Whirring Noise from the front end?

AdventAvalon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 Fz6 and lately I've noticed a whirring noise around 45-50 and also around 60. I usually try and either speed out of it or slow down because it is pretty loud. It seems to be coming from the front end and when I pull in the clutch, it is still there. Is that sound anything to worry about or should I get it checked out? Maybe the chain is just too tight?

A couple of notes, I did have the chain readjusted a couple of months ago and the bike has just under 3000 miles but, as it is an 06, I was thinking it was sitting around a lot without very much maintenance. I found this out after I got the coolant changed. (It had turned into something with the consistency of oil.) I have also had the brakes checked out and the brake fluid changed.

I've noticed after reading through forums that Yamaha's seem to have their own quirks, so maybe it is just normal. Thanks for any input. :)

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if it is a low kinda growl, its wind noice of the fairing or the intake tracks.. i have noticed that kind of noise around 4.5k rpm up to about 6k. only in higher gears..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might look rather squid like but throwing your left knee out at a 45° allows sounds to come right off the front sprocket to your ear. Bring it in and then do the right side. If there is no change in sound, its likely not from the sprocket.

When on the center stand the bikes like the full 2" of chain movement as measured just past the swing arm protector (just behind the S/A pivot). Too tight and there's a pretty good whine from the gear box. Same is true for a dry chain.

I'd confirm your brakes are not dragging. Complete both as they support one another.

1) get the bike in the air and spin each wheel. The front should easily make 3+ revolutions. The rear is subject to drag from the chain and gear box. Do the rear with a warm engine and it should spin at least 2 revolutions.
2) After riding for say 5 min using the brakes as little as possible, coast to a stop from 60 mph using little to NO brakes and promptly check the temperature of all 3 rotors. All should be cool to the touch. Start at the inside and work your way out as it could be dangerously hot!

Repeat after riding for 45 minutes. Trapped air in the brake system can induce brake drag as the fluid and components heat.

Also, while the nose is up, try to rock the front wheel from side to side between the fork legs. There should be ZERO detectable movement.

That's what comes to mind at this time.

AdventAvalon

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for my delayed response. It is currently finals week here and I've been behind a book or two all week. But, thank you for the input and advice. I will definitely try your suggestions and see what I can find out. Hopefully it is just wind noise from the fairings. :D

P.S. It seems speed related from 45-65 mph. Though traveling at higher rpms seems to lower the whirring.

Last edited:

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the cards out of the front tire and don't make motor sounds while riding!
Just havin fun!! Good luck and listen to FinalImpact.
He knows more about the FZ6 then I ever will! :rockon: Rich