and have 10,000 miles on them. They are a super tire that I am very happy with. Estimating getting another 4-6k miles out of these. I would certainly go with PR2 again but didn't michelin stop making them? That would mean only stock left is tires that are a year old or older.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I switched to Pilot Road 2s at the end of the season. I put 2300 miles on them and they still look brand new (and I'm a fairly aggressive rider).

I ran through 3 sets of Dunlap Q2s this year as well. Great tire for stickyness but horrible tread life (3000 out of a rear and 4500 out of a front). Switched to the PR2 and very happy, they feel 90% as good as the Q2s and last 3-4x

This is exactly the feedback I was hoping to hear - someone else who uses basically track day DOTs, going to a sport-touring tire.

I am really thinking ST tires for the next round (I just put on a fresh set of Q2s that I had bought during a Cycle Gear sale). I think I just don't ride hard or fast enough - and not on the track any more - for a super sticky, low-mileage tire on my street bike.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I am also running the PR2's and have 10,000 miles on them. They are a super tire that I am very happy with. Estimating getting another 4-6k miles out of these. I would certainly go with PR2 again but didn't michelin stop making them? That would mean only stock left is tires that are a year old or older.

That's a good question. I'm not sure, but wasn't aware if they stopped making them. Given that they sit on my bike for a couple years, I don't see any harm in it being a few months old on the shelf. A few years on the shelf might be concerning.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
as far as i know michelin are still making pr2's. they continued to make the single compound roads well after introducing the pr2's.

i have over 1500miles on the pr2's so far and am very happy with them. plenty of grip and great in the rain :Flip: